New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

360 Photos To big

QixQix Posts: 91
Hiro Protagonist
edited February 2015 in Samsung Gear VR
I've been posting questions on reddit asking for advice on this and still not sure why the panaoramic photos are coming out to large. Anyone here at Oculus can shed some light on this? Does the skybox stretch all the Panoramas to a set size? When viewed using google cardboard app they are perfect size.

Just take a panoramic photo of a room and it's way to big. I've tried over 100 photos and same results. Different aspect ratios,resolutions. Hope this can be fixed in an update.

Comments

• C360C360 Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    What do you mean by too big, the display or the filesize? 360 photos need to be full 360x180 degrees like the Photospheres. The image are called equirectangulars and have an aspect ration of 2to1.
    -/-/-enri
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    C360 wrote:
    What do you mean by too big, the display or the filesize? 360 photos need to be full 360x180 degrees like the Photospheres. The image are called equirectangulars and have an aspect ration of 2to1.

He means the scale in the photos isn't correct to the real world. I noticed this too but was not sure if it is a IPD thing or was caused by the 360° cameras that close up objects look way to big compared as in real life. When you look at the mars photos for example, the small mars rover looks huge like a space station ;)
  • arnoudharnoudh Posts: 333
    NerveGear
    I don't mind. If that means more room for detail, I'd rather have a panorama displayed at 150% size instead of 75% resolution of the content at the correct scale.
    Brain Burst
    I'm pretty much convinced the display is nearly correct. Things can look huge indeed but that might be your mind telling you you're standing up when the actual shot was taken lower to the ground. I shot my daughters (6) room at her eye-level and to me it seems huge, shot the living room at mine and she thinks everything is small and feels like she's floating in the air!
    -/-/-enri
  • GusevGusev Posts: 48
    Yep, same problem here. I shot some 2:1 equirectangular of a room on eye height, and it looks like I'm floating and everything is big.

Havent tried a Google Cardboard solution, but does it have anything to do with the 4096x2048 resolution....
  • QixQix Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've tried different resolutions and everything is still scaled the same. Can anyone here at Oculus give some insight to why this is happening? I downloaded some 360 panoramas and they are also getting blown up to big. Put them in Cardboard app and they look proper scale.
    Brain Burst
    I'm not working at or for Oculus but I'm willing to have a look, can you mail it to me at henri-at-c360.nl ?
    -/-/-enri
    Brain Burst
    Hi Gusev,

I downloaded the files and actually I can't see anything wrong with them.

You have to realise that 360s on a desktop screen are usually displayed extremely wide. In the kitchen the height of the camera is below eye level (average) and in the studio everything (most of all the tripod handle but that's really u close to the camera) seems so big because it's really up close to the camera. Just view the image on your gear in the exact same spot as you took the shot and lift it off to see the (small) difference.

PS I love the Theta as a gadget but the Gear really shows it shortcomings resolution wise.
    -/-/-enri
    Hmm oke, thanks for looking into this. But I still have one question though.

Why does the room look way smaller than it would in real life if I would stand in the same room? I know it's not stereoscopic, so no depth can be observed.
    Brain Burst
    That's strange indeed, things looking bigger but the room smaller!

I guess we sometimes do not realise what an amazing set of lenses our eyes are ;-)
    -/-/-enri
    NerveGear
    When I take a look at the sample photos above it is clear what the problem is: the camera is positioned too low.

When you put the camera lens at eye level, it will look more natural.

This is a funny thing though; when I shoot images at eye level (for me that would be around 1.80m in height), it will look natural to me, but when my girlfriend (who is barely 1.60m) views the images, she complains about being unnaturally high off the ground...
    But isn't that a more general problem? I mean when I shoot a pano from say sit height and then stand up and look at the pano on my Gear VR, I find it oddly strange.
    NerveGear
    Sure, that has little to do with the 360 Photos app.

They maybe could introduce a setting in the Gear VR preferences where you could enter your height, and they could compensate that be placing the cameraviewer on a different height in the app.
  • neal.roberts.370neal.roberts.370 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I know this is an old thread - But Im having this same problem with my 3d 360 panos looking too big - its a big issue for me, as im an architect and its meant to be giving the client a view of the space. 360 panos taken with eye level height of 1.7m, Looking at it through the quest you feel like youre standing off the ground and everythings too big (its like 1.5x scale!).

Only happens with my occulus quest, cardboard/cheap vr headset with phone works fine. 
    - I may have to take the quest back if this isnt sortable as its useless as it is (not true to life)