New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Comments

• BUT if I buy the Oculus as is, and the tech that I've been talking about begins to be implemented for VR, the Oculus will become definitively obsolete because a totally different means of how VR functions will take place. THAT is what I'm worried about. It'd be like buying the most expensive bike ever the day before Model T's started rolling out.

Development time

Consider how long all the players currently developing VR hardware have been doing so. Oculus has discussed much of their background research & taken years to complete it to a high standard. Other offerings also need to complete the development phase & offer a mass produced product.

competition (cost)

Oculus has also to contend with minimum specs of PC hardware. Mainly I see video cards as the limiting factor. Yes CV2 & alternative VR products will be offered in the future. CV2 will require higher PC specs thereby needing both the CV2 hardware & PC hardware prices to be at a level the market will support. Costs can come down, new technology can be implemented. Neither happen in a vacuum. Usually speculation arises & then expect a lead time of say 18 months from when a clear indication a product is under development. Just look at the Sony & Vive offerings ... they're not here yet & specs (implementation method) & cost are unclear. Sony has vast experience in tech yet their product is taking just as long as the new boys on the block.

Price wise Oculus has set a market price for others to follow. Retailing around cost! Either other products have a manufacturing cost advantage, unlikely, or they will enter the market around the same price. A third alternative exists, they delay their VR products until costs drop or they see how Oculus sells & for user experience feedback.

CV1 Power?

One issue I have with the CV1 is not knowing if it uses an external power supply. I need USA model to also do 230/240v. The DK1 & DK2 I bought were international model with adapter plates so don't know if US had these. No photo of the CV1 ever shows a PSU nor is it listed as included yet if not powered by the USB 3.0 ports there will be one. Anybody have an answer for this?
  • LionrezaLionreza Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    Wait what? One dollar equals to 0.92 Euros and the price in dollars is 599USD and in euro's 699€ respectively. The price - as said on the pre-order page - does NOT include shipping. So why is the price in euros 21% more expensive when converted to dollars. I just don't get it :D
    I'll probably wait for HTC to announce the price of the vive before I make my decision.
    (EDIT: I f*ckd up the math)

The thing your not taking into account is prices in america never show sales tax, sales tax changes from State to State. it is added once a delivery address is added. the price you are quoted includes your local taxes
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,067 Valuable Player
    Indeed which is why all my online digital purchases from the US I live in Alaska ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • SpojSpoj Posts: 10
    I live in Alaska ;)

Me too. Trade you some smoked salmon for a crack at the Rift? :)
  • Kr55Kr55 Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    Just noticed the pre-order approximate shipping date is July now.
  • Kr55 wrote:
    I just noticed it is $870 odd dollars here in Austalia. No danger that is remotely competitive here, I don't mind spending that money on a GPU say which I can use for like, everything, but on a niche bit of experimental tech? Not even close. I'm sure there are people who will get it here, more power to them.
  • ZentosiZentosi Posts: 25
    ismithers wrote:
    Kr55 wrote:
    I just noticed it is $870 odd dollars here in Austalia. No danger that is remotely competitive here, I don't mind spending that money on a GPU say which I can use for like, everything, but on a niche bit of experimental tech? Not even close. I'm sure there are people who will get it here, more power to them.

Note that is in USD as well :shock:
  • onefangonefang Posts: 249
    NerveGear
    ismithers wrote:
    Kr55 wrote:

"Remotely competitive", Oculus Rift is the only game in town until Vive gets released, there's nothing to be competitive with.
  • JacobVRJacobVR Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    I know this will eventually come to consoles but I think its exactly what the PC market needs right now, if this doesn't boost massive interest back into PC gaming like the 90s / early 2000 then I don't know what will.
  • SteffenSteffen Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    The Oculus Remote, what do I need to make that thing work?

No serieosly under the spec requrements it do not say you need wireless netcard or bluetooth. I'm gonna build a gaming pc without anything that is not needed. I have planned to use net caple and need to know if I need to buy wireless something to make The Oculus Remote work.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You don't need to buy anything extra for the Remote to work.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • SteffenSteffen Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    Okay thanks. Then I surpose it works with the xBox controller wireless USB stick
  • EIwEIw Posts: 59
    Is there any chance that the company shuts down without shipping these devices? If so, is there any recourse?
  • pbowlenpbowlen Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    EIw wrote:
    Is there any chance that the company shuts down without shipping these devices? If so, is there any recourse?

uhm.. they have not charged you anything yet. so your not out anything.
  • rlabellerlabelle Posts: 215
    Art3mis
    Considering Facebook is worth nearly $200 Billion with a user base of over 1 billion people per day, I doubt they will fold. The $2 Billion they threw at VR with the Rift is pocket change, and more than likely they have a business model showing it not even being profitable for a few years. I believe their approach is more to create something you can't live without and THEN own you with it. :lol: ;)
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1
    FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave
    Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28
  • smilertoosmilertoo Posts: 268
    Hiro Protagonist
    I hope not, the day they lock it to a facebook account is the day i sell it and move to another platform.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,067 Valuable Player
    EIw wrote:

even if this happened after they have taken payment your paypal / credit card should cover you... however imo the chances of this happening are probably about as likely as amazon shutting down.

oculus have already shipped 2 successful devices, and now they have facebook behind them.

your money is safer with them than with most companies.

(imo of course)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • rlabellerlabelle Posts: 215
    Art3mis
    smilertoo wrote:
    I hope not, the day they lock it to a facebook account is the day i sell it and move to another platform.

My understanding is that Facebook is planning on creating an entire virtual store where you can shop, watch movies, social media, etc. Doesn't interest me, but I can see where some people would see the appeal.
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1
    FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave
    Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28
  • RuudscornerRuudscorner Posts: 436
    Art3mis
    rlabelle wrote:
    smilertoo wrote:

My understanding is that Facebook is planning on creating an entire virtual store where you can shop, watch movies, social media, etc. Doesn't interest me, but I can see where some people would see the appeal.
    I'm intrigued that you say "Facebook is planning". Are you talking about Oculus Home? If you are, I would not call out that Facebook is behind it. Oculus Home is nothing more than a step in VR evolution just as Steam's VR mode...
  • MasterElwoodMasterElwood Posts: 180
    Hiro Protagonist
    smilertoo wrote:

THIS! I love OCULUS to the death - but FriendFace is a NO-GO!
  • JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 161
    Art3mis
    Steffen wrote:
    Okay thanks. Then I surpose it works with the xBox controller wireless USB stick

You just need one additional USB3 port for that kit!

The information you need is found on this page ;

https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us
  • NjayNLNjayNL Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    Ship it already :P just upgraded to a GTX980Ti :) so im all ready
  • Sorry for being repetitive, I guess lots of people asked this before...
    WHEN can countries that are not in 20 lucky ... list pre-order or order cv1? checking media each day and still 0 news on this and hype is dying, + vive pre-orders are coming closer (few days left), I guess they wont make same mistake as oculus and let all countries pre-order it, not only 'lucky' ones :evil:
  • PyroSteelPyroSteel Posts: 303
    Art3mis
    aluniras wrote:
    I guess they wont make same mistake as oculus and let all countries pre-order it, not only 'lucky' ones :evil:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Vive ships to only 2 more countries than the Rift...

Vive is shipping to...
    Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, China,Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, UK, US.

Oculus is shipping to...
    Austria (available as of February 2016), Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland (available as of February 2016), Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States

So unless you are in the Czech Republic or China, there is no difference.
    But Oh, how bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man's eyes.
  • JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 161
    Art3mis
    Are there any performance comparsion on general CPU load generated using different tracking techs on Rift & Vive?

/J
  • littletronlittletron Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    aluniras wrote:
    Sorry for being repetitive, I guess lots of people asked this before...
    WHEN can countries that are not in 20 lucky ... list pre-order or order cv1? checking media each day and still 0 news on this and hype is dying, + vive pre-orders are coming closer (few days left), I guess they wont make same mistake as oculus and let all countries pre-order it, not only 'lucky' ones :evil:

send someone the cash for them to order it for you :)
  • hi community,

since i have no idea how to open a new post, i can only reply to this one - even if my toppic does not fit here.

a friend gave me the oculus package. he told me only sdk1 would be running on it because its hardware from a few years back. i spent all day installing and deinstalling all of the software-versions of this website. nothing seems to work.

i get a signal in the oculus when using runtime sdk 0.6.0.1. - but the configuration-tool says the oculus is not connected (but it is). another configuration-tool wants an extra device (which is not part of the package i have here - i guess this one is for SDK 2).

it would be great if some one could tell me what combination of runtime-engine and utility-tool of the download-section might work together. i am pretty lost here. thank you very much for any response. i work on windows 7.

regards

andré
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    AndreFritz wrote:
    hi community,

since i have no idea how to open a new post, i can only reply to this one - even if my toppic does not fit here.

a friend gave me the oculus package. he told me only sdk1 would be running on it because its hardware from a few years back. i spent all day installing and deinstalling all of the software-versions of this website. nothing seems to work.

i get a signal in the oculus when using runtime sdk 0.6.0.1. - but the configuration-tool says the oculus is not connected (but it is). another configuration-tool wants an extra device (which is not part of the package i have here - i guess this one is for SDK 2).

it would be great if some one could tell me what combination of runtime-engine and utility-tool of the download-section might work together. i am pretty lost here. thank you very much for any response. i work on windows 7.

regards

andré

There should be a button in the top left that says "new topic". Click that to create a new topic. It is possible though, you need a small amount of replies on other topics before you can make one.
  • Yepp - you need to post at least once in a sensible manner to be able to post new topics to the forum, from what I understand. Such as this post from me... :)
  • All European countries have to pay 699 EURO which is 28% more than US price of $599.
    The VAT tax is 19,20,21% depending on country, but it is only 8% in Switzerland (!)

Switzerland is not in EU, is not using EURO currency, but your price is still 699 EURO, so there is a mysterious 20% surcharge.

Additionally it seems that you will be sending the device from an European warehouse, and this will cause the postal service to bill me for additional 8% as this package will be coming from abroad, therefore I will be paying $860 plus some fixed fess for import. Why so cruel? 43% on top when the government tax is only 8% ?