New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Comments

• StillXStillX Posts: 14
    When Oculus is $ 599, the CTS will Vive $ 800 at least, do not expect a gift from HTC
    i7-4790K @4.6GHz | MSI GTX 980Ti gaming | G.Skill RipjawsX 16GB 1600Mhz | ASUS ROG Maximus VII Gene | Corsair H110i GT | Keyboard Corsair K70 | Mouse Corsair Gaming M65 RGB | HOTAS Saitek X-55 | Headset Roccat Kave XTD 5.1 Digital
  • prowlprowl Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    reBoot185 wrote:
    i'm certainly it will be amazing in 2-3 years when the price is more reasonable. for now.. what's with the **** headphones? you'd save 100$ commercial if you took that garbage off

you'd save 100$ commercial if you let us buy our own controller

you'd save 100$ commercial if you go back to the garbage cardboard boxes...

now we're back to the normal overpriced amount..

i'm certain you could simply be decent people and make 50$ profit instead of 150$

so now the price is $200 and that's about the price it should be for all this plastic and wiring.. sucks so many people are willing to pay so much extra for new technology they'll use for an hour a week or less..

my DK2 is great but i don't have the time to use it.. i'd love to make a conversion to rift instead of monitor but i think i'll go with google cardboard items and trinus simply to try to get oculus to stop being so greedy..

Wow. Entitled much? And so wrong.

$10 for the controller.
    $3 for the case

Oh and all the R&D and development costs. You clearly have zero idea how much it costs to make and develop things.

The DK1 and DK2 were way too cheap for developer items for a start.

Stick with your Cardboard as you clearly have a warped sense of life.
  • darkstar826darkstar826 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    It's awesome the consumer version is coming out soon, but can you guys make a core version! You know... Without the free games and the Xbox One controller? This could make me and the others buy the system quick. It will be cheaper for us to buy it. Anyone one agree with me?
  • can you guys make a core version! You know... Without the free games and the Xbox One controller? This could make me and the others buy the system quick. It will be cheaper for us to buy it.
    You're assuming that bundling the games and controller drive up the price significantly, which is wrong.

From Palmer Luckey's AMA:
    (https://nr.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3zt7ul/i_am_palmer_luckey_founder_of_oculus_and_designer/cyovz8j)
    To be perfectly clear, we don’t make money on the Rift. The Xbox controller costs us almost nothing to bundle, and people can easily resell it for profit. A lot of people wish we would sell a bundle without “useless extras” like high-end audio, a carrying case, the bundled games, etc, but those just don’t significantly impact the cost. The core technology in the Rift is the main driver - two built-for-VR OLED displays with very high refresh rate and pixel density, a very precise tracking system, mechanical adjustment systems that must be lightweight, durable, and precise, and cutting-edge optics that are more complex to manufacture than many high end DSLR lenses.
  • Wait what? One dollar equals to 0.92 Euros and the price in dollars is 599USD and in euro's 699€ respectively. The price - as said on the pre-order page - does NOT include shipping. So why is the price in euros 21% more expensive when converted to dollars. I just don't get it :D
    I'll probably wait for HTC to announce the price of the vive before I make my decision.
    (EDIT: I f*ckd up the math)
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    Stop quoting M. Luckey please, you still believe what he say?

I can quote all speeches he had on the CV1 price from 3 years ago to today, when he said "at build cost" or "with FB we will drastically reduce the cost" or when he said he think to propose the device for free for the masses and make money only with software around, or when he said it will be same price than DK2, or when he said not 350$ but same ballpark.

He should stop make any kind of communication and drop this job to another guy IMHO :ugeek:

To be clear, I'll have accepted such high price if I had knew it month ago, unless listening to all what he said so far. Ok, I agree, it's a young boy (I have a children same age) and even if he's one the best visionary guy and I have tons of respect for him he need to learn for sure some tricks on how to speak to the masses. 8-)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• YoLolo69 wrote:
    Stop quoting M. Luckey please, you still believe what he say?

