New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Comments

• MasterElwoodMasterElwood Posts: 180
    Hiro Protagonist
    Etny2k wrote:

IF I was oculus, i would actually be opening the pre-orders up 48 hrs early for people who have already ordered a DK1 or DK2, direct from oculus. no money off or anything, just a little queue priority as a thankyou.

whether they will or not is anyones guess, but it would be a nice, and cost neutral gesture imo.

THE HELL NO! :evil:

Have 2 GVR. I buy almost every app in the Oculus store. I DESERVE one on launch day to! ;)
  • TheSandmaNTheSandmaN Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    EliteSPA wrote:
    Saffron wrote:
    PSVR is going to be the easiest, cheapest and more videogame-focused approach of all future HMD. I think Sony is gonna win this round...

trololo-o.gif

*head dance* *waves goodbye*
    No matter where you go, there you are...

-Confucius/Buckaroo Bonzai
  • RedSunsetRedSunset Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I've been agonising over what to put in my Rift PC. In reality, I'll wait until it is actually released before buying a new rig.

Pascal, Greenland, DDR5x.....it's all doing my head in!

But my question is this. If I get a 980ti (assuming that is the best available at release), will SLI be well enough supported that I could just add another 980ti down the track to keep up with CV2?

I've read that Nvidia is working on drivers that will allow one GPU to render each eye?

Anyone got any recommendations?
  • LKostyraLKostyra Posts: 263
    First of all, it is a good thing that you will wait. A lot can change when CV1 gets released.

Indeed, nVidia is working on an VR SLI (as a part of their Gameworks VR SDK). As far as I know, the problem is the support. Developers of the game (or engine developers, if we talk about an Unity/UE4 game) must integrate Gameworks VR SDK into their game to make VR SLI work. And this is only in nVidia cards, for AMD cards probably something similar must be done.

The question is, what do you plan to use your upgraded rig for. If for development, go SLI. If not, buying an SLI configuration is a lottery - you can get a game, which will fully use your SLI combo, and you can get a game which will use only one of your two-GPU-tandem, resulting in half of the performance available. So, without any plans for development, I would go for single-GPU, but more powerful. It is just a safer option (and probably less expensive anyway).
    DK1: Received
    DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received
    CV1: (Jan 6) Pending
    Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM
  • NyaliceNyalice Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I'm hyped!
  • This looks amazing! Congrats to staff and really everyone involved! I'm so excited about this!
  • So I've been waiting since the kickstarter campaign to try one out, and will be placing my order the second I'm able to.

My current system is compatible except for the GPU. I have a GTX 660, and am prepared to upgrade if necessary but does anyone know if the specs that have been posted are minimums, or are they recommended?

In case you're curious, I have an AMD FX-8120 processor at 3.1GHz, 8GB DDR3 @ 1866, and the ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX R 2.0 MOBO. Built it in 2012 and it's still an awesome system :D
  • Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 568
    Trinity
    These are the "recomended" specs, from the site Road to VR:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
    Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
    8GB+ RAM
    Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
    2x USB 3.0 ports
    Windows 7 SP1 or newer
  • Gullie667Gullie667 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Very Excited!
  • Very nice that people have so much to say here, i was hoping for more specific information about the order in January...
    Trinity
    Very nice that people have so much to say here, i was hoping for more specific information about the order in January...

Exactly that!

Having to wait so long without any news (except that "some" devs will have it to create games, with was abvious :P) is killing me ç_ç
  • I thought Oculus (facebook) would take pre-orders for the rift prior to the end of this year? Has this changed?
    Also I checked my online-status information and there does not appear to be any history of my purchase of the DK1 and the DK2 so I doubt there will be any preference for backers or early adopters, which feels a little disappointing.
    Trinity
    I thought Oculus (facebook) would take pre-orders for the rift prior to the end of this year? Has this changed?
    Also I checked my online-status information and there does not appear to be any history of my purchase of the DK1 and the DK2 so I doubt there will be any preference for backers or early adopters, which feels a little disappointing.

Well, i agree... but is not that of a big deal, it was not an "early acess" thing, so is ok if they dong make particular things for people who bought dk1 or dk2, justhaving the cv1 coming out is something i feel i contribute :)

The thing i hope, is that they have a good plan for distribution... i would prefer to preorder the system from "my state" instead of having it shipped from the US... you know, is a thing that everybody in the world are waiting... a crappy distribution plan can easly screw up a lot of sellings...
  • D_CarD_Car Posts: 10
    So slightly off topic will eve of Valkyrie be a physical media or download , wondering as my computer has no dvd drive
    (cant wait till preorder)
  • LleajyLleajy Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi,

I've the following config :

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    GPU: GTX 780 (3Go DDR5)

Do you think I can run the CV1 rift smoothly ?

I think the recent card 9xx are overrated compared to the 780...
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    That machine is pretty close to what you need. Just keep in mind that developers will be optimizing for the GTX 970, so even if you are only slightly off, it may result in a sub par experience.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • I'm planning on buying the CV1 when it comes out; but I'm a bit worried that the tech will be obsolete in a couple of years. Considering some things that are surfacing now that wont be included (eye tracking for example) I'm worried that the next step will be floors above. Should I still get a rift? Or should I wait until the tech gets to the place it's already on track to head to?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Any tech you buy will be obsolete in a few years. If that is your logic, then never buy anything.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • dignifiedwebdignifiedweb Posts: 279
    Art3mis
    I had the privilege of trying the CV1 at PAX in September. Are you allowed to say if there's any noise cancellation tech in the headphones? I noticed right away that the headphones sounded extremely good for on-ear headphones. Putting on the rift blinded both your vision and audio senses it seemed, like you were taking a leap into a new world. Can't wait guys, happy new year!
    Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR
  • itypoitypo Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Any tech you buy will be obsolete in a few years. If that is your logic, then never buy anything.

Amen. Apple and Samsung release a new high end phone every year, nvidia and amd do the same for graphics cards, Intel releases many processors each year.

No reason to aasume this won't be the case for VR. I expect a new headset every 1,5-2 years in the beginning, it might speed up later on.
  • Scouting the Forums every day. ;)

I hope i dont need to waist more of my free time.
  • I'm a little bit more relaxed on getting on the pre order list for the CV1 than for the DKs. The production ramp up will be a lot larger I would imagine.
  • Just found this on the Playseat website...... $398.73

http://www.playseatstore.com/oculus-rift-virtual-reality-headset.html
  • itypoitypo Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Idiots, trust me when you order there for 398 and the price comes out to be 450, they won't ship it to you without paying the extra cost, they are just trying to bind you to them.
  • cdmoore74cdmoore74 Posts: 104
    Art3mis

The young-timers should consider themselves lucky. Back in the early 90's I was upgrading my cpu and motherboard every year, memory at one time cost me $400 for 4MB (not gigabytes) and a 800x600 15" CRT monitor was $300. Going online was slow and expensive.
    And fast forward today I could have still rocked my 4 year old i5-2500k for the majority of games but decided that it was time to jump on a sky lake i7-6700k just for Oculus Rift. We now live in a time that does not require us to upgrade like crazy. But Oculus may change that with at least video cards.
  • Hicks613Hicks613 Posts: 317
    Nexus 6
    Lleajy wrote:
    Hi,

I've the following config :

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    GPU: GTX 780 (3Go DDR5)

Do you think I can run the CV1 rift smoothly ?

I think the recent card 9xx are overrated compared to the 780...

I wouldn't bother going with the 900 series cards.

It is late enough in the game to wait for the next gen nVidia (pascal) gpu's.

However, if you're on a budget. You will be able to get a decently priced 980 or 980ti once pascal is on the shelves.
  • numpulsenumpulse Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    cdmoore74 wrote:

The young-timers should consider themselves lucky. Back in the early 90's I was upgrading my cpu and motherboard every year, memory at one time cost me $400 for 4MB (not gigabytes) and a 800x600 15" CRT monitor was $300. Going online was slow and expensive.
    And fast forward today I could have still rocked my 4 year old i5-2500k for the majority of games but decided that it was time to jump on a sky lake i7-6700k just for Oculus Rift. We now live in a time that does not require us to upgrade like crazy. But Oculus may change that with at least video cards.

love it just like the old days when we upgraded to just to play a game, nothing has changed like you still updating i bet the 4mb update was for doom lol.
    this is part off the fun learning new tech keeps ya young
  • Nobbs66Nobbs66 Posts: 722 Poster of the Week
    With the pre orders being early in the morning, I won't be able to get online until 30min after the pre order. I'm afraid that pre orders will be sold out in that 30min period.

Just saw Palmer's tweet, so nevermind. Full steam ahead.
    i7 5820K @ 4.4ghz | R9 Fury Tri X @ 1150mhz | 16GB DDR4 2133mhz
    Trinity
    I'm gonna be home... ready... waiting... for that moment... whitout even knowing how much i have to pay!!!! damn!!!
  • smilertoosmilertoo Posts: 268
    Hiro Protagonist
    I wonder if this means we'll see demonstration booths in some of the better department stores that sell TVs etc.