New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

1111213141517»

Comments

• SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    janosicek wrote:
    All European countries have to pay 699 EURO which is 28% more than US price of $599.
    The VAT tax is 19,20,21% depending on country, but it is only 8% in Switzerland (!)

Switzerland is not in EU, is not using EURO currency, but your price is still 699 EURO, so there is a mysterious 20% surcharge.

Additionally it seems that you will be sending the device from an European warehouse, and this will cause the postal service to bill me for additional 8% as this package will be coming from abroad, therefore I will be paying $860 plus some fixed fess for import. Why so cruel? 43% on top when the government tax is only 8% ?

There are no import duties for Switzerland when ordering something from a European Country, same is vice versa for anyone ordering goods from Switzerland into a European Country.

This is because Switzerland, even though they are not a European Union Member, is part of the EFTA. In fact, you can even ask your government to refund VAT once a year.
  • Hey there,
    Syrellaris wrote:
    This is because Switzerland, even though they are not a European Union Member, is part of the EFTA. In fact, you can even ask your governmeent to refund VAT once a year.

Switzerland is part of the EFTA, but the EFTA only has the following member states: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland. (http://www.efta.int/)

The EFTA members Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway are also part of the EEA wich is a Free Trace agreement between those three countries and the EU member states.

Switzerland however has a bilateral agreement with the EU which also covers a Free Trade Agreement (http://eeas.europa.eu/switzerland/index_en.htm)

Just to set things straight :-)

bye
    Darky
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 975
    3Jane
    Stupid question for CV1

Is there a physical on/off switch on the CV1 like the DK2 ?

I ask in regards to Playing... let's say Elite in the CV1 and I want to switch over to the monitor, is there a switch to turn it off, is it a in game setting that will need to be in place, or is it done through the SDK ?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    There is not an off switch. However there is a proximity sensor that can tell when you are wearing the device or not. It turns on when you put in on your face. However, it's up to developers how they want to treat this action and making an app that seamlessly switches between modes is complex.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    3Jane
    There is not an off switch. However there is a proximity sensor that can tell when you are wearing the device or not. It turns on when you put in on your face. However, it's up to developers how they want to treat this action and making an app that seamlessly switches between modes is complex.

Thank you CR
  • The Rift is going to be awesome. I'm hoping to have Oculus featured in my business soon. I can't wait.
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501

What??? Thats genius!!
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • So excited! Can't wait experience the Oculus Rift!
    3Jane
    We all know how soft the lens were in the DK2 and very easy to scratch / mark, will the CV1 be just as soft or a bit harder material ?
  • H4TEH4TE Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    6.3. "Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog."

Uh, did i miss something and if yes, can someone guide me to the right place? :)
  • RaydenRayden Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I have looked closely at the rift photos provided and I have a few questions:

1) Is the USB cable detachable from the RIFT headset ?
    2) Is the USB cable detachable from the Camera ?
    3) In the box is there additional facial interface / spacer for the glasses ?
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,231
    Wintermute
    Zandil wrote:
    We all know how soft the lens were in the DK2 and very easy to scratch / mark, will the CV1 be just as soft or a bit harder material ?
    hatec0re wrote:
    6.3. "Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog."

Uh, did i miss something and if yes, can someone guide me to the right place? :)
    Rayden wrote:
    I have looked closely at the rift photos provided and I have a few questions:

1) Is the USB cable detachable from the RIFT headset ?
    2) Is the USB cable detachable from the Camera ?
    3) In the box is there additional facial interface / spacer for the glasses ?

I would like to bump the last three questions in this thread as I would like to know the answers to these three questions also please? :mrgreen:
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited March 2016
    I don't know what the lenses are made from, but I've had my Rift for at least a month and had no problems with scratches (though I didn't have any scratches with my DK2 either).

There have been some specs released, I think maybe it was in reference to this developer blog post: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/ 

The USB/HDMI combo cable for the Rift is detachable. However it is a custom port on the headset. USB cable is not detachable from the camera. Not sure about the spacers, but the default one works fine with glasses (I use it all the time).
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • KBKKBK Posts: 983
    Art3mis
    EliteSPA said:

What??? Thats genius!!
    "When you're one step ahead, you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

I would not necessarily call it genius. Simply a smart application of an idea that came up.

Real genius...... is shit you don't understand.
    Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
  • V-WalkerV-Walker Posts: 108
    edited March 2016
    EliteSPA said:

What??? Thats genius!!
    FYI Vive also has a proximity sensor in the HMD. When removed it turns off the HMD, Controllers AND the lighthouse basestations (via bluetooth comms that is now in consumer version basestations and breakout box). No interaction needed.

Genius is all around! :)
  • Q2*
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited March 2016
    First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q2 2016

i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q2 2016. To a select few. If you're luck(e)y.
  • SUBZer0VRSUBZer0VR Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    Lmmfao 2ND QTR. Negative.... I'm thinking more like Holiday season expectations.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,108 Valuable Player
    So I got my email hopefully shipping the 12th of Aprilish 27x ordered at 4.11pm. I cannot wait to call Hitler and rub it in his face. :)
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    So I got my email hopefully shipping the 12th of Aprilish 27x ordered at 4.11pm. I cannot wait to call Hitler and rub it in his face. :)
    Just to warn you, it probaby won't be shipping on the 12th(ish). That's the date they're going to update us on when you're likely to get shipping.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,108 Valuable Player
    Ok I'll put the call to berlin on hold :)
  • LohwaLohwa Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    xxx32xxx shipment estimate:6/20/2016 - 6/30/2016 and ordered 6h after launch.
  • bubsnewsbubsnews Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    32 and you ordered 6 hours after launch?  Doesn't make sense, I ordered at 66 minutes and am a 33.
  • LohwaLohwa Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Well im from finland. maybe difference is where you make your order
  • Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 568
    Trinity
    bubsnews said:
    32 and you ordered 6 hours after launch?  Doesn't make sense, I ordered at 66 minutes and am a 33.
    i'm 33 too and i ordered 2 hrs after launch...
    Goddamnit oculus! give us some clue about that order we are melting our brains!
    Kalec84 said:
    Goddamnit oculus! give us some clue about that order we are melting our brains!
    There is a clue. You can check your Order History and see an estimated shipping window.