I can quote all speeches he had on the CV1 price from 3 years ago to today, when he said "at build cost" or "with FB we will drastically reduce the cost" or when he said he think to propose the device for free for the masses and make money only with software around, or when he said it will be same price than DK2, or when he said not 350$ but same ballpark.

He should stop make any kind of communication and drop this job to another guy IMHO :ugeek:

To be clear, I'll have accepted such high price if I had knew it month ago, unless listening to all what he said so far. Ok, I agree, it's a young boy (I have a children same age) and even if he's one the best visionary guy and I have tons of respect for him he need to learn for sure some tricks on how to speak to the masses. 8-)
    I wasn't criticising the pricing per se, but the fact that the cost is considerably higher outside us - excluding the shipping. If the vive would retail at 999€, I'd think it would be more value for the money.
  • smilertoosmilertoo Posts: 268
    Hiro Protagonist
    You're talking to a wall, Americans don't get how irritating it is to always see an advertised price for new tech on the internet...then get hit with a much higher price cos you don't live in N.America. Worse, sometimes the product doesn't even get a non American release.
  • How much is the shipping to the uk ? I see the tax price included in the uk, this is looking a better price for the package now, it is looking tempting now but waiting till june, Dam I could possibly get to experience one or buy it straight from a shop. Is it going to ship to the uk shops. I just seen a vive video with the camera and that is looking good, I really wish it were just oculus in existance without all the deccisons. I'm getting desperate for a head set. I don't know what to do. I could have had May as shipping date. I am wondering if to just wait for better news. Head buts the wall and realises that it is beter to do such a thing in virtual reality.
  • Quake1991Quake1991 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi guys I have a High Performance PC ready for the oculus rift. However I want to know if my i3 4360 3.70ghz with hyperthreading tech but oculus want i5 4590 3.20ghz to 3.70ghz turbo boost so please tell me if I'm good to go or not. Thanks guys and sorry if this is in the wrong section
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,067 Valuable Player
    benjybobs wrote:
    How much is the shipping to the uk ? I see the tax price included in the uk, this is looking a better price for the package now, it is looking tempting now but waiting till june, Dam I could possibly get to experience one or buy it straight from a shop. Is it going to ship to the uk shops. I just seen a vive video with the camera and that is looking good, I really wish it were just oculus in existance without all the deccisons. I'm getting desperate for a head set. I don't know what to do. I could have had May as shipping date. I am wondering if to just wait for better news. Head buts the wall and realises that it is beter to do such a thing in virtual reality.
    £30
    So £529 all in

Fingers crossed a few people cancel and you move up the queue
    Quake1991 wrote:
    Hi guys I have a High Performance PC ready for the oculus rift. However I want to know if my i3 4360 3.70ghz with hyperthreading tech but oculus want i5 4590 3.20ghz to 3.70ghz turbo boost so please tell me if I'm good to go or not. Thanks guys and sorry if this is in the wrong section
    I3?.... That is only dual core isn't it? My guess is it will work but will be less than ideal
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Quake1991Quake1991 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    benjybobs wrote:
    How much is the shipping to the uk ? I see the tax price included in the uk, this is looking a better price for the package now, it is looking tempting now but waiting till june, Dam I could possibly get to experience one or buy it straight from a shop. Is it going to ship to the uk shops. I just seen a vive video with the camera and that is looking good, I really wish it were just oculus in existance without all the deccisons. I'm getting desperate for a head set. I don't know what to do. I could have had May as shipping date. I am wondering if to just wait for better news. Head buts the wall and realises that it is beter to do such a thing in virtual reality.
    £30
    So £529 all in

Fingers crossed a few people cancel and you move up the queue
    Quake1991 wrote:
    I3?.... That is only dual core isn't it? My guess is it will work but will be less than ideal

Thanks for the reply

and thanks for the info bigmike
  • About the performance of the pc, I shall be upgrading my motherboard chip and possibly moving to windows 10 for dx12 and the future but I decided to do a test and it says my cpu i7 950 isn't fast enough, I take it that it does not realise that it has been overclocked.

