cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

code43 windows will not recognize USB device

jrbm
Honored Guest
I had a troublesome install of the new oculus rift. I got it up and running in the end but took me two days to figure out what works for me, other solutions maybe be better so if anyone has some useful tips, please share.

I connected the device as instructed.

First thing I get is a message that told me windows failed to recognise the device.

I checked the device status and it said "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I then tried another USB cable. that didn't help.

I tried another available USB port. That also did not help.

Then I unplugged my Hydra controller and plugged the rift in to that USB port.
Then yes the rift tracking started working and I was finally able to enjoy some stuff, like the riftrollercoaster and tuscany demo.

Later, after i restarted the PC, windows failed to recognize the rift again. Switching USB ports like a madman had no effect.

So I reinstalled Windows7 64bit with the rift attached. Sadly even a clean windows7 installation fails to recognise my rift, giving me a code43 right from the first startup.

Then I reinstalled windows again using the win7 32bit version this time and not having the rift plugged in during the installation.
I plugged the rift USB in to my PC, having this clean installation of windows7, and keeping my eye on the list of devices as I plugged it in.
There for a tiny moment windows recognized something. I saw what i think read like "trackir" on the list, and then it was gone. Next second windows reported the usual Device not recognized "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Ok so I reinstalled windows7 32bit and downloaded and installed something called TrackIR_5.2.2.Final.
That installation also installed a USB driver of sorts. Might have nothing to do with the Oculus rift, but I'll always try anything and everything when I'm troubleshooting. Then I connected the rift again and this time there was no message saying device not recognised. It just worked right away.

So full of hope I restarted the PC only to find that it gave me a familiar but not so friendly: device not recognised message on startup.

Ok I reinstalled windows7 32bit, TrackIR_5.2.2.Final, and plugged in my rift.
Once again it functioned beautifully, worked with tracking and everything.
So this time I unplugged the rift's USB from the oculus box before restarting my pc.

When windows was up and running again, I connected the USB to the oculus box and turned on the rift. And now it worked. No more Code43.

So today I'm running the rift and hydra side by side, on my windows7 64 bit. Big sigh of relief!

What I have to do, is when I start the computer, I have to make sure I wait before connecting the rift to the USB 'till after Windows has finished scanning the USB devices and loading their drivers.
This way the rift now is working just fine.

However if my windows get to scan for USB devices at startup and discovers the rift it will still give me a Code43. Yes I have checked twice.

But I'm very pleased with the rift, what I've seen in demos and games so far has impressed me greatly.. 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

Sanguis
Honored Guest
I have not looked for a error code, but my PC also needs some specific procedure to accept the rift:

1: Start PC.
2: Switch on Rift.
3: Plug USB out and in.

Then it works fine for me.

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's very strange. Thanks for taking the time to post this.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

strangedays
Honored Guest
Thought I would post this here since it took me all day to figure it out.

I was getting the "device has malfunctioned" "error 34" message.

I fixed it by plugging it into my laptop that I know doesn't have any troubles, checking that it was working and then plugging it back into my main computer again.

urbankind
Honored Guest
I am facing similar problem. It worked fine when tested first and couple of time in following days but not anymore. I tried with the same PC but it just simply doesn't get detected. Windows says "USB device is not recognized" all the workaround mentioned in the forum is not working either. Config unity doesn't detect the device too. Please someone help to resolve this....

Thanks

cybereality
Grand Champion
We had someone with this same exact problem and then plugged the Rift into a USB hub and it worked.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV