cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games Crashing

Killashrub
Honored Guest
I have a desktop with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with a 7970HD, AMD 8core CPU 16GB ram. I have been able to get Titanic game, Affected, Sightline Chair, Rift table demo thing, War Thunder, and Alien Isolation working great. However Titans of space, Vox Manenae, and space walk games give black screen on desktop and on Rift. Ive tried Both direct and extended. I have been using extended primarily because all of the other games dont work unless it is in extended. If I try Direct I get while screen on monitor and a crash on everything. I have updated Drivers for Graphics and Ive downgraded to 14.4 as well. Ive installed all of the files required on oculus website runtime etc. Ive installed the C++ redists X86 X64 Ive let windows update install everything. Ive tried using it in DVI and HDMI. Ive tried different USB over/under side by side and 3.0 and 2.0. Done the shortcut thing with -force-d3d11 and D3d9 Ive used VR Game Manager that makes all that easier. Ive also tried making oculus my primary monitor. And it is labled as 1 and on the left side. And I have also tried WIN+SHIFT+ < AND > arrow keys. Still nothing. Running out of options. Ive spent days researching info and ive read EVERYTHING I can. Only last bastion of hope is to completely reformat everything and start fresh. Someone or something help me before I lose it lol.

FOUND THE PROBLEM. IT IS FIXED NOW. SEE BELOW!

Alright I did some snooping around just to try to find something weird that might work i've only been constantly doing research and trying every little thing for 5 or 7 or however many days in a row for countless hours(after work and before work). I went to Screen Resolution then advanced settings for display 1(Oculus rift). Then to monitor tab. I noticed that the screen refresh rate stated 60Hertz(See my post down below from earlier). And wouldn't go any higher. I pulled up my AMD Catalyst and went to the monitor part of that and the Hertz for Display 1(oculus rift) was 75Hertz. But I have had Catalyst lie to me before and I wouldn't be satisfied until WINDOWS says its 75Hertz even though windows lies too lol. So I went back to "Screen Resolution - Advanced - Monitor" and noticed the check box right under the Hertz tab that states "Hide modes this monitor cannot display." Well why would I want to display a mode that Oculus can't display? O well I will try it anyway. So I unchecked the box. And to my surprise the drop down menu for the Hertz now goes up to 120 So I set it to 75Hertz. Clicked apply then OK and then noticed that the resolution for the Oculus wasn't what the old resolution was. Now its 948 x 1080 it was something else and I don't feel like switching it back to say what it was so too bad. BUT I then said whatever I will try it. Its 1080 so who cares. So I ran Space Walk through VR Game Manager because I am lazy. And now something different happened. The game showed up on the monitor but not on Oculus. Even though it didn't show up on Oculus, it however at least showed up on something for once which has not happened with Vox Machinea or Space Walk or Titans of space they always showed a black window on monitor and on oculus blue light on with extended mode. Or white window crash orange light black screen on Oculus on direct mode. At this point I was happy to have made some kind of improvement. So I tried to get the game to run through Oculus many times with the VR Game Manager using the D11d3 crap and disabling areo all that crap and of course nothing on Oculus. So before going to sleep and giving up for the night(Night number like 5 or 6 or something) I decided to put the oculus into Direct mode just to try it. Now let me tell you something, for the week I have had the Oculus, every day trying for hours and hours with NO GAME AT ALL or demo or anything working in Direct mode and certain games that I really really wanted to play (VOX MACHINEA, SPACE WALK, TITANS OF SPACE) not working in extended or Direct, EVERYTHING I repeat EVERYTHING is 10-4 everything is now working. I think i'm going to go buy a Scotch and a Cigar and float around in space for a while. See ya later.

REMEMBER AMD GUYS. DON'T TRUST THAT CATALYST, ITS LYING TO YOU. IF YOU HAVE 60HERTZ IN WINDOWS MONITOR SETTINGS AND 75HERTS IN CATALYST AND YOU GOT THAT BOX CHECKED IN WINDOWS MONITOR SETTINGS. UNCHECK THAT CRAP. CATALYST IS FULL OF CRAP.
5 REPLIES 5

Killashrub
Honored Guest
Trying a revert to 0.4.4 runtime havnt tested that yet.

Killashrub
Honored Guest
No difference. Can hear music on some but that was happening before. So no change at all. Any ideas before I reformat everything?

I have noticed something. The monitor refresh rates are only able to go to 60 for oculus and my monitor. I tried Making oculus my main and it still only goes to 60. I wonder why.

Update - Installed AMD catalyst and could change oculus to 75 refresh rate. Still does the same thing.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I've received a number of reports about black screens on AMD GPUs.

It appears that it's an issues with the AMD drivers, but honestly I'm not 100% sure.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Killashrub
Honored Guest
Before reformatting I decided to just give up on Vox Machenea, Titans of space, and space walk and try to see if I could get any other games to work. I was able to get 11 games/tech demos working out of 12 ( I cant remember the 12th ones name I think it was the Kite and Lightnings - The cave. however other Kite and Lightning games work). Im thinking these black screen(Extended) and White screen crashes (direct) Im having are due to something wrong with AMD with Occulus on only certain types of games that maybe have a certain shader or something along those lines. What im asking is, are there any similarity between Vox Machenea, titans of space, and Spacewalk? I know they are space games lol but you know what I mean, software wise.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Very strange, but nice to hear it's working now.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV