cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nektonik - a Life Simulation game

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am delighted to announce the release of the first trailer for my new game Nektonik! It is a whimsical life simulation game and it will be available for PC, Mac and the Oculus Rift at first. A playable web-browser demo will also be available soon and my goal is to also release an Oculus Rift DK2 version with it 🙂

Here is the announcement trailer for the game:

In Nektonik you take control of a Nekton, small and frail aquatic organism. Generation after generation, you assist them in surviving, modify their genes and design their unique anatomy. You also explore a vast aquatic world with many puzzles to solve and the freedom to choose your own path.

The Oculus Rift DK2 version is incredibly immersive and I can't wait to share it with you. Parts of the gameplay had to be slightly modified in order to accommodate the VR experience, and some are still being fixed.

Feel free to visit the official game's page for screenshots and information:
Official Website

Or follow the game's progress on Facebook and Twitter:
Facebook
Twitter

Please, don't hesitate to let me know what you think. As always all the feedback is welcome, be it positive or negative.

Thanks for watching 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

enzedda
Explorer
Hi there,
Looking great!
As many/most poster's here ( on most Forums) have Laptops with Optimus, will your game run Ok on these, please?
PS:
Most of these Laptops have very high specs.
Good luck with your venture !

drash
Heroic Explorer
Very nice looking trailer! It certainly has me interested in how it turns out, particularly to see how the VR implementation, how comfortable it is, etc.

@enzedda, for Optimus support that's probably up to Oculus and/or the laws of physics. Here's what cybereality has to say about it:

From all the reports in the forum, yes, if you have Optimus you may experiencing crashing and typically nothing will work. Disabling the Intel GPU is not really an option (it's hardwired) and disabling the Nvidia card may not work either (and wouldn't help you anyway, since Intel GPUs are not supported).
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks a lot for your awesome feedback !
I've tried to keep the specs for the game as low as possible, so I believe yes, the game will run fine on a NVidia Optimus setup. I'm doing all the dev on an old PC with an NVidia GeForce 6800 and the game runs fine all the way to 1080p on it. However, I do all my VR testing on another PC which is a really beefy rig... but I am fairly sure the game will run fine on the Optimus...

I should hurry and get my prototype/demo ready soon so you can try it out! 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
"drash" wrote:
Very nice looking trailer! It certainly has me interested in how it turns out, particularly to see how the VR implementation, how comfortable it is, etc.

Thanks a lot 😄
I had to modify the gameplay a bit so the VR implementation would work - although the action is centered around the organism, your are allowed to turn your head in the VR version and see the rest of the world you're exploring. So far I'm really pleased in the way it turned out - it's hard to describe, but it feels like playing the game through the a microscope lens, which is really what I wanted. I can't wait to share it with all of you.

The VR integration is also part of the same build. I mean, I really wanted to be able to write my game and just check a box when I wanted to build a VR version or not. It's not as straight forward as checking a box, but close... this way I don't have to run two different codes/projects... took me a while to figure out how to do it though... 😉

Oh, and about the Optimus, I didn't know they had hardware/configuration issues... as you said, there's not much I can do if this is the case 😞