New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Comments

• MasterElwoodMasterElwood Posts: 180
    Hiro Protagonist
    castana wrote:
    Hi All,
    Sorry for my Ignorance but I am New in Oculus Rift Topics.
    I am interested in making Games with Unity and Oculus and I would like to ask you What will it be its new price?
    Thanks for your time
    Alejandro Castan

No official price yet - just "more than $350."

Best guess at the moment is somewhere between $351 and $399 (for the Rift, a camera and a XBO controller.)
  • castana wrote:
    Hi All,
    I am interested in making Games with Unity and Oculus and I would like to ask you What will it be its new price?
    Thanks for your time
    Alejandro Castan

Best guess at the moment is somewhere between $351 and $399 (for the Rift, a camera and a XBO controller.)

Tnx for the info. :)
  • Congratz and hope it comes finally to us as a consumer product.
    I just checked the order link on the website and couldn't find the Rift among them for pre-ordering.
    Is it officially open for pre-order or we will still wait for a while
  • FokkerFaceFokkerFace Posts: 167
    Hiro Protagonist
    we will still wait for a while

Official release date is as far as "Q1 2016", so anywhere between Jan1-Mar31 2016. I don't have any official source to refer to, but it looks like there might be no pre-order option at all for Oculus Rift.
    DK2 sold
    Rift - preordered, shipment estimate March 28. cancelled.
    MSI X99A RAIDER, i7-5820K + Corsair H110i GTX, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64 GB (4x16GB Quad Channel), AMD Radeon R9 Fury X, SSD RAID0 (2x256GB Sata3 A-Data SX900), OCZ ZX 850W 80+
  • AntDX3162AntDX3162 Posts: 839
    Trinity
    Can Oculus make a financing department with no APR for 6-12/24 months? This is another good way to get VR in to many hands.

I was walking around stores and saw many VR copies but they cost $20-$40. They are kind of garbage compared to Oculus and GearVR. I mean.. the difference between them and Oculus/GearVR is like 500-5000% though.

It's like when people compare Xbox One and PS4 to a $2000 gaming PC, but talking to people about pricing of anything they always say they don't want to spend that much if they can't find worth for it like headphones.

If Oculus gets big and they end up looking like the smartphone industry then adding some credit department would matter. $600+ of premium Oculus headsets/headphones would be easier for people to swallow if it was broken down in months. Even though people have credit cards they would still take the financing directly from Oculus like Apple for no APR for 12+ months and other rewards.

Would be easier to make an Oculus store that works with other warehouses to get Oculus certified systems so people don't have to sift through which system will work as most people know nothing about PC parts.

An easier way would just be to work with Apple as most consumers use them vs Microsoft. Another way is to prove DX12 Windows is the superior option than Apple because of the programming standpoint and force people to convert over to Windows for DX12 but considering the amount of problems with new PCs people wouldn't want to do that.

Oculus financing like Dell financing would be great. Work w/ amazon/newegg to sell systems known for full VR experience to people who are computer illiterate but know how to use GPS.
    facebook.com/AntDX316
  • AntDX3162 wrote:
    Can Oculus make a financing department with no APR for 6-12/24 months? ...

If Oculus gets big and they end up looking like the smartphone industry then adding some credit department would matter. $600+ of premium Oculus headsets/headphones would be easier for people to swallow if it was broken down in months.

NO

&

NO

And here is why, Oculus is not targeting that kind of people. In order to use Oculus you have to spend on GPU alone $600.

It might seems that you're idea is good, but believe me (I do have business & IT degree and now I am preparing to do MBA) when I am saying that Oculus had to identify their target audience and how to market it to them, they exactly know what is the salary bracket, age, gender, place of living, etc. of their clients.

Beside Oculus is a HOT product and there is no justification in creating threat for a bad debt...

If I would be sitting in their board, then I would immediately vote for firing operational director who would even mention that idea...

That is not, how you're selling to the market where demand is much bigger than supply...

