New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Classic Gaming Emulation on Gear VR?

BoffinBoffin Posts: 62
edited January 2015 in Samsung Gear VR
I was just wondering if anybody is working on any type of way to play with the classic gaming emulators on the Gear VR? It would be kind of cool to play them on a "Big Screen".

Comments

• munkondimunkondi Posts: 107
    yes, second that - that would be amazing!
  • FPSE implemented a way to play PS1 games with the headset. Waiting for mine to come in the mail to try it! I was going to try to see if I could implement this into the N64oid but my knowledge of how to work with coding is very minimal sadly..
  • mallmagicianmallmagician Posts: 297 Oculus Start Member
    FPSE implemented a way to play PS1 games with the headset. Waiting for mine to come in the mail to try it! I was going to try to see if I could implement this into the N64oid but my knowledge of how to work with coding is very minimal sadly..
    Oh I have fpse, do you have a link saying how they have implemented GearVR?
  • The latest update just go into settings, advance, video and all the way at the bottom youll see virtual reality I think. Enable that and it generates 2 screens. Its not perfect, I think he said he did the basic implementation but will update it more later on.
  • This is a response from the creator of FPSE for the PS1 emulator. Right now it works but he says it will be better in the next release. He has a Gear VR so he is definatly on the team!

• munkondimunkondi Posts: 107
    fantastic news!
    how do you actually turn off Gear VR services? don't want to do anything silly
  • acem77acem77 Posts: 48
    Would love vr boy, 3d sega master system and 3d Famicom game emulation support. Jumping flash needs a reboot on samsung vr
  • YeticrabYeticrab Posts: 91
    NerveGear
    Old low resolution games won't look right projected very large. Perhaps it may be cooler to recreate a retro living room or arcade experience.
  • acem77acem77 Posts: 48
    Yeticrab wrote:
    Old low resolution games won't look right projected very large. Perhaps it may be cooler to recreate a retro living room or arcade experience.

That's just your opinion. No reason it should not be done. any how the vr boy was up close vr like display just all in red and no motion tracking. I'd love to try any game on a mega screen!
  • Oh yeah, it will be awesome to play my PS1 games on a giant virtual screen. Can somebody make a screenshot so i can see how the GearVR support looks like on fpse?
  • JCatJCat Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    Yeticrab wrote:

I don't know about that. You can't get any more retro-looking than Llamasoft's Minotaur Rescue on the Gear, yet it's awesome being immersed inside of that big-ass pixel goodness. Just like the non-VR current state of gaming, there's definitely a place for old-school goodness. I also agree about the retro living room or arcade (they already have few of those on the Rift DK1/2) where the games are inside of an upright cabinet.
  • YeticrabYeticrab Posts: 91
    NerveGear
    JCat wrote:
    Yeticrab wrote:

I don't know about that. You can't get any more retro-looking than Llamasoft's Minotaur Rescue on the Gear, yet it's awesome being immersed inside of that big-ass pixel goodness. Just like the non-VR current state of gaming, there's definitely a place for old-school goodness. I also agree about the retro living room or arcade (they already have few of those on the Rift DK1/2) where the games are inside of an upright cabinet.

There's a big difference between retro style and actual old graphics. Minotaur Rescue is retro style, but still renders at screen resolution. Old sprite base console games (SNES and earlier) benefit from the "small screen resolution enhancment." ;)

graphics like this are meant to be seen 0.5 inches tall, not 3 feet ;)

60686973_fa9a90c432.jpg

I'd like to see an atari 2600 emulator that looks like this (minus the kids):
    lbdc.jpg
  • arnoudharnoudh Posts: 333
    NerveGear
    I don't know... Just being able to play a game like Duck Hunt with the VR would be uber-cool :geek:

It is 90% about the gameplay, the graphics should be secondary... That was the strong point about the retro games.
  • BoffinBoffin Posts: 62
    Some type of retro arcade/basement would be cool. But even some type of experience such as the Cinema with varying screen sizes for games that are just too pixelated when viewed on a simulatsimulated 100 foot screen. It would be cool to meet a friend or anybody in some type of virtual environment for some rounds of Mortal Kombat,Street Fighter II, or TMNT Co-Op!.
  • I use an snes emulator on my 55" screen and it is just as enjoyable as it was on the old 17" screens, and remember while the cinema simulates a 100 foot screen or whatever, its still using less pixels than my 55" tv does
  • vdrutsvdruts Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    I would LOVE to be able to play SNES games on a good emulator like Snes9X in a GearVR/3D environment like Occulus Arcade; would be amazing to be in-front of an oldschool looking yet large TV with an snes beside you and a gamepad in your hands or something. Honestly would be amazing! I hope someone is working on this! :)