New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Comments

• Tim74UKTim74UK Posts: 1,369
    Nexus 6
    I think the Nate's comment about it being more expensive for CV1 than say Gear VR is due to the cost involved in the PC hardware required.

Think about it... you can build a PC for around £1300 that has all you would need.... that + your CV1 makes it an estimated £1600.

Whereas Gear VR is yours for the phone at £350 and the GearVr itself at £200 total price £550....

So we are talking significantly more.... for the person who doesn't have a gaming PC already... But hell, most of us built our rigs for DK2 and beyond already so we the enthusiasts and the devs have zero to worry about.

In 5-10 years time, things will be different as the processing power will have become so powerful and so cheap that it could be built directly into the HMD's.

Just imagine a single chipset no bigger than your hand that has the power of a top spec gaming pc... this is where VR is going... Custom Chipsets specifically for the job of VR.
    My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10
  • SuperDreSuperDre Posts: 30
    You can't compare the VR of the GearVR combined with the Samsung S6 to the Oculus with a real game PC.. It's like comparing a low-end device with a highend device.. and I think a $600 PC (no monitor/keyboard) would be able to produce comparable graphics as the S6.. But let's not forget, the gearvr/s6 is low-end VR compared to oculus/pc (as highend for consumers)..
    But time will tell, let's first just wait at the real specs for the CV1 itself.. It's no use speculating at all..
    DK2 CPU: i7 4770K Mem: 16GB GPU: GTX760 2GB OS: Windows 8.1 pro x64
    Controllers: Wireless xbox360 controller, Logitec Extreme 3D Pro, Logitec Momo steeringwheel, LeapMotion
    Nexus 6
    SuperDre wrote:
    You can't compare the VR of the GearVR combined with the Samsung S6 to the Oculus with a real game PC.. It's like comparing a low-end device with a highend device.. and I think a $600 PC (no monitor/keyboard) would be able to produce comparable graphics as the S6.. But let's not forget, the gearvr/s6 is low-end VR compared to oculus/pc (as highend for consumers)..
    But time will tell, let's first just wait at the real specs for the CV1 itself.. It's no use speculating at all..

Which is exactly what Nate said concerning price.
    My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10
  • Malkmus1979Malkmus1979 Posts: 763
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2015
    SuperDre wrote:
    reptilexcq wrote:
    Price:$450

That's much higher price wise than Oculus have stated it will be though. That would be more than twice the price of the Gear VR.

It's not a much higer price as Oculus have stated, it will be around that price you'll have to pay for a CV1.

I'm simply going off Nate's comment that CV1 will be a "a little more expensive" than the Gear VR. The GVR is $200, therefore $450 would be a lot more expensive than the Gear VR. I expect it to be between $300 - $400, most likely $350.
    SuperDre wrote:
    You can't compare the GearVR to the Oculus, the GearVR requires a smartphone which itself is around $600..
    But I'm sure the options reptilexcq mentioned won't be in the CV1..

Nate Mitchell is the one comparing the price of of the Oculus Rift and Gear VR, not me. But it's strange that you mention the GVR needs a phone to operate as if the Oculus Rift will just work out of the box.
    Nate Mitchell is the once comparing the price of of the Oculus Rift and Gear VR, not me. But it's strange that you mention the GVR needs a phone to operate as if the Oculus Rift will just work out of the box.

With needing the phone I meant in regard to the screens and some 'tracking' hardware, GearVR is nothing more than an advanced (and very expensive) google Cardboard (which only has some extra tracking hardware which complements the tracking hardware of the S6 and a small touchpad), the Oculus has all the needed display/tracking hardware in itself and an external camera.. So the price of $450 isn't even that much of a higher price in regard to what it has extra over the gearvr, let's not forget, the DK2 did cost that much, and maybe you even get something like handtracking with the CV1 (like the combo of the DK2 with a motionleap)..
    Controllers: Wireless xbox360 controller, Logitec Extreme 3D Pro, Logitec Momo steeringwheel, LeapMotion
    Brain Burst
    SuperDre wrote:
    Nate Mitchell is the once comparing the price of of the Oculus Rift and Gear VR, not me. But it's strange that you mention the GVR needs a phone to operate as if the Oculus Rift will just work out of the box.

