How to play 180° 3D video — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How to play 180° 3D video

Mousmous63Mousmous63 Posts: 28
edited December 2015 in Samsung Gear VR
Hi, i'm dicovering my Gear Vr, and i'd like to know how to play a 180° 3D video?
For 360° it's ok, with TB or LR if in 3D.

But for 180°... (i have tried with 3D file, but maybe the same problem without 3D, but i don't think so, because the screen should be cut)
If the video is Top-Bottom, no problem, but if it's Left Right, it automatically zoom.

I use Oculus 360 Video, because in france, we don't have Milk VR.
But tonight i will try ton install it with Hola.

So if you could help me, it would be awesome.
Thanks.

Comments

  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    In MIlk VR you can watch them by adding
    "180x180_3dv" for Top bottom stereoscopic 3D 180° and "180x180_3dh" for Left right stereoscopic 3D 180° to the file name.

    And dont use Hola as it apparently can not be trusted.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/com ... e_company/
  • arno1970arno1970 Posts: 6
    Mousmous63 wrote:

    I use Oculus 360 Video, because in france, we don't have Milk VR.
    But tonight i will try ton install it with Hola.

    So if you could help me, it would be awesome.
    Thanks.

    I use Vypr VPN (payed service) to download en use milk vr. Works perfect (also for netflix). (from www.goldenfrog.com)
  • Mousmous63Mousmous63 Posts: 28
    HomerS66 wrote:
    In MIlk VR you can watch them by adding
    "180x180_3dv" for Top bottom stereoscopic 3D 180° and "180x180_3dh" for Left right stereoscopic 3D 180° to the file name.

    And dont use Hola as it apparently can not be trusted.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/com ... e_company/


    Thanks a lot, and i'v seen with Milk Vr you can move forward in your video...

    And no way with Oculus app?


    For VyprVPN what kind of subscription do you have?
    The first one works good? (8 euros / month)
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    Yes fastforwarding/rewinding works only in Milk VR for now. To download Milk VR you need VPN but only 1 time, so not sure if you really need a subscription, as you can start Milk VR also when you are in airplane mode or when you need wifi, you can start it from the phone oculus app and then insert the phone into Gear VR and it will then work aswell.
  • GehgaGehga Posts: 12
    I have a video that is 180 degrees side by side, and I dont know how to play it properly in the oculus 360 cinema. I tried naming 3dh, and FileName_180x180_3dh and it doesnt work. Its 1080p resolution.
  • UdoGUdoG Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    Mousmous63 wrote:
    HomerS66 wrote:
    In MIlk VR you can watch them by adding
    "180x180_3dv" for Top bottom stereoscopic 3D 180° and "180x180_3dh" for Left right stereoscopic 3D 180° to the file name.

    And dont use Hola as it apparently can not be trusted.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/com ... e_company/


    Thanks a lot, and i'v seen with Milk Vr you can move forward in your video...

    And no way with Oculus app?


    For VyprVPN what kind of subscription do you have?
    The first one works good? (8 euros / month)

    In which way did you found the milk VR app? I installed VyprVPN, changed the location to USA (I'm living in Germany) and then searched in play store - no milk VR found. Where can I find the APK - maybe I can install the app manually.

    Thanks for your assistance.
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    UdoG wrote:
    Mousmous63 wrote:
    HomerS66 wrote:
    In MIlk VR you can watch them by adding
    "180x180_3dv" for Top bottom stereoscopic 3D 180° and "180x180_3dh" for Left right stereoscopic 3D 180° to the file name.

    And dont use Hola as it apparently can not be trusted.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/com ... e_company/


    Thanks a lot, and i'v seen with Milk Vr you can move forward in your video...

    And no way with Oculus app?


    For VyprVPN what kind of subscription do you have?
    The first one works good? (8 euros / month)

    In which way did you found the milk VR app? I installed VyprVPN, changed the location to USA (I'm living in Germany) and then searched in play store - no milk VR found. Where can I find the APK - maybe I can install the app manually.

    Thanks for your assistance.

