cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issues after reinstalling Windows

Michel
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I'm stuck with a very annoying issue for four weeks now and I can't seem to fix it. After reinstalling Windows my Oculus is lagging during head movements in iRacing (high latency). Could anybody help me out with this please :?:

I have my DK2 from the first week it was out and until four weeks ago everything was working perfectly. Demos and games that support the Rift almost always worked right out of the box. The immersion was amazing and I very rarely had issues with things not working. I was learning to develop software in Unreal and was having lots of fun during the process.

But four weeks ago I upgraded my SSD card from a 120GB Kingston SSD to a 250GB Samsung SSD. I thought it would be a great idea to use that upgrade moment to start with a fresh clean install again. I can't tell you how much I regret that now. :cry:

Although I finally got everything kind of working, I am now left with a very annoying motion lag (high latency?). When I shake my head (with a normal speed as in saying no) I notice a clearly visible lag in movement of the world. Especially in extended mode, but for most demo's also in direct mode although less noticeable.

My system specs:
AMD FX-8350 (not overclocked)
ASUSTek M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard with 8 GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780Ti (not overclocked) (driver 347.25)
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64bit)

At the moment most programs are running (except Senza Peso which worked perfectly before). But in extended mode the latency makes most of them unplayable, especially with V-Sync on. With V-Sync off I noticed I get about the same fps as before the reinstall, so fps wise it looks ok.

If it's a simple demo with high frame rates, the latency is getting better. Very simple demos like the chair demo in the configuration utility even seem to work perfectly, without any noticeable latency.

In direct mode the latency is way better, but still noticeable. Most games or demos are just playable in direct mode.

Things I already tried: reinstalling the video drivers, installing older drivers, reinstalling the oculus runtime, tried other USB-ports, changed several settings in the NVIDIA config screen and restarting the oculus service (using OculusServiceManager).

In two occasions I got the "Rift on GPU: ffffffff, rendering on GPU: 0" configuration error but I don't think it has something to do with the latency issues.

I somehow have a feeling that it could have something to do with the fact that I installed the oculus very short after installing Windows. At first the oculus runtime did not want to install because Windows 7 was not compatible (because it had not received the required updates at that moment). After letting windows update to do his job, it did install correctly. Could this somehow still have a backlash that could cause my latency issue? Is there any way I could maybe bypass that without having to reinstall everything again?

Is there anyone who has an idea of what I could try to solve this mystery?
14 REPLIES 14

nleze0
Honored Guest
Aero?

Michel
Explorer
Aero is currently on.

Also tried Aero off, which made no difference. I understood that aero on is better isn't it?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, Aero (desktop composition) must be "On".

Check in the Nvidia control panel, and disable Triple buffering and set VR prerendered frames to the lowest.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Michel
Explorer
Tripple buffering was disabled and VR prerendered frames was on "use the 3D settings". Changing it to 1 made no noticable difference. Even changed it to 4 to test that out, but again no noticable difference (maybe a little more latency, but could I'm not really sure about that).

I'll leave it on 1.

Best results at the moment is v-synch off, extended mode and with as much as possible fps. 😞

Michel
Explorer
Has anyone of you recently re-installed Windows? Did you install the Oculus drivers after or before Windows got a chance to update and did you experience any issues installing the Oculus drivers?

Michel
Explorer
I just wanted to start formatting my drive and re-installing Windows again to make sure I would only install the Oculus drivers after Windows is fully updated (and not before that, like I did in the previous install). But then it dawned to me that if I could "fully" uninstall the Oculus drivers, it would probably have the same effect but with much less effort.

As I experienced up until now, uninstalling the Oculus drivers still leaves leftover data on the computer. Even removing the installation folder and some registry code, I'm still left with evidence that the driver is not completely uninstalled.

Is there a procedure/program to uninstall the Oculus drivers in such a way that it's like it has not been installed before?

augywrc
Explorer
i upgraded from a gtx670 to a 970 and am having the same issues as you and was about to try a format myself but im not so sure id be wasting my time now

Michel
Explorer
@augywrc I still hope someone could tell us how to fully uninstall the Oculus Drivers. That would be a lot easier than having to format the main drive and install Windows again and as far as I know, it would have the same effect.

augywrc
Explorer
Yeah i wish so as well I really cba spending hours reinstalling stuff