New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Comments

• Malkmus1979Malkmus1979 Posts: 763
    Brain Burst
    Tim74UK wrote:
    snappahead wrote:
    I think we've had this discussion before, but I'd say content is the main reason. Even if the hardware was ready, software wouldn't be and hardware without software is pretty useless. Theyve also been hard at work on an input solution and maybe they didn't know until recently if CV1 would include one or not. Just speculation on my part.

Yep and I still don't agree with you on that point.

For me they should have released the CB in the same way as they Did DK2... I would have been happy playing Elite Dangerous and Alien isolation and Skyrim and Project Cars and and and with better resolution than what I had to with the DK2.

You're only disagreeing by arguing against what makes good business sense (not releasing every prototype for mass-consumption) versus your personal satisfaction. You might as well argue that the Vive and Morpheus should be out right now as well since they already "work".
  • thief6666thief6666 Posts: 42
    YAY. Lenses - to me they look a little like WEARLITY - can the FOV be larger than 110 degrees? FOV matters quite o lot to me - I made my own version of cardboard and using combination of lenses I could achieve someting like 120-130 FOV (with huge pixels but..) and its hard to got back to 100...
  • Tim74UKTim74UK Posts: 1,369
    Nexus 6
    agnu wrote:
    Probably the HW was ready (needing only minor refinements) and they were developing content, and sponsoring 3rd parties to develop contents.

Content is the thing that will sell the rift, and it has to be available on launch. Especially when you consider the competition (valve).

I am leaning in this direction as well. It seems the developers have the tools they need at the moment (for the most part) and the rest of this year will allow them to polish their VR experiences to be ready for the big consumer release.

WE small time developers on here are worth little in comparison to the big boys.... The content pressure should be squarly on their shoulders!

And you know what.... they Delivered or are in the process of already....

Alien: Isolation
    Adrift
    Assetto Corsa
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
    Daylight
    Elite: Dangerous
    Euro Truck Simulator 2
    EVE Valkyrie
    Half-Life 2
    iRacing.com
    Minecraft
    Project C.A.R.S.
    Second Life
    Space Hulk: Deathwing
    Star Citizen
    Team Fortress 2
    Titanfall
    Unreal Tournament
    War Thunder
    My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10
    Nexus 6
    Tim74UK wrote:
    snappahead wrote:
    I think we've had this discussion before, but I'd say content is the main reason. Even if the hardware was ready, software wouldn't be and hardware without software is pretty useless. Theyve also been hard at work on an input solution and maybe they didn't know until recently if CV1 would include one or not. Just speculation on my part.

For me they should have released the CB in the same way as they Did DK2... I would have been happy playing Elite Dangerous and Alien isolation and Skyrim and Project Cars and and and with better resolution than what I had to with the DK2.

You're only disagreeing by arguing against what makes good business sense (not releasing every prototype for mass-consumption) versus your personal satisfaction. You might as well argue that the Vive and Morpheus should be out right now as well since they already "work".

I didn't say they should have released CB for mass consumption... they should have released instead of the DK2... pulled the DK2 and put in its place the CB.

how could that have been anything other than good common business sense?
    My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    Tim74UK wrote:
    snappahead wrote:

Sure, us enthusiasts would probably be willing to buy small upgrades, but most people likely wouldn't and the average PC gamer is who they're trying to market with CV1. I think shipping marginal upgrades every 6 months would frustrate the demographic a bit.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    Brain Burst
    Tim74UK wrote:
    I didn't say they should have released CB for mass consumption... they should have released instead of the DK2... pulled the DK2 and put in its place the CB.

You're speaking in very simplistic terms speculation about very complicated matters as if these were easy changes for them to make. Of course in hindsight you would have waited for CB instead of DK2. But DK2 wasn't itself an easy product to roll out. You also assume that releasing CB as a dev kit on the same scale as DK2 would have been feasible from a manufacturing and cost standpoint. All Oculus was thinking was that they could get a very affordable dev kit out to the masses with DK2.
    Nexus 6
    Tim74UK wrote:

You're speaking in very simplistic terms speculation about very complicated matters as if these were easy changes for them to make. Of course in hindsight you would have waited for CB instead of DK2. But DK2 wasn't itself an easy product to roll out. You also assume that releasing CB as a dev kit on the same scale as DK2 would have been feasible from a manufacturing and cost standpoint. All Oculus was thinking was that they could get a very affordable dev kit out to the masses with DK2.

Whats difficult about pulling the outdated hardware and offering the newer better spec hardware instead?

It makes no sense to make ALL the market wait, when there is us lot who buy it anyway.... even if it's a work in progress ala DK1 / DK2
    Trinity
    Tim74UK wrote:
    Tim74UK wrote:

Whats difficult about pulling the outdated hardware and offering the newer better spec hardware instead?

It makes no sense to make ALL the market wait, when there is us lot who buy it anyway.... even if it's a work in progress ala DK1 / DK2
    Why would they pull DK2? CB is an upgrade, but doesn't add anything critical to game development. Besides,the market you're speaking of technically doesn't exist since it's us enthusiasts buying a dev kit that's not intended for us. I doubt Oculus is concerned with selling more dev kits to us non-devs.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    Nexus 6
    snappahead wrote:
    Why would they pull DK2? CB is an upgrade, but doesn't add anything critical to game development.

