New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Miracle DK2 screen improvement!

DANGELOARTDANGELOART Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in Oculus Share
i had recently decided to discover a way to increase the sharpness and comfort of the visual appearance of the screen on my rift dk2!

first i took it aprt down to the samsung 3 screen and ordered 5 different screen covers from mirrored to anti glare!

once i applied an anti-glare screen protector from tech armor. this has sharpened the image and gotten rid of the screen door effect. many videos and games have become sharply more bearable i completely beat windlands which is something i couldn't do before because my eyes hurt from trying to focus on the pixels. this is a miracle fix for the dk2!

id like all of your feedback also.

i spent a good amount of time making sure there were no bubbles or particles underneath my screen protector. as we all know the smallest bit will ruin the immersion.

i discovered if there is dust under the cover after application. lift off the cover and stick a small piece of tape in to retrieve any hairs or dust! :geek: :D

Comments

• c0rn3yc0rn3y Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Hi there,

Any way you can take a picture of this?

And when you say "gotten rid of the screen door effect", do you actually mean that it is totally gone now? Is the picture more blurry now?

Thanks for taking your time and sharing with the rest of us =)
  • matskatsabamatskatsaba Posts: 275
    Nexus 6
    I did that on the first day I got the DK2.
    Used a random chinese matte screen protector.
    The result is a lot better image: you can still see the pixels but you don't see the black pits between them anymore.
    There was talk about this topic 6-8 months ago, found the link to amazon and ebay alternatives there.
  • swiftaswifta Posts: 1
    can we get link to the ones the work now?
  • geekmastergeekmaster Posts: 2,866
    Nexus 6
    Diffusion filters come up as a topic on a periodic basis, here and at MTBS3D. Another way to reduce SDE is to defocus the screen slightly, which is an option on the GearVR. Back in the day, we used a layer of waxed paper over the display, but screens were much lower resolution back then, so higher quality diffusion material (perhaps vellum) may work better these days.
  • matskatsabamatskatsaba Posts: 275
    Nexus 6
    swifta wrote:
    can we get link to the ones the work now?

I used this one:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-x-Matte-Anti-G ... 2c78767300

You DO see the pixels if you focus on it but not the black pits inbetween.
    I didn`t want stronger diffusion since I thought blurring the pixels too much would introduce eye strain trying to focus on something that won`t become sharper.
  • i had recently decided to discover a way to increase the sharpness and comfort of the visual appearance of the screen on my rift dk2!

first i took it aprt down to the samsung 3 screen and ordered 5 different screen covers from mirrored to anti glare!

once i applied an anti-glare screen protector from tech armor. this has sharpened the image and gotten rid of the screen door effect. many videos and games have become sharply more bearable i completely beat windlands which is something i couldn't do before because my eyes hurt from trying to focus on the pixels. this is a miracle fix for the dk2!

id like all of your feedback also.

i spent a good amount of time making sure there were no bubbles or particles underneath my screen protector. as we all know the smallest bit will ruin the immersion.

i discovered if there is dust under the cover after application. lift off the cover and stick a small piece of tape in to retrieve any hairs or dust! :geek: :D
    Could you provide a link to the actuial screen protector you used? Thanks