cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BouncerVR, no nausea, no controls, just fun!

FVANtom
Honored Guest
Hi everyone!

My name is Tom. I've created an Oculus ready playable demo called 'BouncerVR'. I'm currently trying to collect money via a crowd funding project to turn this demo into a fun game. Let me know what you think!
http://igg.me/at/BouncerVR/x/1645789

BouncerVR is a virtual reality arcade game for PC, Mac, Linux and Oculus Rift. The game is a tribute to games of the past. Simple to play, yet engaging and challenging. In the game, you control a shield with only your vision. With this shield you bounce a ball towards the enemy. You score a point when the enemy is unable to bounce back the ball.

You can collect various power-ups to help you reach your goal. Some power-ups speed up or resize the ball, while others change the gameplay dramatically. Play through various levels and unlock new types of power-ups in the process.

While this game is made from the ground up for the Oculus Rift virtual reality glasses, it can also be played without them by using your mouse. Playing the game in VR gives you the advantage of depth perception thus you can see the ball and power-ups coming towards you and guess their distance and speed.

I am one of those people who becomes motion sick very quickly while using the Rift. With this project I succeeded in creating a game that doesn't have this effect on me. I think this is mainly because you don't move around in the virtual world.

The game uses only your head movement as input controls. No need to fumble around with gamepads or mouse and keyboard. Just put on the rift and play.
36 REPLIES 36

erictrose
Honored Guest
The game looks great! I just got my rift dev kit yesterday and the nausea is setting in

PiperAlpha
Honored Guest
Well done Tom. Nicely presented.
PiperAlpha- Order #: 507** - Location: UK East Yorkshire - Status: PROCESSING since July 24th, 2013 Patiently waiting and creating my desktop folder of all things Oculus

FVANtom
Honored Guest
"erictrose" wrote:
The game looks great! I just got my rift dev kit yesterday and the nausea is setting in

Yeah it was the same for me. When I first got the Rift, my brother made me jump off his Minecraft house and showed me all his buildings and stuff for 2 hours. I was nauseous for the rest of the day after that...

During the development of BouncerVR I didn't even become nauseous a single time.

I've also started a Thunderclap message. I need 100 people who support the message so the system sends it out. It's free and takes less than a minute to support. http://thndr.it/12m9mDS

Please share the project with your friends. It's very hard to get exposure as a small developer. Every small mention on Facebook, Twitter or forum/blog helps a lot.

wildermuthn
Honored Guest
Looks awesome. My rift comes Friday, and this will be one of the first I load up. I get motion sickness quickly. Keep these kind of games coming!

sven
Protege
Looks interesting. If you want to port this game over to Android phones, try to get a free dev unit of the OpenDive HMD.

mrgreen72
Superstar
It's pretty cool! I've pledged! 🙂

Couldn't figure out how to use the powerups though.

edulinares
Honored Guest
Cool game, looks a lot like Proton Pulse, but with competitive gameplay. I like it 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
This was cool.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

FVANtom
Honored Guest
Tnx for the positive feedback everyone. I've also started a google moderator project to get input and ideas from the community.

You can help define the features of the game at http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=20c345