Nighttime Terror Demo - now available on Oculus Home — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Nighttime Terror Demo - now available on Oculus Home

skyworxxskyworxx Posts: 233 Oculus Start Member
edited February 2016 in Samsung Gear VR
Nighttime Terror

ERtYOZAl.jpg

www.NighttimeTerror.com

You can grab Nighttime Terror via Oculus Home. If you have Rift, visit the above link for the Windows demo.

And this is the Share page:
https://share.oculus.com/app/nighttime-terror-demo

This is the old post. I keep it up because it demonstrates how the injector tool worked.
Installation
Testing apps on GearVR is not as trivial as on the Rift, since apps need to contain a device specific signature file. Usually, this signature file has to be included at compile time, however I have written GearVRPublicAPKTesting, a little tool which can inject signature files into an existing apk.
  1. Download my game: http://vr-bits.com/#nighttimeterror Preview is now closed. Thanks to everyone for testing the game. Expect a GearVR release in the near future.
  2. Use this Android app to get your device id (also made by me): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skyworxx.gearvrnote4deviceidgrabber
  3. Create a signature file on this website: https://developer.oculus.com/tools/debug/
  4. Download this tool and unpack it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyi8xnxxakpq6km/GearVRPublicAPKTesting_0.0.2.7z?dl=0 (it requires JRE)
  5. Place my game and your signature file in the folder of the tool
  6. In a command prompt navigate to that folder and run:
    run.bat NighttimeTerror_0.16_LAUNCHER.apk YOUR_SIGNATURE_FILE
    Replace YOUR_SIGNATURE_FILE with the name of your signature file
    For mac users, calling the PublicAPKTesting.jar directly should work:
    java -jar PublicAPKTesting.jar NighttimeTerror_0.16_LAUNCHER.apk YOUR_SIGNATURE_FILE
  7. A new apk has been created with the name signed_NighttimeTerror_0.16_LAUNCHER.apk. Transfer it to your phone. select it in the 'my files" file browser, install it and launch it from the app drawer (NOT from Oculus Home)
  8. Start the game and enter your username (right panel) if you like. Let's see who can beat the highscore :D

Comments

• Awesome! Giving it a shot right now and I'll let you know how it goes :D

Edit: So just got done playing for about 20-30 min, overall I think it's a fun game. The head movement for character movement takes a bit to get used to. I'm not sure if you have it that way for people without controllers or for difficulty reasons but I feel like it would be a lot easier if you added controller movement instead.

My favorite level was the bedroom because of the smaller space. It was easier to focus on what is around you and the enemies seemed to have an easier time pathing to you so there was more action. I noticed on the christmas level that the enemies were starting waaaaaay to the right and walking along the outside of the rug before coming in to attack you and with the size of that level it made it feel really slow and empty. Also noticed a bunch of things that I could walk through or shoot through but I'm sure you're working on those.

The music on the menu was nice but it was weird that you didn't have any playing during the levels. I also noticed that with my BT headphones there was about a half second to second delay in the audio but when I plugged my wired headphones in that was gone. I know Zero-gee has mentioned on the GearVR reddit that there are latency issues with BT headphones on the Note 4 so I wasn't sure if that was the issue or if it is something else.

Overall it was a fun demo and I was able to see another person on the Global Scoreboard so that is fun to compete on. I loved the Technolust present and the Darkfield poster, awesome nods to other great VR games.

Your signature tool worked great for me and hopefully it will inspire other devs to release apks for testing now.

If there is anything else you're interested in knowing or that you want tested specifically you can PM me and I can take a look for you. Thank you for all the hard work you've done on making the tools so we can test these apks!
  • skyworxxskyworxx Posts: 233 Oculus Start Member
    Thanks for testing!

My guesstimate is that roughly 25% of all GearVR users don't have a gamepad. This is why the controls are look based for the GearVR version. I am working on a Rift version which will have controller support, but I didn't want to fragment the leaderboards too much (e.g. Gear-Look, Gear-Gamepad, Rift-Look, Rift-Gamepad).

