cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nausea thread - how do i get used to the rift?

slugger
Honored Guest
hey there,

i read a lot posts about getting vr-sick and nausea from using the rift but also nearly everyone mentioned that it's getting better every day. so ... not for me it seems ... and that's a shame. it also seems this topic isn't very popular even it's probably affecting a lot people.

im having my rift since 3 days now but unfortunatly i really can't use it for longer then a few mins (which makes developing for it pretty hard). even on day 3 after like 5mins of playing half life 2 (which is giving me the best experience so far) i can't use the rift for the rest of the day because im feeling pretty dizzy. i never tried pushing trough it because i know it would make things worse.

standing still and just looking around seems to be ok (more or less), but as soon as i start walking it's like im trying to read a book while sitting in the car (some ppl might understand what i mean).

for now it seems like im making little to no progress in getting my vr-legs. i also thought about buying pills against seasickness but taking pills to use the rift can't be the right way.

does anyone have an idea how to ease this kind of reaction to vr or is there anyone who also got dizzy very fast and can tell how long it took them to get their vr-legs?
176 REPLIES 176

jasonatokc
Honored Guest
I remember when I first started messing with VR back in the 90's getting sick. I have not had any issues with the rift You could try taking a benadryl? Some people just get vertigo and some get it less and some dont get it at all. :?

ftarnogol
Expert Protege
OP, I was about to facepalm when I saw the subject of your thread... luckily I was wrong.

Cheers to you

PS: where's the facepalm smiley?

drash
Heroic Explorer
Slugger, I don't know if this applies to you, but I had to basically close my eyes when turning my virtual body using the mouse (as in most FPS’s), and gradually eased into that after a few days or more. Same goes for walking/running using WASD (as in most FPS's). Maybe leave HL2 alone for a while, and focus on stuff that gives you a solid frame of reference (cockpits, vehicles, etc) with more natural acceleration rather than instant-on, instant-off.

Anyway, 3 days is nothing IMO. It'll take some time, and this early on, going 5 minutes of playing something intense before you get a sense of discomfort is normal, depending on what you're playing.

And finally, did you calibrate your IPD? If it's significantly off, apparently it can look OK when you're playing but really ramp up your motion sickness.

Good luck!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

michaelgood
Honored Guest
I'm having issues with HL2 too, and maybe it's the not-quite-right barrel distortion, or maybe it's the fact that the world of HL2 is a cruel, cruel world without much actual hope for anything.

I've played TF2, Outerra (flying around at hundreds of miles an hour) and many other games and not had serious issues.

I found in HL2 that if I closed my eyes and took some deep breaths that the nausea would go away and I could continue for a bit longer. Repeat etc until you 'win'? (do you ever really 'win' Half-Life 2?).

slugger
Honored Guest
well i got every demo i could find hoping that one of them is usable for more then a few minutes - none of them really was.
yes, i set my ipd for tuscany (latest version with profiles), tf2 and hl2. in hl2 everything looks ok for me and i think a wrong distortion or wrong ipd would cause dizzyness even while just looking around which is not my case.

as i mentioned before:
aslong im not moving, everything is "ok", as soon as i start walking around my brain and stomach go "wohohoo, not good".

today i'll try changing the cups and see if lowering the fov will have any effects.

i also like to mention this short article i found after searching for rift nausea:
http://www.incgamers.com/2013/05/natural-selection-2-devs-oculus-rift-first-impressions-its-nausea-t...

Ganjaroach
Explorer
marijuana is a great cure for nausea! Have not tested in the rift because I have not received mine yet but worth a shot if you have access to it or live in a state that it is legal. 😄

slugger
Honored Guest
good idea... i'll try mixing it with acid to get rid of the screendoor effect aswell.

pls stay on topic.

geekmaster
Protege
Not turning with a controller helps a lot. Using an ODT like the Virtuix Omni can help keep your visual and vestibular senses from conflicting and causing nausea. When turning with a controller, it helps to close your eyes.

"ftarnogol" wrote:
PS: where's the facepalm smiley?

KBK
Protege
They never mentioned their particular control scheme that is in use. This may be partially due to keyboard vs xbox vs mouse controls.

which is in use and what should be tried.

Then the various methods of ameliorating the situation, like head position when initiating and then following through in a movement.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?