Financing can be introduced if you want to get extra share of the market (Apple vs Windows) by offering better value for undecided clients... (however market has to be big enough in order to justify this big investment (credit scheme isn't cheap and is a pretty risky for stakeholders (especially shareholders :)))

REALLY BAD IDEA... :evil:

I wish, I could fire you... ;)
  • AntDX3162 wrote:
    Can Oculus make a financing department with no APR for 6-12/24 months? This is another good way to get VR in to many hands.

I was walking around stores and saw many VR copies but they cost $20-$40. They are kind of garbage compared to Oculus and GearVR. I mean.. the difference between them and Oculus/GearVR is like 500-5000% though.

It's like when people compare Xbox One and PS4 to a $2000 gaming PC, but talking to people about pricing of anything they always say they don't want to spend that much if they can't find worth for it like headphones.

If Oculus gets big and they end up looking like the smartphone industry then adding some credit department would matter. $600+ of premium Oculus headsets/headphones would be easier for people to swallow if it was broken down in months. Even though people have credit cards they would still take the financing directly from Oculus like Apple for no APR for 12+ months and other rewards.

Would be easier to make an Oculus store that works with other warehouses to get Oculus certified systems so people don't have to sift through which system will work as most people know nothing about PC parts.

An easier way would just be to work with Apple as most consumers use them vs Microsoft. Another way is to prove DX12 Windows is the superior option than Apple because of the programming standpoint and force people to convert over to Windows for DX12 but considering the amount of problems with new PCs people wouldn't want to do that.

Oculus financing like Dell financing would be great. Work w/ amazon/newegg to sell systems known for full VR experience to people who are computer illiterate but know how to use GPS.

If you want financing use a credit card to buy it.
  • castanacastana Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    castana wrote:
    Hi All,
    Thanks for your time
    Alejandro Castan

Hi MasterElwood ,
    Thanks for the info :D
    On the other hand, Do you know about Oculus Touch price? Do you if it will be for pre-sale at the end of 2015?
    Regards and thanks again
    Alejandro
  • itypoitypo Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    My educated guess will be the Oculus Rift will be 399, Touch will be 99 to 129.
  • castanacastana Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Hi itypo,
    Thanks for the info :D
    Regards
    Alejandro
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,065 Valuable Player
    I hope oculus are as kind to the UK folks with CV1 as they were with DK2.

so many companies seem to look at it as $1 = £1 = €1

what that means is those of us in Blighty get royally anally probed.

However Oculus in the past have been great and we just paid a fair currency conversion which was fantastic.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • itypoitypo Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Bear in mind US prices are usually without VAT/TAX.
  • RojoyIncRojoyInc Posts: 3
    edited December 2015
    I've been waiting and holding back from the DK's... it's time. I THINK. Having ben "a PC" since 1980, I changed to iMac a couple years ago and would hate to look back. I did installed win7 on my iMac 27" and I find (though I prefer OSX better) I'm usually booted in windows due to steam/games.

so - can I run the new rift on this machine? it's a 2012 I think. With win7 (best of windows, I had 8 on it with parallels and removed it) I have 10 on my PC and not into that either. Anyway. I run ALL games well as is on the Mac and win7. I have a AMD card 6870 I think.

I can run every game tried. (downloaded 150 of them from Steam) including ALL COD. ARMA's and all Batmans and Far Cry 4.
    nearly maxed res and settings.

I thought I read that O.R needs 1. HDMI out? (I don't think the iMac has that?) and 2. USB 3.0. ( I think this machine has only 2.0) Any bootcamp people know if I should order a Rift when they come out? Really not interested in another PC taking up space. If I must I'd get a new Mac. = ) I have had 600. bucks in my drawer awaiting the rifts release.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    No, that machine won't be supported at all. First, Macs aren't supported (even when running Windows) due to not having the most updated video drivers. In any case, the computer is too old and would not meet performance levels even if it worked. See here for the kind of Windows PC that is necessary: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • I have a i5 3.2 - 12gb ram, SSD 500gb, 10TB hard drives.
    What would it need more than running Far Cry 4 nearly maxed out?

