Oculus working on the holodeck? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus working on the holodeck?

saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
NerveGear
edited May 2015 in General
Saw this in a USAToday article:
Among the company's other efforts, Oculus is working on a "holodeck."

Would anyone care to elaborate? :o

Comments

• andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 971
    Art3mis
    I wonder if Cyber would tell us :)
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    My guess would be that it was just the writers way of describing VR to a casual.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • scottycamscottycam Posts: 152
    Hiro Protagonist
    The media seems to be doing it's usual crap and altering information or simply using it out of context to make their "news" sound better.

The latest "re/code" interview with Iribe says that the rift as a full package cost (including pc) will be $1500 but the media took this and has posted everywhere that the rift will cost $1500.

The holodeck remark was an answer to the question asked if they were making a holodeck, Iribe said how they want VR to get to that stage someday and they are working towards that goal. Oculus never said anything about actually making or working on a holodeck but that too seems to be posted quite a bit in the news.

Among other things, I'd say it's best to watch the actual interview rather then read anything the media has posted.
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Oculus did say that the CV1 would allow standing experiences. Maybe that has something to do with it?
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,546 Valuable Player
    There have been rumors for some time since the presentation of the famous 'Valve VR Room' that OVR had a similar demonstrator they wowed accounts with. To take this to its logical next step a "holodeck" approach would be a fun idea (door open step inside door closes).

Though by all rights the true "holodeck" would be an unencumbered environment and so would be more like a CAVE.

v300inaction.jpg
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959