With needing the phone I meant in regard to the screens and some 'tracking' hardware, GearVR is nothing more than an advanced (and very expensive) google Cardboard (which only has some extra tracking hardware which complements the tracking hardware of the S6 and a small touchpad), the Oculus has all the needed display/tracking hardware in itself and an external camera.. So the price of $450 isn't even that much of a higher price in regard to what it has extra over the gearvr, let's not forget, the DK2 did cost that much, and maybe you even get something like handtracking with the CV1 (like the combo of the DK2 with a motionleap)..

I fully understand that the Oculus Rift is a more advanced device. That being said, in regards to Nate Mitchell's quote, I still expect to see it sell for under $400.
    Nexus 6
    SuperDre wrote:

Naaaa They will want to get them out there and for way cheaper than the Vive.... I say £350 Tops!
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,190 Valuable Player
    £350 I think will be the top end price too.

even taking into account taxes etc £350 equates to $550. given I only paid £275 for my DK2, I am hoping that £350 is the VERY top end.

I reckon if CV1 dropped at $550 inc taxes, there would be a lot of irate Americans out there.

ironically so long as we get a like for like price, I suspect us brits would tolerate that.

What would grind my gears would be if we got shafted like we do for most electrical goods where $1 equates to £1. Oculus have done well by us so far however, so hopefully that continues.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RonsonPLRonsonPL Posts: 1,115
    Trinity
    This is already 100% certain:
    The price will be low.
    Too low, actually, because it won't offer what it should offer to PC gamers who treat their hobby seriously, and won't offer what was promised "best VR we can do under 499$". Oculus went full-casual, full-mass market, full "cheap, cheap, CHEAP!" so if anyone should worry about the price, it should be people who worry about too cheap components and too low quality.

If Oculus is targetting the mass market, and Sony promised to subsidize Morpheus (+ the advantage of many people already owning PS4 or PS4 + Move controllers), then the price will be low. Really low. Unfortunately :(
    Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore.
    Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash.
    Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,278
    3Jane
    You're not getting a fully fledged last generation smartphone in the CV1, in fact it doesn't even have to be a smartphone at all : How could you fit a full ~600$ priced smartphone into the price range of a ~400$ announced Headset to begin with ?

But replace that high end smartphone with a pair of bare screens (with no high end APU, loads of memory, excess amount of hardware gadgets or whatever, and it doesn't have to be touchscreens either), then you can add the Headset, positional tracking, input controller costs and remove the profit margin, and still be under 400$.

If Oculus VR had announced less then 450$ and 2016Q4 it could even have been wireless, but for 2016Q1 and less 400$ that may be asking too much (in both prototyping delay and pricing).
    Nexus 6
    £350 I think will be the top end price too.

even taking into account taxes etc £350 equates to $550. given I only paid £275 for my DK2, I am hoping that £350 is the VERY top end.

I reckon if CV1 dropped at $550 inc taxes, there would be a lot of irate Americans out there.

ironically so long as we get a like for like price, I suspect us brits would tolerate that.

What would grind my gears would be if we got shafted like we do for most electrical goods where $1 equates to £1. Oculus have done well by us so far however, so hopefully that continues.

I think it is more likely the yanks will get theirs for $350... and we still have to fork out £350....

Will you bother to wait and import?? at the risk of Import duty??

Naaa I didn't think so... I'll pre order and so will you :)
    Nexus 6
    RonsonPL wrote:
    The price will be low.
    Too low, actually, because it won't offer what it should offer to PC gamers who treat their hobby seriously, and won't offer what was promised "best VR we can do under 499$". Oculus went full-casual, full-mass market, full "cheap, cheap, CHEAP!" so if anyone should worry about the price, it should be people who worry about too cheap components and too low quality.