The usb3 ports I have came up it is not acceptable. Is this simply because the software is programed to reconise paticular drivers or Have I got a fault or a probem in software or something disabled. I have the hardware so I asume it software.

If I order my head set I shall worry later about pc and try and see how it goes. I am definitely upgrading. I want the virtual world at its best.
  • Actually, if you did a benchmark with Firestrike before, you can login and see your result there along with the Oculus recommended spec.(9271) together. My notebook is above the required spec. at 10802. Yes
  • smilertoosmilertoo Posts: 268
    Hiro Protagonist
    My 780 is 800 points under the firestrike oculus marker, but im going to assume it would be fine, i have seperate card doing all my physx.
  • my hipe was very high

i load 500 € 2 days before coming out....

now i think that it's not a problem to wait, the price was too much higher than what you sad in the past, i felt like cheated.

this is like an Apple move, i really don't think that the device value so much, the big hardware is all in the PC. So, i will wait and probrally i will go on other device

farewell

p.s.

if you annunced this price from the start, or also a biggher price, but from a year ago, i would have bought it istantly

p.s. 2
    sry for my Bad english
  • BleppeBleppe Posts: 189
    Art3mis
    benjybobs wrote:
    About the performance of the pc, I shall be upgrading my motherboard chip and possibly moving to windows 10 for dx12 and the future but I decided to do a test and it says my cpu i7 950 isn't fast enough, I take it that it does not realise that it has been overclocked.

The usb3 ports I have came up it is not acceptable. Is this simply because the software is programed to reconise paticular drivers or Have I got a fault or a probem in software or something disabled. I have the hardware so I asume it software.

If I order my head set I shall worry later about pc and try and see how it goes. I am definitely upgrading. I want the virtual world at its best.

The i7 950 is probably to old. There is something called IPC (instructions per cycle) you have to take into account aswell.
    You can't compare GHz between 2 processors unfortunatly since a newer CPU can handle more IPC than old CPU's.
    You can read up on it here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_cycle
    Linus tech tips also have a very informative video on the subject http://youtu.be/wfoI-m-3vOk
  • TrebonTrebon Posts: 1
    Wow!! $599 USD...

Maybe if this was two years ago when the Canadian Dollar was not in the shitter compared to the Green back, but at $848 Canadian plus shipping plus GPU upgrade...

I cannot and would not afford one right now.

We'll see what happens over the next couple years.

Keep selling lots so the price will drop so the majority of people out there with below sec rigs can afford to upgrade and purchase the Rift.
  • LitespeedLitespeed Posts: 322
    Trinity
    smilertoo wrote:
    You're talking to a wall, Americans don't get how irritating it is to always see an advertised price for new tech on the internet...then get hit with a much higher price cos you don't live in N.America. Worse, sometimes the product doesn't even get a non American release.
    Most Americans have to pay a higher price than advertised, too. They too have sale tax, though it can vary based on location. This tax usually isn't included in the advertised price in the US (in contrast to Europe where it is a legal requirement to include all taxes).
  • MasterElwoodMasterElwood Posts: 180
    Hiro Protagonist
    It's awesome the consumer version is coming out soon, but can you guys make a core version! You know... Without the free games and the Xbox One controller? This could make me and the others buy the system quick. It will be cheaper for us to buy it. Anyone one agree with me?

NO! Core version at the beginning is a bad idea.
  • ApoloniusApolonius Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    I don't know if this was answered, sorry if was but, i want to know if the xbox controller includes the wireless receiver.

Regards.
  • BleppeBleppe Posts: 189
    Art3mis
    Apolonius wrote:
    I don't know if this was answered, sorry if was but, i want to know if the xbox controller includes the wireless receiver.

Regards.

Yes it's the wireless controller.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,067 Valuable Player
    Shame its not the elite pad..... Imo the best pad on the market
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • I think you guys are overestimating the cost of the Xbox controller inclusion. This is a partnership with Microsoft, my guess is the controllers are coming for free. If not, for a really symbolic price (to Oculus).
  • Also, I wouldn't hold my breath for the Rift becoming cheaper anytime soon. I believe CV1 is being somewhat subsidized. That's alwalys been said and just because the price came higher than expected, that doesn't mean the plan has changed. Also the quality and specs are improved from the previous goals.

The competitors will likely be more expensive, with the possible exception of Sony, but they seem to be in no hurry to actually release Playstation VR. Sony is sinking and can't afford to sell hardware without profits anymore. So the price of the headset should be close....the real difference being the PS4 itself being much cheaper than a high-end Oculus-ready PC.

Truth is the DK1 and DK2 price was revolutionary and set a somewhat unrealistic expectation for the price of the consumer version. If they weer to stick to that price range, they would have to trade off on the quality aspect, basically turning DK2 into CV. Instead they went for a leap of quality.

That also sorta gates out many of the "curious crowd" who might be tempted to buy just to see what the fuss is about, potentially oversizing initial sales and generating bad word of mouth out of misknowledge about what Oculus Rift actualy is supposed to be.

Amazingly, there is still way to much misinformation out there and it is convenient, in a way, to raise the entry barrier to the Rift just a little bit above this big messy space. This will ensure the first wave of consumers is comprised of real enthusiats who are willing to do the investment, and who can provide some valuable feedback. In turn, by raising the quality of the product, Oculus have a higher chance of meeting their expectations.

That "curious crowd" will be up for grabs by Sony, which is gonna be a double-edged knife: it is a big market, but also a dumb one filled with ignorance, skepticism and unreal expectations. Sony sucked hard at demonstrating PS VR at PSX last December, they need better demos if they want to be taken seriously at VR.
  • SpojSpoj Posts: 10
    I can't belive it... $600- and ships in June.

I had $350 squirreled away for the rift like an idiot. I assumed the VIVE would be in the $600+ price range, which is why I kept rooting for the Oculus.. because it would be more affordable option for someone like me.

I guess I'll have to keep watching other people enjoy them on the internet until 2017 when something more affordable comes around. Talk about deflated expectations
  • Tim74UKTim74UK Posts: 1,369
    Nexus 6
    Spoj wrote:
    squirreled away

I love this term... I'm going to adopt it :)

Thank you :D
    My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    I think we all need to calm and wait for 28 March, we need real reviews from consumers using the rift at home, and see if the minimum specs are right! Someone give me a cryogenic capsule and wake me up 28th March :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Cheers!

Edit: 28 March is the day of my Bday, I was surprised when I saw it! Is a sign! :mrgreen:
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • SpojSpoj Posts: 10
    Tim74UK wrote:
    Spoj wrote:
    squirreled away

I love this term... I'm going to adopt it :)

Thank you :D

$600 and its all yours!
  • Any tech you buy will be obsolete in a few years. If that is your logic, then never buy anything.
    I'm not talking about the difference between a galaxy S3 and S4. We have the tech necessary for eye tracking. There's also some really cool things that have been done with myolectrics and tech for bio-digital input and feedback that are already pretty solid. What I'm worried about is getting a rift, a headset that uses peripherals and the groundbreaking hotfix to locomotion sickness being teleporting, and a year or two later seeing a unit go on the market that implements these advances we already have.
    "Obsolete," in the way you are implying is trend wise. I still have a galaxy s3. I've handled an s6. I know that the tech is somewhat different but changes to actual functionality is hardly noticeable. If you have an s6 now, you won't be missing out on anything with the s7. BUT if I buy the Oculus as is, and the tech that I've been talking about begins to be implemented for VR, the Oculus will become definitively obsolete because a totally different means of how VR functions will take place. THAT is what I'm worried about. It'd be like buying the most expensive bike ever the day before Model T's started rolling out.