    The app is not in the Play Store but in the Gear VR store.
  • I recently joined an Adult site (VRP), and downloaded some 180° mp4 videos. The 1920x1080 format looks good on the S6, but not great. I decided to try their Oculus format: 3000x1500, 50fps, 30mbps. These videos look incredible! I'm using the AAA VR Cinema player. Ultrasmooth playback and panning.
  • I had the same problem - I could only playback 3dv (vertically stacked) 3D videos.

    I managed to convert SBS videos using ffmpeg (and I posted how I did this, see http://video.stackexchange.com/questions/17131/convert-horizontal-side-by-side-to-vertically-stacked-3d-video)
    I also had to add a textfile named video_3dv.txt containing
    {
    "format": "3DTB"
    }
    

    But I still have a problem: the resulting video is being played in 360 degree mode but the video only contains 180 degree data.
    Is there a way to add meta data for the oculus video player to play it in 180 degree mode?
    I already tried naming it video_180x180_3dv.mp4 but this has no effect.
  • scottsquiresscottsquires Posts: 331
    NerveGear
    If you're using MilkVR you should be able to view 180 videos using 180x180 in the name.
    Add 3dv or 3dh for stereo. Oculus 360 video app will not play 180 videos correctly as far as I know.
  • For those of you who don't want to or are not able to install MilkVR - I found a way to convert Oculus Rift style left-right aligned 3D videos into the bottom-top-aligned 3dv format the Gear VR supports.

    Basically you crop and stack the left and right picture of your video and apply some padding to get the right format and add the <video file name>.txt with meta information.

    Because the ffmpeg call is quite complicated I wrote a script which does everything:

    https://github.com/frans-fuerst/magic/raw/master/LR2TB.py

    You need a recent version of ffmpeg (https://ffmpeg.org/download.html)

    Call the script like this:
    LR2BT.py Video.mp4
    

    If you have downloaded a copy of ffmpeg call it like this to point to the right executable:
    LR2BT.py --ffmpeg=path/to/ffmpeg Video.mp4
    

    The result will be two files: Video_3dv.mp4 and Video_3dv.txt.

    Should work with Windows, too. You need Python (2/3) and ffmpeg (see link) - haven't tried.
  • First You have to make directory movies/3D movies then paste your 3D movies here.
    Each 3D movies unto add "same name.txt" file witch contain that text :

    {

    "format": "3DTB"

    }

    You can watch your 3D movies in Cinema mode on the Moon :)!!!



  • "_TB" for top/bottom

    "_BT" for bottom/top

    "_LR" for left/right

    "_RL" for right/left


  • AeonPhoenixAeonPhoenix Posts: 2
    NerveGear

    GearVR video Quick Guide:
    Make some new folders in your video folder. 360Videos and 180Videos. Put your video in it's respective folder. (360 degree videos in the 360Videos folder and 180 degree videos in the 180Videos folder)
    If the video is 3D simply add to the end of the filename either "_TB" if its top and bottom format or "_LR" if its left and right format. (Ex. "Filename_TB.mp4" or "Filename_LR.mp4")
  • MainFraggerMainFragger Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    If you can find it,. I highly recommend VAR's VR Player Pro   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.VaRs.VRPlayerPRO  It gives you all sorts of options for playing different video formats.  Including 180 Degree side-by-side.  It even lets you play standard videos as if they were 3D.  Aaand they give you the option of setting wether you want to watch videos statically (fixed eye position) or floating (head tracking on the video) for all video formats.  So far, its pretty stable.  It IS adware, but you really only see the ads when backing out of videos play mode.  As long as you watch videos through, no ads, and as long as you next or backward to a video no ads..
  • thiskiwicanflythiskiwicanfly Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited June 11
    HomerS66 said:
    In MIlk VR you can watch them by adding
    "180x180_3dv" for Top bottom stereoscopic 3D 180° and "180x180_3dh" for Left right stereoscopic 3D 180° to the file name.

    And dont use Hola as it apparently can not be trusted.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/com ... e_company/

     Is there a metadata tag that can be used instead of needing to concatenate filenames with this tag information?
Sign In or Register to comment.