cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming PC

michaelm9945
Sightseer
Is this good enough to Develop and play Oculus Rift games?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-DELL-COR ... 1485172518
8 REPLIES 8

michaelm, you have asked the same question, with the same link in your other thread.

The answer is always the same!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

michaelm9945
Sightseer
This is actually a different question. I've found a PC for sale and I'm asking if its any good

Nobody answered my other post with this link

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Would help if it actually told you the Specs. I mean, all it says for the graphics card is that it's a 1 GB Nvidia. You need a Geforce 970 for a start and they are £270.

VizionVR
Rising Star
You are not going to get a PC that can run the Rift comfortably for less than a grand, period. Either save your money, wait till prices drop, or buy Google Cardboard.
Also, it would be appreciated if you keep all your PC inquiries on the same thread. It's not good netiquette to spam the boards with individual posts asking the same thing. There are a LOT of people who asked for PC specs and it's been answered time and time again. Did you try to search the forums?
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"michaelm9945" wrote:
Is this good enough to Develop and play Oculus Rift games?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-DELL-COR ... 1485172518

First off that isn't even a gaming pc - most "Good" gaming PC don't start till around $1200+ for low to med range settings. Stop trying to buy "cheap" and actually get something that will be better in the long run xD

1) This isn't a new pc - its used - back in the Windows XP - Vista days that they reloaded Windows 7 on.
2) No matter what GPU they put in there ~ it wont have enough space/power to run real games as sim-lines and all-in-ones don't have the PSU power for anything big.
3) You are only looking at the price ~ that's a bad place to start ~ look at the specs first and find what fits the requirements for what you want to do.
4) Core 2 Duo is REALLY OLD tech when an I3 of any gen1-4 can beat it into the ground.
5) RAM 4-8 is needed~ 16 is a want * - but just having that number doesn't mean it is anything good ~ you have to compare that ram type and speed type as well.
6) Ignore disk space ~ 500-1TB is MORE than enough for a lot of people. Having more doesn't mean you will gain any performance ~ you actually lose performance as the needle has to go that much further for the data on the disk.
7) Look for PCs that have high end GPU cards + PSU (power supply) that way you can always upgrade later on ram, disk, gpu, and cpu.

And wow ~
"michaelm9945" wrote:
VR will never be popular if they can't make it possible to play on what ever you have. Nobody will go out and spend over $1,000 just to buy something that's powerful enough to play VR. Some might, but not everyone will

I am ~ $750 for a gpu and another $400 for the HMD. Two parts is going to cost me $1,150 alone. Cheap doesn't mean its good and if we didn't push pcs then we still be using DOS.. so whatever on that mind set xD

Yea ~ not everyone will buy a smart phone ~ not everyone will buy a house ~ not everyone will buy a car ~ but "enough" number of people will and that's all that matters.

As for "good enough"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-K450-G ... 4ae7bf39bd
- would allow you to play some REALL LOW END ones that don't have a lot going on with any real graphics. I don't know about developing games ~ but if you are just into low end demos ~ then it should just be fine. The problem I find with getting a PC "now" is that new GPU are coming out that support DX12 ~ and that will allow even lower end cards to "inch out" that much more in performance.

Even still ~ I recommend either buying a base PC for around 700~ that incudes an I5, 500-1TB, 8-16 ram, a 700w PSU, Windows 8 or 7, and then upgrade that GPU for another $300 or Buying a real gaming pc that most start around $1200+

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, it is not good enough.

And please don't spam the forum with the same question over and over.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
You will be lucky to play any of the latest games on a monitor let alone in VR with that computer. You need something like an i7 930 overclocked to 4.0Ghz and a Geforce 970 before you are going to get good VR. You can pick up an i7 930, relatively cheap from ebay, but people seem to get ridiculous amounts for used motherboards these days. So, even second hand it's going to cost you about £800 to get a computer built for VR.

Boy oh boy do we need a stickie for this!

One for the DK2 and one for the CV1 would be nice 😄
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3