Are you kidding?

With that mentality why go to a DK2 after all we had DK1
    Brain Burst
    Tim74UK wrote:
    snappahead wrote:
    Why would they pull DK2? CB is an upgrade, but doesn't add anything critical to game development.

Are you kidding?

Because there was no positional tracking, an integral part of VR.
    Nexus 6
    Tim74UK wrote:
    snappahead wrote:

Are you kidding?

Because there was no positional tracking, an integral part of VR.

But not 360 head tracking and better ergonomics and higher resolution with less SDE....
    Brain Burst
    Tim74UK wrote:
    But not 360 head tracking and better ergonomics and higher resolution with less SDE....

You don't need those things to develop. This isn't hard to understand, but you're making it really complicated.
    Nexus 6
    Tim74UK wrote:

You don't need those things to develop. This isn't hard to understand, but you're making it really complicated.

If you want to develop using old hardware thats up to you... the rest of us however want the latest... wherever that's at.
    Trinity
    Agreed, Malkmus. Believe me Tim, I understand wanting these things in your hands. I also count the days until we get great VR, but you're only looking at this from your own personal perspective and what you personally want and not from what makes sense for Oculus from a business perspective.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • TwitchmonkeyTwitchmonkey Posts: 1,121
    Wasn't expecting this today. Seems like an E3 announcement would have made more sense, but I guess they didn't want this news to get washed away amid all of the other E3 announcements. Now it's known that Oculus is going to be at E3 in a big way. Still, not a lot of hopeful news, no specs and a release after the Vive. They can't be happy about being second to the market, but I guess that means they're making improvements that won't be ready until then. As big as this announcement is, it's hard to get too excited without specs.

Anyway, congrats Team Oculus, I'm sure you'll wow us when you'r eable to actually talk about the Rift. I guess it's just going to be called the Rift then? That makes sense.
  • SuperDreSuperDre Posts: 30
    uhoh....... Sorry, but if that's all the designteam could come up with then please sack them all... This is really by far one of the ugliest designs I've seen for a VR headset..
    I mean, comeon, extra plastic and padding doesn't add that much to the costs of the unit itself..
    I would suggest to look at the headset from 'the void' or HELL even the old forte VFX-1..

I know that due to the design this consumer version has dropped from top of my list to a few steps below, so unless the tech inside is better than it's competition at the time of release (and availability) it won't end up in my collection..
    This is so disappointing to see what the end result is going to be after so many years and so much money invested in the product.. I would have not expected this kind of design to be the finished design... :cry:
    DK2 CPU: i7 4770K Mem: 16GB GPU: GTX760 2GB OS: Windows 8.1 pro x64
    Controllers: Wireless xbox360 controller, Logitec Extreme 3D Pro, Logitec Momo steeringwheel, LeapMotion
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    Congrats to Oculus! I was barely awake this morning when I read the kickstarter update about this, and then 5 seconds later fully awake. :)
    SuperDre wrote:
    extra plastic and padding
    It's the VR experience inside that truly counts. High quality headsets are likely a form-follows-function thing at this point (first gen consumer release), because getting the weight down while still keeping it robust and comfortable is far more important, and the last thing I'd want is to see extra plastic. I wouldn't worry too much, as I was already quite impressed with how good it felt wearing CB prototype -- it was light and comfortable at the same time.
  • SuperDreSuperDre Posts: 30
    drash wrote:
    SuperDre wrote:
    It's the VR experience inside that truly counts.

A good fitting headset is what makes the VR experience, and the Ski-goggles type of headset aren't good fitting headsets, yes they are fine for testing purposes, but for actually playing they are not.. take a look at the ones from 'the void' (just google it) and you'll see much better headsets..
    It really shouldn't add that much to the price of the unit, but it will add so much more to the comfort and experience..
    DK2 CPU: i7 4770K Mem: 16GB GPU: GTX760 2GB OS: Windows 8.1 pro x64
    Controllers: Wireless xbox360 controller, Logitec Extreme 3D Pro, Logitec Momo steeringwheel, LeapMotion
  • jb0yzjb0yz Posts: 1
    Tim74UK wrote:
    Tim74UK wrote:

If you want to develop using old hardware thats up to you... the rest of us however want the latest... wherever that's at.

Do you write applications with your OR? I understand what he's saying very clearly, it's pretty obvious you do not.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... air+Expert

developer kit intended for developers
    Trinity
    drash wrote:
    Congrats to Oculus! I was barely awake this morning when I read the kickstarter update about this, and then 5 seconds later fully awake. :)
    SuperDre wrote:
    It's the VR experience inside that truly counts. High quality headsets are likely a form-follows-function thing at this point (first gen consumer release), because getting the weight down while still keeping it robust and comfortable is far more important, and the last thing I'd want is to see extra plastic. I wouldn't worry too much, as I was already quite impressed with how good it felt wearing CB prototype -- it was light and comfortable at the same time.
    Ha! Me too. Woke up and did my usual groggy refresh on the reddit page...WIDE awake.