Doesn't the rift limit res to around 1080? Whats the res? however it's dual screens I imagine for the 3D.
    I'm currently getting 2560x1440 res and great frame rates in every game I have. I suppose I could get a xbox one, but not into consoles and I already have a 150 count PC game library. Surely don't want to buy Xbox games.

I may have to get a new PC, but I really hate that and having more monitors up next to the iMac. (I have dual on my old Dell XPS with nVidia SLI cards. But that processor is to slow. I think that's a old P4.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Running a game on a 2D monitor and running a similarly detailed game in VR are two very different things. Just making the jump to VR can be 2 or 3 times as intensive graphically due to the higher resolution, higher refresh rate and stereo 3D. The link I provided above tells you exactly what you need.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • galopingalopin Posts: 355
    Nexus 6
    The link I provided above tells you exactly what you need.

It is more what VR needs than "what you need" ! I would love to see VR succeed, but there is more chances it turns into a lame wet firecracker...

A small expected market for quite some time, low amount of high quality apps, a real issue on how to advertise VR without putting a hmd on the head of people, VR rendering that will be under regular game visuals because of the constraints.

Sadly, the biggest chance for VR are sony Morpheus because it can count on the PS4 base market, but it is also the most challenging platform to write a VR game because a PS4 is far below a med/high end computer already.
  • LKostyraLKostyra Posts: 263
    galopin wrote:
    The link I provided above tells you exactly what you need.

It is more what VR needs than "what you need" ! I would love to see VR succeed, but there is more chances it turns into a lame wet firecracker...

A small expected market for quite some time, low amount of high quality apps, a real issue on how to advertise VR without putting a hmd on the head of people, VR rendering that will be under regular game visuals because of the constraints.
    This is actually the best way for a new company with their new product to enter the market. It should be no suprise that the expected market is small - the technology is new and even though it is in more reachable prices, these are still high. We need some years to pass before more and more people will be able to buy the Rift. And no company will want to target everything on such a fresh piece of technology. IMO all we can do is to support it. And wait until the technology progresses enough to make it more affordable for all.
    galopin wrote:
    Sadly, the biggest chance for VR are sony Morpheus because it can count on the PS4 base market, but it is also the most challenging platform to write a VR game because a PS4 is far below a med/high end computer already.
    Agreed, I cannot see how Morpheus will overcome challenges that PS4 creates. It is a console, which by release date was at a similar performance to mid/high end PCs. But this was back in November 2013. Fast forward to today, PCs moved forward, however PS performance is unchanged. And now Sony asks PS4 to withstand twice the calculations that it usually has to bear. I never had Morpheus in my head and I would love to check it some day in the future, however I am very sceptical about it.

The only upside I see to Morpheus is the same upside as Mobile VR and console gaming has - unified environment. There is only one machine you have to target, so you can optimize everything to that specific piece of hardware. If PS4 game developers will be able to roll back to their projects and go down with the quality (lower-poly models, lower resolution textures, less graphical effects etc) to achieve promised 90 Hz, the PS4 has its chance with PSVR.
    DK1: Received
    DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received
    CV1: (Jan 6) Pending
    Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM
  • galopingalopin Posts: 355
    Nexus 6
    Without market, big studios will not follow, so lack of content, so people don't buy the product ( did not stop the Wii you would say ). And because a 2d game and a VR games need completely different kin of assets, to support the two is definitely challenging and most may just drop VR because of the extra cost to push it.

Also, Morpheus is not 90Hz but 120Hz with a 1080p screen ( you still need a larger resolution to account for distorsion, but dynamic resolution is simpler to achieve than on dx11 ). I can only compare to a DK2, but i like the Morpheus forehead, and how the weight balance, my concern is the large side that make the use of my favorite headphone (sennheiser game one) mostly impossible.
  • Been saving since end of Summer, have $500 saved up for this specifically. I can't wait for this and will watch every day. Best news I heard since 900 series! :)

