cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sword Art Online Anyone?

schemen
Honored Guest

Once I've seen this series, I realized that there are really uncountable possibilities with VR.

I plumped into the world of VR!

On the other hand, if VR is going to a scale like it is shown in this anime where you not only "see" into the world with your eyes as a medium, rather your brain is the medium and you find yourself in a state of sleep and you "dream" all this - what if something like in SAO happen, where you can't log off anymore?

And I'm pretty sure that these times will come.
(And I kinda can't wait for them - even with these risks :P)

Cheers!

Oh... Wait
27 REPLIES 27

Cymatic
Honored Guest
I really enjoyed SAO! A very fun series to watch. Its available on cruchyroll (http://www.crunchyroll.com/sword-art-online) if anyone wants to check it out.

I really like the UI within the virtual world. I am looking into creating a similar UI for my own projects!
Dev Relations @ AltSpaceVR - VC Funded VR Startup. Now Hiring! Co-organizer, Silicon Valley Virtual Reality (SVVR) - Monthly meetups, SVVR Expo. Contributor, Road To VR - #1 VR News Site. VR Evangelist - VR Impressions & discussions.

KirigayaKazuto
Honored Guest

everygamer
Explorer
"KirigayaKazuto" wrote:
Intercepting brain signals sent to the bodies muscles and translating them into a corresponding digital command makes for a great anime, but I don't think that's going to happen in our life time.

At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid, I'm going to continue =/ If the stupidity of this post is stellar you may want to QFT as I'll end up deleting it.

How would you even intercept brain signals, chemical or electric. Electrons can interact with photons when the wavelength is short enough (high frequency), I don't know how high but let's take the anime at it's word and assume they did their research and go with microwaves. I don't fancy cooking my brain, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_burn

[Though there's a good chance this post will make it look as though I already have]

We also have molecular machines, but they're in their infancy. I wouldn't be surprised though if in 50-100 years, along with a better understanding of the brain, if they were small enough and smart enough of intercepting brain signals. :shock:

>> LINK START!

(Also let me play capt obvious, yes I've seen and love the show)

I think that within the next 100 years we will have this technology (not necessarily in our lifetime), the first step is BCI (biometric computer interfaces) so that we can control external technology with our minds. This is something we are already seeing start to show up in simple products and technologies. The next step would be simulating signals to the brain, simulating the senses. We have the most basic level of this being done now with sight & sound with implants, sound being more advanced than sight. Once we can simulate the senses with high fidelity it would be looking for alternate interface methods that would allow us to suppress our real-senses and send through the virtual senses. The less invasive method might be something that does it from the neck down, so that we are only providing virtual sensory for the rest of the body and not the head. Lots of technical challenges. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

I am eagerly waiting to hear if there will be a SAO 3rd season based on Gun Gale Online which was the next set of light novels for SAO.

If you have only seen the anime, the light novels were translated on http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/?title=Sword_Art_Online, this covers enough material for 2 more seasons of anime.

I really liked SAO, personally the first season I felt was better than the 2nd but overall it was a good story. I would love to play a VRMMO like was depicted in the first season, was a great concept. The UI as was mentioned in previous posts was a really cool concept and I expect we will see something like that showing up in a few games due to the anime's influence.

DeeKej
Explorer
Love SAO, and eagerly await the day something like that is created. With the current speed of technology I can't imagine not being able to someday experience something almost like it in my lifetime. 🙂

And the general plot aside, I really liked alot of the concepts and ideas expressed in the series. An AI with its own conciousness, dat UI (though flawed, still very beautiful), the idea of tapping into someone elses brain and the consequences following that (something that might well be a legitimate concern one day).

We're still very far from that kind of world and interaction, but boy will I try making that a reality someday! 😄

judah4
Honored Guest
Thank you for the link to the translated books, I've been wanting to read them for a while 🙂 I stayed up till 6 am watching all the episodes when I first found SAO.

schemen
Honored Guest
"judah4" wrote:
Thank you for the link to the translated books, I've been wanting to read them for a while 🙂 I stayed up till 6 am watching all the episodes when I first found SAO.

So it consumed you, too 😛

And yes! An Interface like that is a good possibility... Right now we would have the Razer Hydra for that kind of system.
In season 2, AlfOnline, the moment where you have to imagine you have wings for flying... Well.. I can start training for this one already 😛

PS:
Which pill would you take? Red or Blue :P?
Oh... Wait

relkinn
Honored Guest
"KirigayaKazuto" wrote:
Intercepting brain signals sent to the bodies muscles and translating them into a corresponding digital command makes for a great anime, but I don't think that's going to happen in our life time.

Except for the part where it was already done 10 years ago.
http://www.ted.com/talks/miguel_nicolel ... eally.html

You should be more excited for the lifetime we're living in. 😄

schemen
Honored Guest
"relkinn" wrote:
"KirigayaKazuto" wrote:

Except for the part where it was already done 10 years ago.
http://www.ted.com/talks/miguel_nicolel ... eally.html

You should be more excited for the lifetime we're living in. 😄

Looks actually good. One point would still be intercepting the signals...
Oh... Wait

Kirito
Honored Guest
sao is technology+medical sience

i realy hope we can achieve this in our lifetime

oculus is doing the hardware part 8-)