New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Comments

• ten10ten10 Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    When i put it in the shopping cart, it does show suddenly a price of 59900 Dollars - no decimal point. So i'm not finishing the purchase, since i don't want to have this huge bill on my credit card ...
  • Paradox3713Paradox3713 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Did anyone else get that 3 - 4 minute issue where the sale page wouldn't come up? Even the forum stopped working for a few minutes there. It was like purchasing a Javelin destroyer from CIG.

- Paradox
  • BcollBcoll Posts: 3
    edited January 2016
    How much!!!! Your kidding right!! 350 or there abouts they said...No way am i paying 700 plus euros thanks!! Also its 700 euros WITHOUT shipping costs for Europe. How dose that work?? cos at a price of 600 dollars with the exchange rate should be around 640 euros?? I want to pre order today but ill wait to see what the HTC vive costs i think....Really disappointed!!
  • ShodanShodan Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Conversion rates for countries outside the US seem screwed.

UK shows as 499 pounds. That's the equivalent of $750 (not 600) at the current exchange rate. Mark up of approximately 150 dollars and then you'd have to add shipping (50-100) and import taxes (+20%).
    Europe shows as 699 euros. That's the equivalent of $730 dollars (not 600) at current exchange rate, so a markup of approximately 130 dollars, again before shipping and import taxes (+21%).

As both a DK1 and DK2 owner that is incredibly disappointing.
  • grimdargrimdar Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    I had my alarm set this morning so I could quickly get an order in.. after seeing the price I realized there was no rush :lol: I would be really surprised if pre-orders ran out with that pricing. It's probably worth it though, although I'm sure many will not be able to afford it.

Looking forward to getting my third rift 8-)
  • Kr55Kr55 Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    $914.00 CAD with shipping. Ouch, failing CAD is no fun. Kevin O'Leary calls CAD the "Dollarette". I agree with him today.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    I leave the VR train, ouch!, price is amazingly surprisingly insane for my bank account. I believed, I wanted to believe! I sold my DK2 a month ago to have enough money as first price announced months ago was around 350$. Ouch!, what a punch in my faces ! and Euros conversion, without taxes, already at 699 Euros! ouch!

Now I really hope they will be enough persons who can pay for the CV1 to be able to create a market and have next generations coming at a casual consumer prices, or VR will dye in coming months.

Go guys, buy it for me, buy a lot! I have to wait some years now! ;)

And what about game studios who created game for this high price device? Ouch for them! hope they will survive...

Did I said ouch?

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• I have 2 HD 7970's in Cross-Fire and an overclocked i7-3930k (4.7GHz) and their "tool" says I'm not compatible. Also it says my ASMedia USB 3.0 won't work? What gives.......

WQXjJwk.jpg
  • ruffsnapruffsnap Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    ten10 wrote:
    When i put it in the shopping cart, it does show suddenly a price of 59900 Dollars - no decimal point. So i'm not finishing the purchase, since i don't want to have this huge bill on my credit card ...

I would assume they will have those things sorted out by March, so you should be safe.

Nothing should be showing up on your credit card until March.
  • Kr55Kr55 Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    houndazs wrote:
    I have 2 HD 7970's in Cross-Fire and an overclocked i7-3930k (4.7GHz) and their "tool" says I'm not compatible. Also it says my ASMedia USB 3.0 won't work? What gives.......

