New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

TekRok - StonePunk Shooter

jmorris142jmorris142 Posts: 83
edited August 2015 in Showcase
This is something I have been working on myself since getting my DK2, demo almost complete in a week or two and ready to play, screenshots and video of game play below.

I am after some advice before I complete this and put it on the share section for download.
2 Things,
1. Best way to get this working on GearVR also? (I am using Unity, direct to rift)
2. How can I get the mouse to stop clicking on the desktop and loosing focus from the game when in direct mode, big issue.
Thanks.

Screenshot_Small_06.jpg

Screenshot_Small_03.jpg

Screenshot_Small_04.jpg

Screenshot_Small_05.jpg

Comments

• moujamouja Posts: 126
    Hiro Protagonist
    That looks good. I hope you find the help required.
  • mouja wrote:
    That looks good. I hope you find the help required.

Hi mouja, thank you. I have tracked down info on the gear VR. Just need to figure out this mouse issue now:)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Looks cool.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Looks cool.

Thanks cybereality.

If anyone wants to try this out, I just put together the first 2 of 7 levels in the demo, part of a much larger story. I'm looking for feedback back on any issues, controls, ideas etc..
    Thanks

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12920173/TekRok_DemoTest_01_Part_01.rar

Screenshot_Small_TitleScreen_01.jpg
  • FictionXFictionX Posts: 289
    Hiro Protagonist
    Looking at the screenshots, I was sure that I would get low fps and a lot of judder - but it ran perfectly smooth!

Graphics look real nice - and I like the colors. They do a surprisingly good job of hiding the screendoor. I also like the helmet a lot. It isn't intrusive in any way, but it adds to the immersion and provides a plausible excuse for the relatively narrow field of view.

Gameplay at this point was maybe a bit bland... I didn't really feel any reason to dodge bullets or hide... I just walked forward and shot at everything that moved. I don't know what the other levels are like, but maybe try to change the pace a bit... make it worthwhile to dodge and hide.. maybe even add some stealth. I'm not much of an idea-man, unfortunately :-)

Control was fine - except I don't like the walk-where-you-look approach. It never made sense to me - but I know it works for others. I was able to walk through walls/pipes, and the shots and blobs from the spiders also went right through stone (but you probably know that)

On the whole I really liked it, though. It had a very solid and professional feel to it! Thanks for sharing!
  • FictionX wrote:
    Looking at the screenshots, I was sure that I would get low fps and a lot of judder - but it ran perfectly smooth!

Graphics look real nice - and I like the colors. They do a surprisingly good job of hiding the screendoor. I also like the helmet a lot. It isn't intrusive in any way, but it adds to the immersion and provides a plausible excuse for the relatively narrow field of view.

Gameplay at this point was maybe a bit bland... I didn't really feel any reason to dodge bullets or hide... I just walked forward and shot at everything that moved. I don't know what the other levels are like, but maybe try to change the pace a bit... make it worthwhile to dodge and hide.. maybe even add some stealth. I'm not much of an idea-man, unfortunately :-)

Control was fine - except I don't like the walk-where-you-look approach. It never made sense to me - but I know it works for others. I was able to walk through walls/pipes, and the shots and blobs from the spiders also went right through stone (but you probably know that)

On the whole I really liked it, though. It had a very solid and professional feel to it! Thanks for sharing!

Hi FictionX, thank you so much for the feedback, really appreciate it, this helps a lot with what to focus on to finish this off.
    Good to know you were able to download and get it running no problems also.

Knowing it runs smoothly for you is great news as that is where I spent a bunch of time, on optimization and making certain decisions to improve framerate when putting the level art together etc, but I had only ever seen it on my pc.

Glad you liked the helmet too, I was unsure what anyone would think of it, and it's the basic starting helmet. Through the story as you progress you upgrade this one and pick up new helmets, like a mining helmet with hot nail guns :)..and an ancient relic helmet you discover deep inside the temple

For the gameplay, I agree it's very basic, really like your idea of adding stealth and dodge, done!.
    For the difficulty I scaled back the damage for this just so everyone wasn't failing the mission constantly at first..but I think it's too easy now. I'll crank it up for the next version haha:)!
    As the levels progress gameplay changes and get a little harder. Things I am adding are a shield on right mouse and bullet time. And I have to go through everything and add final collision just to stop all the walking through walls etc.
    I will also work on some alternate control schemes to have a few options.

Thanks again for the detailed feedback and glad you enjoyed it:)!
  • A video update, been focusing on gameplay, added a shield and arms, some enemies and also some cinematics to start telling the story.

• Some more story scenes, almost finished this demo, look forward to putting up for everyone to try.

• cool, i'd love to play more scenes
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Animation looks nice.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Ryan_WangRyan_Wang Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    This is really awesome.
    Graphics are amazing. I absolutely love the look and feel - environment wise and gameplay wise.
    However, in terms of a gaming experience, I think just like every other fps titles, shooting a lot of enemies does not means it's fun. As someone explained if add some "stealth kill" instead of "blind shooting", the gaming experience will be much better.
  • Hey Ryan, thanks for trying it out and taking the time to let me know what you think, really glad you like the environments and artwork etc:). You are totally right also about just shooting etc feels like it needs much more, I've been thinking the exact same thing. the focus for me now will be all on more complex game play and weapons for the next version. Since eventually there will be 4 characters to play I've been thinking for a while I might turn the main guy you play at the moment into a more melee and stealth kind of dude, he might even crawl on the ground and up walls like a lizard when you crouch. Reading your comments and others gets me excited to do this so thank you, staring on this tomorrow:)