If the music was turned off during the levels, try toggling the music options in the menu, the default is probably "off" even though the toggle shows "on".

Glad you found the easter eggs :).

The testing process is not that comfortable at the moment. I am working on a more streamlined solution.

Thanks again for testing. Now I am off to beat your highscore :).
  • natbronatbro Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    nice instructions for re-packing an APK - that would be an awesome standalone tool for people to use to share APK's with one another, especially with novice/non-programmer users. but for now super useful instructions just for testing with other technical folks, thanks for figuring it out!
  • I get "Nighttime Terror has closed unexpectedly" after 2-4 seconds of music and a black screen
    natbro wrote:
    nice instructions for re-packing an APK - that would be an awesome standalone tool for people to use to share APK's with one another, especially with novice/non-programmer users. but for now super useful instructions just for testing with other technical folks, thanks for figuring it out!

I am working on a more streamlined solution for sharing apks :).

rsplatpc wrote:
    I get "Nighttime Terror has closed unexpectedly" after 2-4 seconds of music and a black screen

That is really odd. Did you inject the signature file and transfer the "signed_" apk over to the phone?
    Kingchud wrote:
    I noticed on the christmas level that the enemies were starting waaaaaay to the right and walking along the outside of the rug before coming in to attack you and with the size of that level it made it feel really slow and empty.

Ah, I looked at the level again and found the problem. Enemies can now climb onto the carpet :). Will release a new version shortly
  • Awesome! Glad I could help :D
  • can someone post a video of game play. As t9 not having a controller most people with out a controller are less likely to be gamers on the gear vr, I would think.
  • mallmagicianmallmagician Posts: 297 Oculus Start Member
    Not tried it yet, but I do think that game pad support on those games that would benefit from it, should be included. I think that anyone that has bought the Gear VR is likely to get themselves a game pad after realising they can't play a number of the games.

I think anyone that doesn't have a game pad and that will not buy one, are using the Gear VR for movies and photos exclusively, with little to no interest in the games (because if they were interested - they'd have bought a gamepad)
  • Can anyone do this? Or i need something else that you didnt mention one link tell that i need to have developer android computer configuration
    Can anyone do this? Or i need something else that you didnt mention one link tell that i need to have developer android computer configuration

Everything you need should be in the steps above. No developer options are needed.
    I uploaded a new version, 0.09, which fixes the broken navigation in the Christmas level. Thanks to everyone who helped testing.

The way I see it, we have to beat rnrpax's highscore of a 114 in the office level now :)
  • Great i got it to work i just google how to use comand pront and now i have the demo installed great anyone can do it :) and is a great and fun demo on one point i find myself running from 20 little monters lol i will like to try it with a gamepad support, thanks a lot for sharing
  • Hey, I really want to try your game but I'm a total noob when it comes to stuff like apks. I understand most of the instructions but I don't understand about writ in my signature file. Can you give me more instruction for a noob
  • Also how do I launch the game. Do I plug it into the phone like normal and will it be in the installed section?
  • UnclePappyUnclePappy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Hmmmm.... I'm getting stopped at step 3. The page says I need to log in to continue. And the page just hangs after I click "log in" and the Oculus logo just rotates. So this is as far as I can get.
  • tocsrechnotocsrechno Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    great work. nice guide to compile.

as far as controllers go. i believe this game would not benefit with that function.
    it seems to be made specifically for the touchpad and head tracking. and it works very well with it.
    i wouldnt waste time into getting it controller ready.
  • UnclePappy wrote:
    Hmmmm.... I'm getting stopped at step 3. The page says I need to log in to continue. And the page just hangs after I click "log in" and the Oculus logo just rotates. So this is as far as I can get.
    Just have to log in with your oculus website id in that wensite you have to put your device id that you get from the app that he created and them click download that file will be your signature file
  • tocsrechno wrote:
    great work. nice guide to compile.

as far as controllers go. i believe this game would not benefit with that function.
    it seems to be made specifically for the touchpad and head tracking. and it works very well with it.
    i wouldnt waste time into getting it controller ready.