WQXjJwk.jpg

Same result for me with the USB 3.0 ports. Guess my motherboard doesn't support the transfer rates they want. Could take a risk just using them and hoping it still works, or you can get a USB 3.0 PCI-E expansion card. Make sure it says 5 Gbps rate per port (some will advertise it as "SuperSpeed"). This is one that everyone keeps bringing up on here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW
  • I came home and saw £500 and not including shipping and tax, so how much will it really cost, then I looked at the package, I were hoping to see an option of buying two sensors. I saw the games it is shipping with and i were expecting first person and occulus studio content too. I look at the price of an xbox one pad and think, dam that is an expensive head set, which I don't even know the true price including tax and shipping. The bit that hurts me is I've never tried one and no way to test it. The pre order date for me will probably be later on shipping. For me at the moment, it has put me off from buying as within the time I wait, I might get a chance to see what vive headset and cost will be. Don't get me wrong I want an Oculus definitely. It is just a huge costly gamble but I so want one. I can say I'm not happy as I'm dying to get my hands on it. I think I'll wait, I wouldn't be suprised on how many others think the same, I really feel like I'd be paying for all the developers free one's they will be getting free. I've already spent £1200 on gpu alone and also considering a new motherboard. I feel robbed, even though I haven't paid anything yet. I do feel happy for supporting the development that has taken place but it were rumoured at 350-500, add tax and shipping and I got motion sickness. I will wait till I know more of what I wish to know. Sorry Oculus, if it were the price after shipping I would have considered it. Another thing is the shipping and pre-order of the touch, Maybe I should wait and get it all shipped together at a better cost for all in one shipping. I so want one though :( I think you should do better to try and convince me.
  • Same result for me with the USB 3.0 ports. Guess my motherboard doesn't support the transfer rates they want. Could take a risk just using them and hoping it still works, or you can get a USB 3.0 PCI-E expansion card. Make sure it says 5 Gbps rate per port (some will advertise it as "SuperSpeed"). This is one that everyone keeps bringing up on here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW

My PCIe x1 is taken up by my Wi-Fi adapter, FML. The other is taken up by my dual-length GPU........I think this may be an excuse to upgrade IF it doesn't work out of the box....
  • reBoot185reBoot185 Posts: 169
    i'm certainly it will be amazing in 2-3 years when the price is more reasonable. for now.. what's with the **** headphones? you'd save 100$ commercial if you took that garbage off

you'd save 100$ commercial if you let us buy our own controller

you'd save 100$ commercial if you go back to the garbage cardboard boxes...

now we're back to the normal overpriced amount..

i'm certain you could simply be decent people and make 50$ profit instead of 150$

so now the price is $200 and that's about the price it should be for all this plastic and wiring.. sucks so many people are willing to pay so much extra for new technology they'll use for an hour a week or less..

my DK2 is great but i don't have the time to use it.. i'd love to make a conversion to rift instead of monitor but i think i'll go with google cardboard items and trinus simply to try to get oculus to stop being so greedy..
  • fishhuntfishhunt Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    cost off this unit to much,i bet you will still get the screen door effect,not as much as the dk2
  • ZimtowerZimtower Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    Does anyone know if the GTX Titan Z meets the minimum requirements? If not, I'll have to resell mine and buy something beefy.
  • I don't know if anyones had there hands on this at ces 2016 or the last round of dev kits.
    Ive had the dk1/dk2s in the past, and price is not an issue. The one big question I have,

is the damn screen door effect completely gone, and you see the pixels still?
  • Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 568
    Trinity
    is the damn screen door effect completely gone, and you see the pixels still?

I've saw some video on youtube were pretti much everyone who tried it said that the screen door effect is gone or reduced a-lot.

I'm just HOPING they sell enough rift's to give the devs a market... if they made it, we have invested our money in a freeking awesome future, if they dont, well, we just tossed a lot of money from the window...
  • What about the countries not present on the pre-order dropdown list?
  • Zimtower wrote:
    Does anyone know if the GTX Titan Z meets the minimum requirements? If not, I'll have to resell mine and buy something beefy.

ROFLMAO :)
  • Just pre-ordered. May delivery
  • zonerbreemzonerbreem Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    What are the system requirements for playing 'Videos" on the rift? If we only want to use the rift for playing VR videos and not video games, can the the rift handle a lower-end pc? Is the gtx 970 gpu only meant to handle high video game processing for the rift?
  • ZimtowerZimtower Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    Locksmith wrote:
    Zimtower wrote:

ROFLMAO :)
    Serious question, it's a dual GPU card with lower clock speeds.
  • Thank u Palmer Lucky for baiting us all, for making promises u can´t hold. Thank u for selling ur invention to Facebook and to help microsoft to get in the boat! You probably would sell your soul to the devil, or ur grandma for enough Money, in my oppinion !

Do i want an Xbox one controller ? "NO !!!" | I already own an xbox360 controller !

Do i want to own Eve Valkyrie ? "Maybe!!?" | I think its my decision !

