cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No clone option with Intel and Nvidia graphics [SOLVED]

sftrabbit
Honored Guest
Just bought a new laptop (Asus N56V) and I'm not having much luck setting the Rift up. The results from DxDiag, USBTreeView and UsbDeview are attached.

I have a feeling the fact that I have both Intel and Nvidia graphics might be screwing things up. Not sure why that would affect the head tracking though.

Symptoms:
    No clone option in the screen resolution settings (just extend, 1 only, and 2 only)
    Tuscany: Rift doesn't appear to be detected at all (no display, no head tracking)
    Tuscany: Can't even control Tuscany with mouse and keyboard - cursor simply moves around on top. Edit: Actually, the space bar does show the floating settings panel, but that's the only one that does anything.

Side note: I do have a Logitech mouse, but didn't install any Logitech drivers, as far as I know. Tried using the Rift with mouse unplugged. Can't find LCore.exe process at all.

Thanks.

Solved: Solution here
15 REPLIES 15

jherico
Adventurer
It seems unlikely, but if your laptop and Rift don't have any display resolutions in common, that might prevent the option to clone the displays. Another possible issue is if Windows is having trouble reading the EDID values off the Rift. When you select 'extend' monitor, what options does it give you for the resolution of the Rift?
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action

sftrabbit
Honored Guest
"jherico" wrote:
It seems unlikely, but if your laptop and Rift don't have any display resolutions in common, that might prevent the option to clone the displays. Another possible issue is if Windows is having trouble reading the EDID values off the Rift. When you select 'extend' monitor, what options does it give you for the resolution of the Rift?

When I set it to extend, the resolution select boxes for both displays are disabled. Whatever I set my laptop display resolution to before changing to "extend", the "Rift DK" display basically shows the same one (but disabled). 1280x800 is one of the options for my laptop display, however.

Edit: Ah, some good news! The head tracking and input is now working, but I have no idea why. The only thing I've done since then is updated my graphics drivers. I still can't clone my display.

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you run the Rift in 1920x1080 mode, does that help?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

sftrabbit
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
If you run the Rift in 1920x1080 mode, does that help?

If I set it to extend and put Rift DK at 1920x1080, nothing displays on the Rift when I run Tuscany. In the same case, but instead when I run the RiftCoaster demo, the Rift displays that it has changed to 1280x720 and it plays fine.

At the moment I'm getting around it by setting the Rift as the main display and then launching the demos and games. Unfortunately this means that the laptop display is not showing what the player is seeing.

sftrabbit
Honored Guest
Aha, I've figured out how to do it! So, for anybody else who is having the same problem with having both the Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia GT 630M graphics, here's the solution:

You need to configure the multiple monitors through the Nvidia control panel. It should show up somewhere in your system tray, or alternatively you can right click the desktop and choose "NVIDIA Control Panel". From here, go to "Set up multiple displays" item on the left, enable the Rift DK display, and then the image should show your two displays side by side. Right click on the left display in the image, and choose "Clone with > 2". Then you're done!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Thanks for following up on this.

Never knew you could right-click the displays in the Nvidia panel.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:

News to me as well, thanks strabbit! 😄
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

sftrabbit
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
Thanks for following up on this.

Yes, it's not the most discoverable of settings, and appears to be the only way to do it with this configuration (Windows and the Intel driver give no clone option at all).

LittleGuy
Honored Guest
"sftrabbit" wrote:
Aha, I've figured out how to do it! So, for anybody else who is having the same problem with having both the Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia GT 630M graphics, here's the solution:

You need to configure the multiple monitors through the Nvidia control panel. It should show up somewhere in your system tray, or alternatively you can right click the desktop and choose "NVIDIA Control Panel". From here, go to "Set up multiple displays" item on the left, enable the Rift DK display, and then the image should show your two displays side by side. Right click on the left display in the image, and choose "Clone with > 2". Then you're done!

Nice one! I just got my Rift yesterday and it's incredibly frustrating to not have a clone mode on my GTX 690, Arghhhhh!!! Anyway, it looks like this solution will be the answer, so i'll most definitely try this when I get home, thanks for the information!

Incidentally, this web site shows you how, including screenshots. Perhaps helpful for some! 😄

http://www.binarywave.com/blogs/eshupps/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=273
Mike