If Oculus is targetting the mass market, and Sony promised to subsidize Morpheus (+ the advantage of many people already owning PS4 or PS4 + Move controllers), then the price will be low. Really low. Unfortunately :(

Also the experiences will be limited... real limited.....

The PS4 doesn't have the processing capacity to run anything other than cut down versions of VR experiences DK2 owners have already seen...

Hell the PS4 has to lock GTA V down to 30fps for christ sake.... I can run it with my 980 on the same settings ps4 has at way over 60fps.... I only need to turn down the settings on shadows and population density and grass to reach 90hz +

And the ps4 is going for interpolated 120hz... well to do that you need to first get to a stable 60hz.... so there are going to have to be some compromises on the ps4...1. Limit the scope of the experience and 2. limit graphics quality

Simply put... VR for console will be Vr Lite....

If you want to REally VR you are going to need a decent Gaming PC....

That said it means that if you are a potential Rift customer.. you are more than likely already a PC gamer....
  • dekdodekdo Posts: 22
    Tim74UK wrote:
    RonsonPL wrote:
    The price will be low. Too low, actually, because it won't offer what it should offer to PC gamers who treat their hobby seriously, and won't offer what was promised "best VR we can do under 499$". Oculus went full-casual, full-mass market, full "cheap, cheap, CHEAP!" so if anyone should worry about the price, it should be people who worry about too cheap components and too low quality.

The PS4 doesn't have the processing capacity to run anything other than cut down versions of VR experiences DK2 owners have already seen... Hell the PS4 has to lock GTA V down to 30fps for christ sake.... I can run it with my 980 on the same settings ps4 has at way over 60fps.... I only need to turn down the settings on shadows and population density and grass to reach 90hz +

And the ps4 is going for interpolated 120hz... well to do that you need to first get to a stable 60hz.... so there are going to have to be some compromises on the ps4...1. Limit the scope of the experience and 2. limit graphics quality

If you want to REally VR you are going to need a decent Gaming PC....
    That said it means that if you are a potential Rift customer.. you are more than likely already a PC gamer....

Oculus can always create different spec'd models...
    Its not like Apple offers just one macbook.. Apple caters to various markets, oculus will probably do the same.

I am excited for VR on the ps4, but you do make some good points.. it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Brain Burst
    Tim74UK wrote:

Then what does that make the Gear VR?
    Tim74UK wrote:

Not me. I'm just a VR enthusiast and casual gamer who has to get his hands on each platform. So I'll be buying a PC once Oculus or Vive drop. But I'm not already a PC gamer. I have a couple friends who are in the same position as myself.
  • WmackyWmacky Posts: 118
    Art3mis
    Same hear. No gaming interest. Big VR fan!
    Nexus 6
    Tim74UK wrote:

Tim74UK wrote:

Not me. I'm just a VR enthusiast and casual gamer who has to get his hands on each platform. So I'll be buying a PC once Oculus or Vive drop. But I'm not already a PC gamer. I have a couple friends who are in the same position as myself.

Gear VR is even lighter than Console.... why is it such a shock or question??

And there are of course those who are VR enthusiasts who will go out and spend £2000 right of the bat.... But enthusiasts are limited....

Valve's strategy is to try and sell to the rest of the non pc owning market a Steam machine... a console like pc... but again to get the spec required you are looking at 2k+

That makes the PC end of the market the HIGH end of the market and at the other end is GearVR... Consoles in the midle of the market.. in terms of price....

In terms of experience.... PC's are at the top of the market.... Mobile at the bottom of the market and consoles about a third of the way up from mobile...

even cloud based processing can't deliver extra grunt to consoles fast enough.... sure they may be able to offload AI or physics processing but the latency would be way to high to off site render the games...

So if you are a console gamer... sorry you will have to put up with a cut down experience.... Either get used to it or upgrade...
    Tim74UK wrote:

I think it is more likely the yanks will get theirs for $350... and we still have to fork out £350....

Will you bother to wait and import?? at the risk of Import duty??

Naaa I didn't think so... I'll pre order and so will you :)

Yeah you may be right... I hope not, but you may be!.

I am sick of having to pay £1 for $1 over here!. I wouldnt mind but its not like we get better salaries to cover our high costs of living. Every time I go to the states with work I am amazed at how cheap everything is.

but anyways I digress.... As for whether i will pre-order or not.... I dunno. It may depend on warranty issues. My work are constantly wanting people in my group to go to the States to give presentations and attend conferences. IF I could pick up a cheap CV1 when I am out there, who would I be to argue? ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Tim74UK wrote:

The PS4 doesn't have the processing capacity to run anything other than cut down versions of VR experiences DK2 owners have already seen...

Hell the PS4 has to lock GTA V down to 30fps for christ sake.... I can run it with my 980 on the same settings ps4 has at way over 60fps.... I only need to turn down the settings on shadows and population density and grass to reach 90hz +

I think you underestimate the PS4 for delivering fun and entertaining VR, the current Morpheus/PS4 demo's are a good example.. Yes the graphics will be limited, but so will it on most people's PC.. You'll need a graphics-card which is at least the price of a PS4 to have great PC-VR..
    And let's not forget, once the Morpheus is out, you can expect a lot of developers trying to make it run on the PC (all development for the Morpheus or PS4 is done on a PC anyway)..

And that's something people seem to forget with the Oculus, you'll really need a hefty PC to drive it with great graphics, and most people don't have that and still gonna buy the Oculus, only to be disappointed by the framedrops/low resolution because their PC isn't up for it (and so blame Oculus for the bad experience)... that's just how people are...
    Nexus 6
    Tim74UK wrote:

but anyways I digress.... As for whether i will pre-order or not.... I dunno. It may depend on warranty issues. My work are constantly wanting people in my group to go to the States to give presentations and attend conferences. IF I could pick up a cheap CV1 when I am out there, who would I be to argue? ;)

Quite :)

I highly doubt there will be a region lock of some kind, so if you are over there anyway then why not?

And I agree £1 is not $1 and the prices should reflect the actual value not the same numerical value.
    Tim74UK wrote:
    And I agree £1 is not $1 and the prices should reflect the actual value not the same numerical value.
    Well you shouldn't forget the dollar price is without VAT, and the pound price is including VAT, also you have to take into account for the shipping costs and importduties (the device is not made in the UK or shipped from)..
    It's still not the same if you factor in all these extra costs, but it comes very close..
    Nexus 6
    SuperDre wrote:
    Tim74UK wrote:
    Well you shouldn't forget the dollar price is without VAT, and the pound price is including VAT, also you have to take into account for the shipping costs and importduties (the device is not made in the UK or shipped from)..
    It's still not the same if you factor in all these extra costs, but it comes very close..

Nice try but Oculus has a UK warehouse... and £350 dollar is currently £223.52... are you saying you pay an additional £126.48 in tax on $350??

Nope I didn't think so....
  • RuudscornerRuudscorner Posts: 442
    Art3mis
    Tim74UK wrote:
    SuperDre wrote:
    Tim74UK wrote:

Nice try but Oculus has a UK warehouse... and £350 dollar is currently £223.52... are you saying you pay an additional £126.48 in tax on $350??

Nope I didn't think so....
    Are you saying that 56.6% vat is too much? 8-)
  • pedrwpedrw Posts: 760
    Trinity
    Tim74UK wrote:
    Are you saying that 56.6% vat is too much? 8-)

Yes, very expensive!
    In DK2, I paid nearly 500 euros, including taxes...
    Brain Burst
    Tim74UK wrote:
    Tim74UK wrote:

Gear VR is even lighter than Console.... why is it such a shock or question??

Don't see how that's a shocking question. I'm simply curious to know how you would categorize all three experiences, because personally when I tell friends about Gear VR it's usually along the lines of it being "Vr Lite". It doesn't have positional tracking and the graphics are very simplistic, and no sort of tracking input. The PS4 has positional tracking, much better graphics (the kind console gamers are used to), and it has motion tracking input. Therefore I would actually say that the PS4 has a very high chance of being what the majority of the general public will view as "Standard VR" because so many households game on consoles. The high end PC gamers who put 2 to 3 grand into a PC to play Oculus and Vive games will potentially just be regarded as "High end VR" and be even more niche. So, in summary, I expect to see:

1. Lite VR- Gear VR, cardboard, etc.
    2. Standard VR- Morpheus, whatever Xbox and Nintendo come out with. It's what moms and dads, your sister or brother, or friends at work will see as VR.
    3. High end VR - Oculus and Vive
    Tim74UK wrote:
    And there are of course those who are VR enthusiasts who will go out and spend £2000 right of the bat.... But enthusiasts are limited....

I think that raises an interesting question though. What is a VR enthusiast? Is it really a niche thing? Because, while I consider myself an enthusiast, I only say that because right now VR isn't mainstream. I'm not someone who followed VR for decades. I simply tried a DK1 once at a friend's house and was sold. Now I've been hotly anticipating VR ever since then. So I'm curious how many others like me, who aren't PC gamers, who haven't followed VR forever, will simply try VR once it's commercially available and just be sold.
    Tim74UK wrote:
    So if you are a console gamer... sorry you will have to put up with a cut down experience.... Either get used to it or upgrade...

I would be more inclined to agree with you if the majority of Morpheus hands-on reviews so far weren't so shockingly positive.
    I do not doubt that a console is going to have to make some compromises to eye candy..... but that being said, with its stable, consistent hardware and generally more efficient OS consoles punch above their weight compared to a PC.

furthermore consoles may lack a bit of grunt.... but they are WAY more powerful than a mobile phone and yet people seem to be having fun out of the many mobile platforms out there.

So yes, on 1 hand I agree, PC will be the place to be for the top end VR, but I disagree that there will not be some really cool experiences on the console VR as well................

also, I have to hand it to sony. their morpheus to me looks to beat the rift hands down when it comes to a novel head mounting system.
    Brain Burst
    I do not doubt that a console is going to have to make some compromises to eye candy..... but that being said, with its stable, consistent hardware and generally more efficient OS consoles punch above their weight compared to a PC.

furthermore consoles may lack a bit of grunt.... but they are WAY more powerful than a mobile phone and yet people seem to be having fun out of the many mobile platforms out there.

So yes, on 1 hand I agree, PC will be the place to be for the top end VR, but I disagree that there will not be some really cool experiences on the console VR as well................

also, I have to hand it to sony. their morpheus to me looks to beat the rift hands down when it comes to a novel head mounting system.

I agree on all points bigmike, and the only thing I'll add is that, as someone who plans on getting all three platforms, my wallet is going to be hurting! But this is such a great problem to have and one that had I been asked 4 years ago about it I never would have thought possible. I plan on having my VR cave for Oculus/vive (already got the guest bedroom cleared out), the living room for Morpheus, and the bedroom for Gear VR.
  • pedrwpedrw Posts: 760
    Trinity
    I plan to buy Gear vr to consumers, to entertain me until the arrival of Rift. Gear vr is a good option to carry and use anywhere, while the Rift can only be used with the PC. So the ideal is to have both options. What about Vive ... only buy if it is better than the Rift, even if it is more expensive
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 976
    3Jane
    Gypsy816 wrote:

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

– The Oculus Team

It's next week ;)
  • scottycamscottycam Posts: 152
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zandil wrote:
    Gypsy816 wrote:

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

– The Oculus Team

It's next week ;)

I know, I keep checking every half hour or so but they still have 2 days before it is the end of "next week". Looking at the posting times of all their blog posts I think we still got like 12 hours (give or take a few hours) before the next chance of the specs post.
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    Hehe, I'm a little surprised there hasn't been a lot more people wondering out loud where the update this week is. This community tends to hang on every word from Oculus and I was expected noise first thing Monday morning, but it's been quiet.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti