cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error CS0188

Skelator
Honored Guest
I'm probably being really stupid here but I have imported the OculusUnityIntegration.unitypackage succesfully, but when I use monodevelop and hit build all I get the following error. :cry:

OVRUnityVersionChecker.cs(3,3): Error CS0188: The 'this' object cannot be used before all of its fields are assigned to (CS0188) (Assembly-CSharp)
Everything I do, is for the sake of evil. Almost>;{} Tianhe-2|1,375 TiB|12.4 PB|OS Kylin Linux|VR Input Marmalade Jars All my "POSTs" in this forum are fictitious. Any resemblance to real "FACTs", living or dead, is a miracle. 😉
5 REPLIES 5

cybereality
Grand Champion
What specific version of Unity are you using? You should be on either 4.6.3 or 5.0.0p2 (or newer).

Is this a new project or an existing one? If existing, did you remove all the Oculus stuff before importing the new SDK?

I'm not seeing that error on my end, but I am getting other errors with the project when building in MonoDevelop. I am trying to check with engineering to make sure I'm not missing something obvious and I will report back.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

cybereality
Grand Champion
Ah, so MonoDevelop does not use the same compiler as Unity (and you should not try to build in the IDE). If you play or build an executable from the Unity editor, it should be fine.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Skelator
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
Ah, so MonoDevelop does not use the same compiler as Unity (and you should not try to build in the IDE). If you play or build an executable from the Unity editor, it should be fine.

It was a new empty Unity 5.0.04f personal project with just the oculus package loaded.

So can I ignore the errors in monodevelop. I've just run build in Unity, this seemed to work ok.

Is there any way to set monodevelop to use the Unity compiler?
Everything I do, is for the sake of evil. Almost>;{} Tianhe-2|1,375 TiB|12.4 PB|OS Kylin Linux|VR Input Marmalade Jars All my "POSTs" in this forum are fictitious. Any resemblance to real "FACTs", living or dead, is a miracle. 😉

Skelator
Honored Guest
Hi Cybereality
I've been using Unity now for a couple of weeks, some of your posts recommend using Unreal. Now that unreal is free would you recommend switching to Unreal for developing for the RIFT.

I'll try some of the demo tutorials in Unreal, as the pro version of Unity is too epensive at present, and Unreal is free.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

>;{}

cybereality
Grand Champion
Both Unity 5 and Unreal 4 are basically free now. Unity has some paid features still, but nothing that would stop you from creating a great game. Unreal has all features (and C++ source code) for free, but with a 5% royalty.

I wouldn't say that one engine is clearly better than the other. Personally, I am working with UE4 myself, but that was more of a personal decision. There are still great reasons to continue using Unity.