New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quantum Dot screens

RiftXdevRiftXdev Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
edited June 2015 in General
The future of VR right here. Saw an article for 'screen tatoos' where the science jorno was harping on about some 'new' screen tech using Quantum Dots.

Reportedly the tech allows 'screens' to be produced on micro thin, flexbible materials that could be worn or even printed onto skin as an electronic tatoo.

Naturally my first thought went to VR screens (and shortly after that so some sort of wearable Predator camouflage...)

It said something along the lines of 2500 pixels in an inch of display (that's an edge measurement, not an inch square area)

Here's an Nature.com abstract
http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v5/n3/full/nphoton.2011.12.html

Here's a simple version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot_display

Although not 'new' the technology has made some steps towards marketable production recently as it appeared in a popular science magazine in the June 15 issue.
DK1 | DK2
"The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"

Comments

• GeorgioGeorgio Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Looks interesting. I'm sure I read something about this technology years ago where it was mooted for magazines allowing full resolution videos built into the support material.
    Perfect for head wraparound displays as it's flexible and self illuminating.
  • RiftXdevRiftXdev Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
    Yeah I quote marked 'new' as it's been around for a while. I did some research and it's even come to market in a handful of products around the time OLED was making it's mark but has since dwindled. I'm guessing manufacturing costs probably made OLED preferrable.

Now there is a very real need for these sorts of screens, for the VR generation that's about to come, I expect this sort of technology will rapidly develop into a usable tech for us.
    DK1 | DK2
  • willstewillste Posts: 675
    Brain Burst
    We may need more optics advancements than screen advancements. OLEDs are flexible, light and thin.
  • RiftXdevRiftXdev Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
    I think it's pixel density that's the win here. And significantly lower power draw versus massively increased brightness and contrast. Oh an as they're inorganic, significantly higher lifetime (than OLED)
    DK1 | DK2