Agree on the design too. It's what it needs to be right now. It looks light and as small as it can be. I like it a lot more than the Vive..though I kinda like that funky design too.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    Trinity
    SuperDre wrote:
    drash wrote:
    SuperDre wrote:
    It's the VR experience inside that truly counts.

A good fitting headset is what makes the VR experience, and the Ski-goggles type of headset aren't good fitting headsets, yes they are fine for testing purposes, but for actually playing they are not.. take a look at the ones from 'the void' (just google it) and you'll see much better headsets..
    It really shouldn't add that much to the price of the unit, but it will add so much more to the comfort and experience..
    Looked at some pics and the Void also uses a goggle style design..they just chose to make it bigger and cover more of your head... not sure why you would want that.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • Voyager_NLVoyager_NL Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I don't understand all the negativity here. People should be happy that CV1 is finally anounced. I know I am!

Furthermore: at this moment nobody in the public knows the techspecs for Rift, nor the price. Anything anyone will tell you at this moment is speculation.

The facts at this moment:
      - Valve/HTC Re-Vive is 1200x1080 x2 = 2.6M pixels at a self proclaimed High quality price. Probably due to the tracking system and it possibly being wireless (My guess: Between $500 - $1000 which is a broad bandwidth, I know that's why it is a guess! and not fact). Final product may be higher resolution, it might not. We just don't know yet do we?! - Rift Crescent Bay resolution was at least as good as Samsung GearVR running at 2560x1440. Which is 3.6M pixels. Now, we don't know if CV1 is going to be higher in resolution. It might be 4K... it might not. Speculate what you want, in a week or so we know for certain.

Not so factual, my impression of the current state of affairs:
      - I don't see any problem for support on the big game platforms: STEAM already supports Rift and will continue to do so in the future it will also support Re Vive / OSVR. The community just will not let them steal the market in that way (noticed what happened to Gabe Newell when they announced the payed mods? Everyones pet favorite got slaughtered in only one day.) - Early 2016 fits with the next generation of 4K VR capable videocards based on a Single GPU with speedy HBM from both nVidia (Pascal series) and AMD (400 series) so therefore Rift might actually already BE 4K. Because it fits the market. They might actually BUNDLE it with the new cards for an early win. Oculus has always been straightforward about the idea of bringing VR to the market for the lowest price possible while still upholding a good, no, PERFECT experience. Bundling the Rift with another product has been one of their ideas/options since the start. (They even talked about giving them away for free but I don't think they'll go that far... and... nothing is for free. ;)

Cheers all and enjoy! Good times ahead! Less then 10 months to go :geek:
  • willstewillste Posts: 675
    Brain Burst
    None of these HMDs will be technically 4k according to Carmack, the screen tech just isn't there yet. But your getting 2 screens instead of 1 divide into two. Even if the res is around the same as the vive at 1080x1200. Your only missing around 700 pixels on 1 axis for each screen before you are effectively equivalent to a 4k screen split in half.

So if they gave us two 1600x1200 panels or something it would be pretty high res, assuming the two screen format shoots for a more boxy aspect ratio.

Hopefully they will be doing some E3 demos so we can see if this thing measures up to or is even better than recent Vive experiences. I feel like if they only match the wow factor of the Vive they will have failed in some way to deliver on their early promises of being the best. Unless it turns out to be way cheaper and equivalent.
    Nexus 6
    Voyager_NL wrote:
    - Early 2016 fits with the next generation of 4K VR capable videocards based on a Single GPU with speedy HBM from both nVidia (Pascal series) and AMD (400 series) so therefore Rift might actually already BE 4K.

Sure for those that not only have the money for the rift but an entirely new rig to run it on too.....

Think you are fooling yourself if you think the resolution will be anything higher than 1440p.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,278
    3Jane
    Tim74UK wrote:
    I think it shows they are rushing to market as fast as they can go.
    They've been rushing it for 3 years : But only the release date not the Quality :)

I thought the dual screen (?) would mean they could and would go with a much sleeker design (less smartphone sky goggles and more dual screen sunglasses), and when I saw the headphone my first thought was they added a pair of antennas for dual wireless HDMI... Just daydreaming.

But out of the "big three", the Rift just went from "the one with no release date" to "the one with a release date AND a price range" : The rift is now officially ahead of the competition in terms of information release, in fact they're even ahead of E3 ^^

And whatever that means, they used the magic word : "input".

Unless they're going for a 2D gamepad, that's more important then the release date itself.
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 976
    3Jane
    All i can say is

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiVOa5lxnOqpsX9M4FD_G6v1SjJxYREmjo7Z4I0xqbwikCSjcR6w

Q1 is my Birthday ;)
  • NightShadowNightShadow Posts: 10
    Q1 is my Birthday ;)

So is mine. February!
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 976
    3Jane
    headphones removable ? kind of look like they might be locked in from pic