I think the benefit will that you can shoot while your moving i notice when i shoot to a target the character stop.
  • Also how do I launch the game. Do I plug it into the phone like normal and will it be in the installed section?

Ones you get your signed_NighttimeTerror_0.09.apk file tranfer it to your note 4 then when you find it, instal the file and the it will show a app with a unity logo click on it and then use you gear vr
  • UnclePappyUnclePappy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    UnclePappy wrote:
    Just have to log in with your oculus website id in that wensite you have to put your device id that you get from the app that he created and them click download that file will be your signature file

I'm logged into the Oculus site now. Step 3 page says I can't enter any info until I log in. But when I click "log in", the page just hangs up, Oculus logo spinning. I can enter anything w/o logging in.
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    UnclePappy wrote:
    UnclePappy wrote:

I'm logged into the Oculus site now. Step 3 page says I can't enter any info until I log in. But when I click "log in", the page just hangs up, Oculus logo spinning. I can enter anything w/o logging in.

I had the same issue with Chrome and couldn't login, then i tried it on Firefox, with similar issues, only after i deactivated the noscript plugin, i could login. But it's still weird that it diden't work with Chrome, as i don't have a noscript plugin installed there.
    Brain Burst
    So i tested the app and here are some thoughts:

1. I noticed some occasional frameratedrops but that could have been because my battery was already low, therefore not sure.
    2. When the levels are being loaded, the time to read how to control the game and about power ups was way to short for me. Better would be if you could tab again to confirm reading them.
    3. After the hero dies, i can still shoot around and kill monsters.
    4. On the one hand it would be more comfortable to control the game with a gamepad + headmovements for the shooting direction, as you could move and shoot at the same time but on the other hand, it would make the game easier, so not sure what is better after all.
    5. It would be nice if you could not only shoot in one layer direction but also up and down, similar to Herobound with crosshairs to show you where you are shooting at. But this could also make the game easier asswell, so also not sure if better.

But overall it's a fun little game.
    Thanks for your thoughts :)

1. Do the framedrops occur randomly or when many enemies are on the screen?
    2. Yes, this will be addressed soon
    3. Fixed in the new version :)
    edited January 2015
    I uploaded a new version (0.11) which contains more original art and bugfixes.

ERtYOZAl.jpg

The game's difficulty has changed due to the inclusion of ranged enemies (the chameleon). The leaderboard will be wiped in the coming days to ensure a fair comparison :)
    Brain Burst
    skyworxx wrote:
    Thanks for your thoughts :)

1. Do the framedrops occur randomly or when many enemies are on the screen?
    2. Yes, this will be addressed soon
    3. Fixed in the new version :)

Oh noes my poor highscore record is only so young and will be killed soon :(

1) I think it mostly occures when there are many enemies on screen but occasional also when only a few are there.
    2) Oddly in Version 0.09 i thought it was already plenty of time to read
    Brain Burst
    Version 0.11:

1.The level loading screen which also explains the power ups and controll, seems to be showing black squares when moving the head.
    2.The crosshairs seem to stutter/judder at times when moving around.

Edit: 3. It would be nice to see how much health is left before dieing, since you can heal yourself but don't know when you should.
    0.15 brings many (many) improvements. Highlights are:
    • Vertical Aiming
    • Health Indicator
    • Redesigned Bleak Bedroom
    0.15b fixes a bug in the office level whoch stopped at wave 3

http://vr-bits.com/#nighttimeterror
  • GizuGizu Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    The link to download your game on your website brings me to a Google URL Shortener page and won't open a download.

"http://goo.gl/7XttKh – this goo.gl shortlink has been disabled. It was found to be violating our Terms of Service. Click here and here for more information about our terms and policies respectively."