cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming From Plex Server?

When/will this be possible with the Gear VR?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
29 REPLIES 29

nosys70
Expert Protege
well you can perfectly stream a video from the plex if you got the bandwidth, but i do not see the point.
that's just playing video, you do not need the gear to do that, just the phone is enough...

"nosys70" wrote:
well you can perfectly stream a video from the plex if you got the bandwidth, but i do not see the point.
that's just playing video, you do not need the gear to do that, just the phone is enough...

Huh?

So you can stream your films from your Plex server to the video apps in the Gear VR?

Or are you telling me that holding your phone up in front of you is the same as watching a film in the Gear VR?

If that's the case then i might pass on the Gear VR, but i don't want to believe it!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think nosys70 is probably mixing things up. As far as I know, there currently is no way to stream video from a local server to the Gear VR, but I would gladly be proven wrong!

And I also disagree on the playback of movies on the Gear VR. When you play back a local video file using the Oculus Cinema (especially the Void theater), it is much like sitting in an actual cinema, experience-wise. You get vision-filling video and much more impressive experiences than watching it on a large TV set.

If only Netflix support could be added... Oh, and DLNA support would be very very very welcome.

nosys70
Expert Protege
the gear VR is just a piece of plastic, it does nothing.
if you can stream from the plex server to the phone (that's after all what plex is designed for), i do not see why it could not be displayed in the VR player, if it can be displayed full screen on the phone.
what i don't know is if the streaming feature is available from the VR player or if you can only select a file from the local memory. You could also try DLNA, plex is supporting it.
if not then you need to write your own.

Lancer-AM
Honored Guest
Oculus Cinema doesn't support DLNA streaming, but supposedly you can do this using BubbleUPNP and playing it through another VR player that supports DLNA. I couldn't ever get it to work on my S6.

Molly
Explorer
"nosys70" wrote:
if you can stream from the plex server to the phone (that's after all what plex is designed for), i do not see why it could not be displayed in the VR player, if it can be displayed full screen on the phone.
what i don't know is if the streaming feature is available from the VR player or if you can only select a file from the local memory. You could also try DLNA, plex is supporting it.

If you have no damn clue what your mouthing off about then kindly refrain from entering the discussion and look completely ignorant. The Gear VR is not "just a piece of plastic". It has it's own Oculus Store with signed apps and no way of sideloading stuff, so an official Plex client is definitely necessary and wanted.

"Molly" wrote:
"nosys70" wrote:

If you have no damn clue what your mouthing off about then kindly refrain from entering the discussion and look completely ignorant. The Gear VR is not "just a piece of plastic". It has it's own Oculus Store with signed apps and no way of sideloading stuff, so an official Plex client is definitely necessary and wanted.

I don't think this will now come from Oculus though. Maybe via SideloadVR one day, but Oculus has now given us Oculus Video and Netflix where we can purchase films, a great step in the right direction and very nice apps they are too.

scottmc87
Explorer
"Molly" wrote:
"nosys70" wrote:

The part about the GearVR being plastic was not only ignorant, it was irrelevant to this post. Just because our phones can do things outside of VR doesn't mean they work inside. The applications must support it, like you said. Keep it on the rails here.
Rig: Windows 10 | EVGA GTX 980ti Classified.| i5 6600k | 16gigs DDR4 3000mhz. DK2 (Owned) CV1 (Pre-Ordered) Vive (Pre-Ordered)

OnlyLevelOne
Protege
A Plex app for the Gear VR is top on my wish list for Gear VR at the moment.

Does anyone know of any developer working on an app that streaming from Plex will work from?