cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus & USC working on facial tracking

kernow
Heroic Explorer
Camera for the lower face. Tension sensors on the Rift for the upper face.

I don't think the way the camera is mounted in these tests would fly for consumers, but if this ever made it into a consumer version, I am guessing they wouldn't still be using that method.

[Oculus] teams with researchers to transfer your smiles and frowns into virtual reality
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/53 ... ur-avatar/

Also, your own face on your avatar automatically.
5 REPLIES 5

saviornt
Protege
Li says that the Oculus researchers worked with him purely as a research exercise
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

kernow
Heroic Explorer
"saviornt" wrote:
Li says that the Oculus researchers worked with him purely as a research exercise

Thus my use of the word "tests" and the use of the subjunctive mood.

yazze
Honored Guest
"kernow" wrote:
Camera for the lower face. Tension sensors on the Rift for the upper face.

I don't think the way the camera is mounted in these tests would fly for consumers, but if this ever made it into a consumer version, I am guessing they wouldn't still be using that method.

[Oculus] teams with researchers to transfer your smiles and frowns into virtual reality
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/53 ... ur-avatar/

Also, your own face on your avatar automatically.

So we don't have hand motion and full body tracking yet, but Facebook already wants to invade user privacy and identity with Oculus...hum....

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
Is this news by Captain Obvious or what? 😉
Oculus works on something important for social VR, after being acquired by the biggest social company in the world.
How surprising! 😉
It won't have any importance for gaming VR, besides the situations of playing online, which I won't ever use if using the HMD online will require me to use Facebook account. They (FB) ask for real personal data for that now! I won't ever give it to them.
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

kernow
Heroic Explorer
"RonsonPL" wrote:
It won't have any importance for gaming VR, besides the situations of playing online, which I won't ever use if using the HMD online will require me to use Facebook account.

Would be useful for social VR (RiftMax, VRChat, etc).

I could also think of some uses for this in RPGs (which is of interest to me as that is what I am working on). One of the things I am trying to do is improving interactions with NPCs.