cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2160×1200 Everyone is fine with that?

sarfios
Honored Guest
Hey folks,

Is everyone fine with the final resolution of 2160x1200? I've heard a lot of blahblah, how resolution is not everything in VR, but as owning DK2 right now and having 1920x1080

These 90 hz are the biggest improvement? worth to even consider getting it?

I know a lot of people will start saying how shallow I should be for care for that only but... really not even 1440p? We've waited 3 years for almost for that?

It's clear that in order to adopt the VR from the masses and become a thing in the future it should be more accessible and stuff... but ffs we had 1440p from a mobile PHONE VR back in 2014, but in 2016 we will get less than 1440p for DESKTOP?

WAW

I guess VR won't be ready in the next 2-3 years, when 10/14nm CPU/GPU start popping up and having 4/5k phone displays available.
382 REPLIES 382

snappahead
Expert Protege
The amount of bitching and complaining about the resolution has been of epic proportions, so no...people aren't ok with it. I personally don't think it's the end of the world and will hold judgment until I've actually tried it. The only thing I'm really concerned about at this point is the software.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

We have E3 coming up very soon.

If the Rift is shown there and people tell us there is no screen door and the picture is clear, i'll be happy.

Better to wait until people have tried it out.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

sarfios
Honored Guest
Hey, as you can see my post count amount, I don't follow the forum that much...

But hey, what made me worry way more than the resolution itself is that when they've been mentioning the spec requirements they'll be fixed for the lifetime of oculus or something.

Wait what? We've been stuck with that version and requirements for many more years?

When Facebook adopted Oculus Rift everyone was whining and I was thinking it can't be that bad... now I realize they're preparing it prioritizing it for more social experience, than game/entertainment.

Funny, but HTC Vive looks way more media/game dedicated. And HoloLens with their AR is way, way more suitable for social/business purposes.

It's just sad how Oculus is left behind even before that start, but for waiting for soooo long, they didn't do anything impressive with the huge start lead. They had community, they had the name... they had the time. And now 1200p for 2106 in long term version?

Still I am grateful to Palmer for bringing VR to the world and make all big fishes join the market.

I'm start to think that he is some mastermind, who wanted to create VR destroy himself as completion and let the other grow and develop. :lol:

Anyway, if Oculus is not 1440p, too bad but won't be the right candy in the box for me. I don't see the upgrade from DK2 necessary. And I'm sure a lot of people think like me.

Calanar
Honored Guest
Vive is currently the same resolution spec BTW. Just saying.
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

"The lifetime of Oculus (Rift)".

But how long will that be? People in to tech change their mobile phone every 1 or 2 years - they cost twice as much as the Rift will (probably).

Gamers change their graphics card every 2 years (?). Again, same price as the Rift will cost?

We'll probably see a new version of the Rift after 2 or 3 years.

And remember, the minimum recommended GPU for the Rift is a GTX 970 - that's no weak card, and it isn't cheap - at the beginning of this whole thing Palmer Luckey said it was for the masses.

And as somebody else has said - all the other companies will be very similar.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

snappahead
Expert Protege
The uproar when the specs were shown was hard to miss and I've always recommended to everyone that they should wait before bringing out the "end is near" signs. Content is all that really matters and every review or hands on impression I've seen of Crescent Bay has been positive. I don't see any reason to get pessimistic at this point. I think Oculus is doing fine and hopefully we'll see a good bit of their hand (hardware and software) in the coming weeks.

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
We had the discussion about this in many threads, in which the discussion de-railed into something about res and gaming vs. social/casual approach Oculus obiously switched to:

main thread:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23352

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21149
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23512

You'll see some pattern here:
- our "camp" (people who wanted Rift to be high quality gaming hardware) repeats the same arguments across many threads, unfortunately spreading the offtopic.
- the opposite camp generalizing and being quick to use word such "bitching", "whining" etc. There's also a tendency to scroll through opponent's arguments just to ask for them again the next day... and then scroll through them once more 😉

The second one is in majority here, since most devs here are more interested in money and good sales of their mobile/PS4/crappy PC VR than the good of gaming and good of PC VR gaming.

There was no consensus and I guess there won't be.

So, if you don't consider CV1 res adequate for year 2016, you don't like the change of direction:
"You are infantile and naive idiot, who knows nothing about how business works. Gaming is not important, Oculus always knows best and always says the truth, of course always doing everything what's best for VR, because they said so".
You'd read it eventually at some point, so I spared you the time. 😉

Don't waste your time, we gamers already lost this battle. It's over. World will get the VR that was possible for 2016, but with a 2-10 year delay. 😞
Vive won't be much better either. 1000x1000 res per eye will shape the games design, their gameplay, their genres, their locations and many other things. And Oculus won't keep their words about progressing as quickly as possible because of ever evolving PC hardware, judging from their "won't change in the Rift's lifetime" statement
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

sarfios
Honored Guest
Depends GTX 970 will be completely smashed once 14nm GPU appears on the market. The thing is manufactures skip an entire node. So instead from going to the classic 28/20/14-16nm/ They're going from 28nm to 14/16. Which will result in drastic performance boost. Combined with DX12 and the new GPU architectures. Cards like GTX 970 will be left behind.

In short, I'm confident that somewhere in 2016 games can run at 90fps at 4k with a card in the range of $350-450 and of course we've heard million of times that the resolution of the display doesn't means it has to be rendered at the same resolution.

As @andyring said, there most likely will be no new version of Oculus Rift in 2-3 years, while Samsung as everyone knows have the ambition to produce 4k phone 2015, not 2016. So... in short words. We will receive outdated VR headset that we have to stuck till 2018-2019? When there will be everything needed to have a 4k VR experience in 2016? That doesn't seems right, after we've been so patient for these few years.

@Calanar HTC Vive is the same resolution compared to the developer kit, what about consumer? Also they will release it before the rift.

For me it's crazy to pick Oculus Rift with that resolution and expect no improvement till 2018-2019... Will stuck with DK2 until 2018 and then get the "new generation" or something. Right now it's just funny.

snappahead
Expert Protege
Ronson, please don't pretend to speak for anyone but yourself. You don't represent all gamers. You certainly don't speak for me and I'm a gamer. Not everyone who disagrees with you is wrong or on the "wrong" side of this. Just because I choose to keep an open mind, doesn't mean I'm giving anyone a free pass. If it's crap, I'll say it's crap, but I won't make that assessment before seeing it for myself. I'd recommend you do the same.