cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real time 3d modelling tools for rift

snester
Honored Guest
Hi fellow rifters. Like many of you I would love to build worlds and walk around them all in rift.
I have some software I have been designing for many years. It would be ideal to convert to rift as many of the interface concepts were designed with VR in mind (and subsequently dumbed down for windows mouse use). As the whole design paradigm has been based around modelling in a real world. I would like to gauge If people would be interested in developing it for native use on the rift. You can download the non-rift version from http://www.viewbuild.com if there is some genuine interest and some programmers (python, openGL, c++) among you I'd love to discuss how I could make an open source project out of if or other possibilities.
For your interest I have modelled several thousand models in the system. Google Sketch up guys were interested in the tech as we do modelling rapidly not sculpting of models.
Anyway I thought I would throw it out there because VR is where this software would really be amazing. And the last thing we want is interface heavy modelling tools appearing.
6 REPLIES 6

geekmaster
Protege
Various links at your website are dead (404 error), but the YouTube videos are very interesting. Here is the first training video, for example:

I like that user interface. 😄

And there are 76 videos to watch, where that one came from:
http://www.youtube.com/user/viewbuild/videos

The videos appear to be primarily related to architecture.

snester
Honored Guest
Thanks for the feedback. I am not maintaining it anymore as I found it hard to get the investment here in Tasmania.
This is the reason why I would look how I could partner or open source this to the oculus community
I'd be happy to do a live Skype demo or some over video casting method of it in action and take and answer questions the best I can considering I am not the programmer on the project just the guy who started it used it and am left with it

geekmaster
Protege
I am sure it would get used, and could even grow into a Rift app, if you do choose to open source this project. What programming languages and other library dependencies does it use?

Do you plan to open source some of your "thousands of models" as well?

snester
Honored Guest
It uses python, win32 C, OpenGL

If I knew the code would get updated I would start to make the models available.

geekmaster
Protege
"snester" wrote:
It uses python, win32 C, OpenGL

If I knew the code would get updated I would start to make the models available.

If the code was to be open sourced, I am sure there would be people who would update it to provide Rift support, and perhaps a lot more. Python is popluar. What flavor of "win32 C"? I prefer WinAPI myself, but there are many who prefer MFC or Win32++ or Boost libraries, and things like SDL, Allegra, Ogre, or other application frameworks. People who are familiar with the foundation technology that your app uses may enjoy working with it. And the large collection of models may attract more to learn what it takes to work with extending your app.

Tagera
Honored Guest
Oh wow.......