How many Oculus Rifts do you think were made? We gonna be good or will it be a sellout in 1 day?
  • It seems like some people say that this could be $400. Hope this is true, I can't spend too much on this.
  • PSVR is going to be the easiest, cheapest and more videogame-focused approach of all future HMD. I think Sony is gonna win this round...
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    Saffron wrote:
    PSVR is going to be the easiest, cheapest and more videogame-focused approach of all future HMD. I think Sony is gonna win this round...

trololo-o.gif
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,065 Valuable Player
    Etny2k wrote:
    Been saving since end of Summer, have $500 saved up for this specifically. I can't wait for this and will watch every day. Best news I heard since 900 series! :)

How many Oculus Rifts do you think were made? We gonna be good or will it be a sellout in 1 day?

i think they will be limited but hopefully not TOO limited....... the 1st one rolled off the production line a few months back (end of september) and VR is still going to be niche for a little while.

http://www.roadtovr.com/the-first-oculu ... tion-line/

IF I was oculus, i would actually be opening the pre-orders up 48 hrs early for people who have already ordered a DK1 or DK2, direct from oculus. no money off or anything, just a little queue priority as a thankyou.

whether they will or not is anyones guess, but it would be a nice, and cost neutral gesture imo.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • I had asked about Rift on bootcamp... didn't sound like (if it works) won't be great... so today I bit the bullet on a Alienware 2500 system. i7 GTX 980. 16gig. Hoping that will do it. I bought it only because I want the rift.
  • Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 568
    Trinity
    RojoyInc wrote:
    I had asked about Rift on bootcamp... didn't sound like (if it works) won't be great... so today I bit the bullet on a Alienware 2500 system. i7 GTX 980. 16gig. Hoping that will do it. I bought it only because I want the rift.

I totally understand you...
    I did the same o_o
    And i'm sparing money for the rift right now u.u
  • Kalec84 wrote:
    RojoyInc wrote:
    I had asked about Rift on bootcamp... didn't sound like (if it works) won't be great... so today I bit the bullet on a Alienware 2500 system. i7 GTX 980. 16gig. Hoping that will do it. I bought it only because I want the rift.

I did the same o_o

You guys really should have asked around before buying Alienware systems... How much does an Alienware with an i7 and a gtx 980 cost?? $2500? More?

I built a VR-ready rig myself (with a 980ti GPU) for under $1500 - not to mention it was incredibly easy.
  • Ruszek83Ruszek83 Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    Function wrote:
    Kalec84 wrote:
    RojoyInc wrote:

I did the same o_o

You guys really should have asked around before buying Alienware systems... How much does an Alienware with an i7 and a gtx 980 cost?? $2500? More?

I built a VR-ready rig myself (with a 980ti GPU) for under $1500 - not to mention it was incredibly easy.

I totally agree. I've just upgraded to Sabertooth mobo, i7 6700k, 16Gig DDR4 and 980Ti... ALL of this costed me just about 2000$ (and prices for hardware are hight in Denmark compearing to US)... minus 500$ i sold my old system for...
    So 2000$ for a PC you build yourself wins every single time.
  • Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 568
    Trinity
    Ehmm... sorry ,i'm italian soo i don't always write a "correct" english... for "i did the same thing" i mean i bought a new system ^_^

i7-6700k GTXG1-980ti 16gb ram, AIO, etc... 1300-400€ (PSU and hard disks are re-used :P) total :)
    I'm still waiting before update to windows 10... i want to be ULTRA sure it work ok with the rift o_o
  • Kalec84 wrote:
    Ehmm... sorry ,i'm italian soo i don't always write a "correct" english... for "i did the same thing" i mean i bought a new system ^_^

i7-6700k GTXG1-980ti 16gb ram, AIO, etc... 1300-400€ (PSU and hard disks are re-used :P) total :)
    I'm still waiting before update to windows 10... i want to be ULTRA sure it work ok with the rift o_o

Ahh ok, I just misunderstood you. That is a nice system!
    The consumer version of the Oculus is guaranteed to work on Windows 10, so no worries there! Unless you are talking about the DK2 - it is still supported on Windows 10, but not all VR apps are updated to work with Windows 10 yet.