Do i want to play a jump and run on the Oculus ? "NO !!!" | because it would be a crappy Experience, i would play it
    on a 3dTv instead and not strapping an uncomfortable
    HMD around my head

Would i use the included headphones ? "NO !!!" | because i already own an good & expensive 5.1 Headset

would there be an option to purchase a HMD without this stuff .... Okay!? But NOOO ! Palmer gives u the finger with a greedy for money grin in his face ! It imposed crap you don´t want to own, u dont want to use ! So why to pay for it ? tell me ? anyone ????? I thing there are many many people out there who thinks the same who are totally diasapionted with the prizedecision and so on .. The Prize is WAAAAAAY TOO HIGH (even if I can afford it I will not support this commercial dump, to stick more Money in Butts of stink rich people!!!) Virtual reality belongs the indie scene from now on, in my eyes

dont get me wrong i am not a hater of palmer or his invention (i own a DK2 and having much fun with it) but how things runnig .... how FB, Microsoft and he decides is totally wrong ! they sawing off the branch which they sit on, which is just grown :lol: :lol: :lol:

So i tear the ticket and jump out of the moving train before he goes to the wall

THANK U FACEBOOK... THANK U MICROSOFT and THANK U Mr. PALMER
  • SMatonSMaton Posts: 123
    Brain Burst
    Just made the software test to see if my machine fits...

well...

I expexted the USB3 not to work (I already have en pci-e USB3 card which can be replaced so this is ok).

But my i7-3930K is rated not good enough compared to the i5-4590... this isn't quite right because the i7 outperforms the i5.... (see http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3930K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4590/1487vs2604). This makes me wonder how they do the test... an 3 in front of the x930/x590 doesn't tell the real performance...

Any opinions on this?
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    The CPU part of the test tool is a joke, believe me (I'm a dev). I tried several machine and a I7 3770K OC 4,4GHz is not compatible with CV1 as it said not enough powerful, and suggest instead a I5 core running at 3.70 GHz :shock: They probably just check the model through a table, get the date of release, and nothing more.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• SMatonSMaton Posts: 123
    Brain Burst
    YoLolo69 wrote:
    The CPU part of the test tool is a joke, believe me (I'm a dev). I tried several machine and a I7 3770K OC 4,4GHz is not compatible with CV1 as it said not enough powerful, and suggest instead a I5 core running at 3.70 GHz :shock: They probably just check the model through a table, get the date of release, and nothing more.

I'm a dev also, so ;) I suppose they have the same with USB3 verification etc...
  • dmxgordondmxgordon Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have to say that I am very dissapointed with this preorder program and crazy price.

Alot of countries are left outside and even if you manage to buy it with a friend's help from Another country (like I was trying to do), the price is actually around 750 Euros!!!
    That is alot compared to DK2 which cost me about 400 Euros Tax included.
    Don't try to argue that the sensors/display etc are alot better becouse it is not true. The components are better, ok, but they justify this huge price? Don't think so.

For me it is a huge blow becouse I've been wayting Rift for far too long and after all this time this is what I get...

This is the first time in years that I am actually thinking about HTC VIVE as a better deal.

P.S.

Forgot to mention that if I was drunk and bought this product at this extremely high cost, it will arive in June at best...no thank's!
  • StillXStillX Posts: 14
    I do not think HTC will Vive cheaper Oculus
    i7-4790K @4.6GHz | MSI GTX 980Ti gaming | G.Skill RipjawsX 16GB 1600Mhz | ASUS ROG Maximus VII Gene | Corsair H110i GT | Keyboard Corsair K70 | Mouse Corsair Gaming M65 RGB | HOTAS Saitek X-55 | Headset Roccat Kave XTD 5.1 Digital
  • dmxgordondmxgordon Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I think that in the same price range as oculus, they aer going to offer the VR Controllers as well so that's by far a better deal.
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    StillX wrote:
    I do not think HTC will Vive cheaper Oculus
    But at least they give you the touch controllers included and 2 tracking cams, whats later when we need to buy the touch? Will be also expensive as hell + VAT and shipment cost???? This is a bad marketing move Mr Palmer!!!!
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz