New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

SpaceEngine

Comments

• LoafmeisterLoafmeister Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi,

I just wanted to add to the comments. I'm an amateur astronomer (very amateur ;)), I've taken some pics with my telescope, quality isn't great but IMHO I'm having fun and doing what I always dreamed I could do, so very happy.

Part of that dream (barring some unforeseen development in space travel) was to somehow, some day travel across our solar system and beyond. Little did I think it was possible that the day I thought would be in maybe 10-20 years... is now.

First things' first: this is an amazing app! I have an oculus ready PC and I can tell you the performance is top notch in desktop mode. Just incredible, the graphical effects, never mind that this is a free download is just outstanding. Well done SpaceEngineer, well done and I can promise you I will be donating very soon for sure, it's well earned.

Now onto the Oculus support. I read of this app on the Oculus reddit forum where a user was saying he got his DK1 to work using the app switcher (to load firmware 0.5) and version 0.973. I promised (and being a fan of the genre, owed it to myself) to download everything (and even added on the beta 0.974) and try and see if I could get the DK2 to work. Unfortunately, it was a long and painful effort without the successful result. I got the menu to load in the DK2, however there was poor convergence of the images and it was not playable.

Now I didn't read the SpaceEngine forums as of yet so it's possible what I'm about to mention was common knowledge but as I didn't read about it here, well here you go: beta 0.974 has 0.8 support!

KAPOW!

Yep, the menu is even detached from the grid and it works very well. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the cursor is not displaying the same in both eyes and therefore you can't "right click" on an object and select goto to travel there, you end up selecting another background star instead. You can still manage to get around that via menu and the search tool but for the 1 hour of incredible fun I've just gone through, I'm not in a complaining mood right now ;).

The oculus experience is scaled down somewhat compared to the desktop mode (def feels much lower res) however what is there seems to work well and for sure it could be I have to adjust some settings to retain some visual fidelity of the desktop experience. Of course, once the CV1 hits, it should automatically be improved right there!

This to me, at the moment anyway, is the surprise homerun for an Oculus DK2 app, just came out of nowhere. Is this beta support for 0.8 known?? Anyway, I'll be cross-posting most of this message on Reddit, hopefully there will be more support thrown your way Vladimir, because as stated earlier, it's bloody earned!

Thanks!

Loaf
  • SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 704
    Trinity
    I have been following space engine for about 10 years now

.... great its getting support for .8.0!
  • schummy1schummy1 Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    Amazing work!
    Now it deserve a CV1 support! :) As soon as it came out! :D
  • bud01bud01 Posts: 169
    Hiro Protagonist
    Apparently some one got elite dangerious working with .08 and cv1, so if space engine have at least .08 then it should work.
  • SpaceEngineerSpaceEngineer Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    Dev version 0.9.7.4 supports ovrlib 0.8, you can download it here
    http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/21-3022-1
  • bud01bud01 Posts: 169
    Hiro Protagonist
    If there are a bunch of supportive people here, I would be interested for the greater good of space education and also VR, if we could club together and help secure a HTC vive Dev kit for this author,

Space engineer, if you was provided a HTC vive, would you consider making your app available via steam and making good use of room scale VR? ( also keeping the oculas support?)

There is nothing wrong with trying to help space educational VR aspects, I would love to see this app continue to grow and take advantage of new technology's and means to convey about space.
  • gutanggutang Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    Will this work with 0.6 runtime? I cant select the oculus rift option under display in either direct or extended modes and the hotkey doesnt work either.
  • schummy1schummy1 Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I've tried the latest beta: I can choose Oculus Rift on the settings but it doesn't works. I can see only the sky with stars.
    Any advice?
  • SteffenSteffen Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    I really want to try this, but the game won't start at all even with a re-install.
    I've tried running in extended, Rift as primary, and everything else I can think of but nada.

I'm running Nvidia GTX 780 so it's not the AMD issue obv...

Looks so awesome, I want to see it work lol!!!

:D

Edit: NVM figured it out, running as admin in win 8.1 did the trick.
    This is amazing. Simply amazing. All it needs is a de-coupled GUI that we can look around at, and the ability to disable it altogether for immersion purposes and we would be golden.
    Excellent work OP! :)
    Thanks that worked for me two
  • WOW... this is just amazing. I hope you get the DK2 man
    VRBilling.com | SharpVR.com |VRClique.com | GamesInVR.com
  • gutanggutang Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    I got it working. Just need to be able to get rid of the hud now.
    Brain Burst
    bud01 wrote:
    Space engineer, if you was provided a HTC vive, would you consider making your app available via steam and making good use of room scale VR? ( also keeping the oculas support?)
    Sure.
    gutang wrote:
    Will this work with 0.6 runtime?
    No. Latest build is using 0.8 Runtime. Absence of backward compatibility is a drawback of Oculus SDK, I hope they stop making incompatible updates soon.
    schummy1 wrote:
    've tried the latest beta: I can choose Oculus Rift on the settings but it doesn't works. I can see only the sky with stars.
    Any advice?
    Try troubleshooting methods described here http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/4-2977-1
    This is for previous build, but may work for the current one.
    VRDomains wrote:
    WOW... this is just amazing. I hope you get the DK2 man
    I have DK2 :)
    gutang wrote:
    I got it working. Just need to be able to get rid of the hud now.
    HUD locking/unlocking is configured in the display menu (where you choose the Oculus mode, Ctrl-F8).
    Bottom/side panels can be hidden by pressing pin buttons on them (they have 3 states).
    Onscreen HUD toggled by pressing Ctrl-~
    Ooops FPS counter ignores the state of onscreen HUD, this is bug :) but it can be disabled by typing FPS in the console.
  • Dark_FreadDark_Fread Posts: 58
    Brain Burst
    That just rocks. Great work.
    OR DKII - Win7 64 - Phenom X4 965 - Radeon R9 380 2Go (15.7 driver) - RT v7.0
  • JShepardJShepard Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Please update for 1.3 so we can run it on CV1.
    Brain Burst
    New version SpaceEngine 0.98 has been released - download on the official website. It still uses 0.8 runtime though.

I'm working on integrating OpenVR, will get HTC Vive this weekend. Does it supports CV1 aswell? Or should I keep a native code for libOVR for better performance? I tried some OpenVR demo code with DK2 (0.8 runtime) and t seems work. Not sure about 1.3, and about CV1.
  • Gwiz84Gwiz84 Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    I have to say this looks amazing! I'm very interested even in the sim alone.

What direction are you thinking of going with the game? I would humbly suggest you make it a single player experience, where you have to unravel some great existential mystery by travelling to amazing places and discovering fragments/clues to put together the pieces of what your trying to find the answer to, or something like that.

Amazing work! Really big fan already!
  • Manav08Manav08 Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    @SpaceEngineer - It should since openvr wraps the oculus sdk so it should work with latest version! I think? Someone can correct me
    Brain Burst
    Implemented OpenVR support, and also updated native Oculus SDK support to 1.6. It seems Oculus Home detects my DK2, but not DK1. Is there a way to make it work with DK1? If no, I should keep SDK 0.8 support in engine.
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    Sorry can't help you much there! Maybe also take the opportunity to get one of the eager guys here to test with CV1.
  • AGL1AGL1 Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    @SpaceEngineer CV1 owner here, can you tell mw which version number you have released that has 1.6 Oculus runtime support please?
    Brain Burst
    Really want this to work with CV1  :o
    Brain Burst
    I haven't released it yet. It is will WIP.
    Brain Burst
    Any dates? :)
    Brain Burst
    Wtf, sometimes app deadlocked in ovr_Initialize(), typically at first run after system boot. How to fix that?
  • I too am waiting eagerly on the edge of my seat for space engine to be released for the CV1!!!! 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,601 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Wtf, sometimes app deadlocked in ovr_Initialize(), typically at first run after system boot. How to fix that?
    That sounds odd. How long after system boot? Could windows still be starting some background stuff and the Oculus service hasn't started yet?

Also, were you wearing the HMD when it started? The first run will block the game (well, block it from being seen, I haven't tested to see if it deadlocks the init) until the safety warning is approved in VR. After that it shouldn't appear again until you've gone too long without being in VR.

Brain Burst
    If launch Oculus Home before launching the game, it don't deadlock.
    Brain Burst
    So I am focused now on better VR support. What I planning to do:

- Vive controllers support (WIP), interface toolbars appeared as "holograms" near them in VR. If some window is opened, it became fixed in space in front of user, "laser ray" emitted by controller is used to simulate mouse cursor (as it done in every game for Vive). For Oculus, look directly at the interface element (crosshair point will be rendered in center of view to help this) and press A controller button.
    - Decouple move direction from view direction, as has been discussed here.
    - Motion direction in Vive is pointed by "laser". Controller's touchpad to adjust speed, second touchpad to change stereobase.
    - Restrict planet LOD at large stereobase (let's call it "God eye mode"). It will help to reduce load on processor and GPU. Only coarse LOD levels are needed if planet have a size of apple.
    - Disable collision detection with planets in the "God eye mode". It really disturbing. [done]
    - Render something inside planets. It's possible to enter inside planets in "God eye mode", so some red glow could be better than nothing.
    - Make a near clipping plane changed together with stereobase. It will help to get rid of stars flying directly into eyes.
    - Fade out star lens flare from larger distance in God mode. So sun will not blind when you approach it to observe.
    - Orbit points must have constant size in space (don't change size when you approach them, as regular billboards). [done]
    - Text labels near stars and planets must be fixed in 3D, and also have constant size.
    - Don't turn view to the target when using "goto" function to avoid sickness, instant turn when using "center" function.
    - Reduce distance unit in SE. Now it is 1 parsec, so smallest possible move is 1 pc / 2^64 = 3 mm - too much for VR. You can notice this if trying to explore small space ship (with time paused, to disable more large wobbling due to floating point precision issues).
    - The chart mode interface should be moved to controller's "holograthic toolbars". It also should have a mode where planets are placed next to each other in order of their orbit size, ie Mercury-Venus-Earth an so on (like in the "Titans of Space").
    - Solar system browser should be a variation of the chart mode. Maybe something similar to a system map in Elite Dangerous. Could be useful in non-VR mode also.
    - The map mode will be wonderful in a room-scale VR. Imagine looking into a holographic sphere in center of your room, which represents a spherical slice of the Universe. Change scale with controller to zoom from a planet to a galaxy. Draw planned path for a ship using controller as 3D paint brush. Indeed, maybe some futuristic room model must be used in this mode.

Other suggestions?
    Brain Burst
    Seems pretty extensive! Nice start :)
  • This sounds so amazing... I cannot wait for oculus support. I will probably be the thing I spend most of my time with in the Rift