New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus 0.7 Runtime. A major update.

RirtualVealityRirtualVeality Posts: 737
Nexus 6
edited August 2015 in General
Good news on the SDK/Runtime front. 0.7 will release August 20th and it looks impressive. Major changes to stability, latency, and the elimination of "extended" mode (yay!). An email was sent out extolling the virtues of the change and some of its limitations (looks like any content made before SDK 0.5 will need to be updated.). So......what do ya think?
As part of 0.7, we’ve removed ‘Extended Mode’, which commonly suffered from additional latency, and we’ve replaced it with a new ‘Direct Driver Mode’ that we’ve developed in collaboration with NVIDIA and AMD.
Direct Driver Mode is the most robust and reliable solution for interfacing with the Rift to date. Rather than inserting VR functionality between the OS and the graphics driver, headset awareness is added directly to the driver.
We’re targeting a November release for the Oculus PC SDK 1.0. Future updates to the runtime post-1.0 will continue to support games and applications built using 1.0 (or any later release).
:shock:

Comments

• RiftXdevRiftXdev Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
    They are collaborating with NVIDIA and AMD.

that's all I had to read to be happy.

And 'Extended Mode' always annoyed me and 'Direct mode' already worked perfect on anything that supported it, so i'm happy on that count too.

Remember the time when we had to use an Extended mode? ;) Can hear it now.
    DK1 | DK2
    "The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,989
    Wintermute
    We'll see what happens when people actually try and use it. :mrgreen:
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
    danknugz wrote:
    We'll see what happens when people actually try and use it. :mrgreen:

I guess.

Maybe collaborating with NVIDIA and AMD just means they raised a service desk ticket and got an answer from a 1st line on some issue, rather than the vision of hammering out code shoulder to shoulder with the graphic driver industry like the spin language implies.
    DK1 | DK2
  • andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 976
    Art3mis
    Getting rid of Extended mode is such a positive thing. One of my criteria when determining whether I would check out a demo has been whether it supports Direct Mode. If not, I don't run it.

I use Unreal Engine... so supporting Direct Mode is no extra work. I have not been able to figure out why any application would require Extended Mode.

Getting Direct Mode to work directly with nVidia and AMD is a huge win. Great work Oculus!
    RiftXdev wrote:
    Maybe collaborating with NVIDIA and AMD just means they raised a service desk ticket and got an answer from a 1st line on some issue...
    It requires new drivers; so I am pretty sure that at least some of their collaboration was of the "shoulder to shoulder" type.
    Let's hope. That was certainly my thoughts when first reading it.
    DK1 | DK2
  • BarronBarron Posts: 9
    i worry that this 0.7 isnt gonna support windows 10 if its not then my rift and the games im hopeing /am makeing for it is stuck so i have have a rift thats nothing more then a paper weight
  • SputnikKaputtnikSputnikKaputtnik Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Oculus confirmed Windows 10 IS officially supported with SDK 0.7

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... 20/ctv040r
    i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit
  • RirtualVealityRirtualVeality Posts: 737
    Nexus 6
    Oculus confirmed Windows 10 IS officially supported with SDK 0.7

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... 20/ctv040r
    Excellent.
  • CHECHE Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have dk1 and i can not make it work on unity 5 and 0.6. Anyone have success with dk1 and 0.6?
  • SputnikKaputtnikSputnikKaputtnik Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    They retracted the statement:

"Edit: Sorry, quick clarification: Windows 10 is not officially supported in 0.7. It hasn't been fully tested and isn't yet guaranteed to work. We're working on full Windows 10 support, and we'll keep everyone posted on progress. Sorry again for the confusion here."
    i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit
  • vrbites.comvrbites.com Posts: 37
    NerveGear
    I'm wondering if 0.7 will support DirectX 12 and Windows 10? DX12 has some major benefits if you compare it to DX11. For example you can use multiple graphic cards from different brands and bundle their power. This will not only be a very powerful feature for computers, but you can load balance the graphical power between a CPU intergraded GPU and an external GPU to spare some battery on your laptop. I think it is best to step in now. The Xbox One will also be using DX12, so porting between the Windows 10 and Xbox One platform should get much easier!

So can someone please confirm 0.7 will be working with Windows 10?
  • gtrdrtgtrdrt Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    Is there a way to determine which runtime version a game was made with? I primarily use the dk2 with 3 flight sims (War Thunder, DCS, and Outerra), and I would not want to install Runtime 0.7 unless and until those games are compatible with it.

Also, the announcement stated that 0.7 won't support games made with 0.5 or earlier. Does that mean a game made with a Runtime 0.5x (where x is greater than 0) would be supported, or would it have to be a game made with 0.6 or later?
  • benplacebenplace Posts: 769
    Neo
    gtrdrt wrote:
    Is there a way to determine which runtime version a game was made with? I primarily use the dk2 with 3 flight sims (War Thunder, DCS, and Outerra), and I would not want to install Runtime 0.7 unless and until those games are compatible with it.

Also, the announcement stated that 0.7 won't support games made with 0.5 or earlier. Does that mean a game made with a Runtime 0.5x (where x is greater than 0) would be supported, or would it have to be a game made with 0.6 or later?

content made before SDK 0.5 will need to be updated
  • MoeCappMoeCapp Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    I'm very excited for this! And also terrified of losing access to stuff that hasn't been updated recently.
  • enzeddaenzedda Posts: 143
    Another happy camper here.
    Yay for the end of "extended"!
    Very excited about this.
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,100
    3Jane
    Will SLI / Crossfire finally work in Direct Mode ?

And whatever happened to VR-SLI which Nvidia announced nearly a year ago ? :?
  • weasel47weasel47 Posts: 301
    Trinity
    Is it possible to have multiple versions of the runtime installed and switch between them? That would sure be handy.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    weasel47 wrote:
    Is it possible to have multiple versions of the runtime installed and switch between them?
    No, that's not possible as far as I know.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • gtrdrtgtrdrt Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    benplace wrote:
    gtrdrt wrote:

content made before SDK 0.5 will need to be updated
    Thanks, benplace. Do you know anyone who would probably know the answer to my first question? How to tell which Runtime version was used to build a game or app?
  • TyreRubberTyreRubber Posts: 118
    I'm quite dissapointed in the way the unity 4.x integration is handled as a second tier integration almost having to say thanks for still supporting it.

Two things. Unity 5 till now has been a hell for devs with a ton of stuff not working totally, the vr has been there since 5.1, so not much, graphicwise it might be ok for some game styles but for some others the new render engine changes de mood of games developed in 4.x in a way that as dev is going to override your hard work tuning it.

The beast lighting baker is gone, DAMM IT IS GONE!, it was FAST, aqurate and no matter what size it could handle enormous environments, the new lighting systems suc** so much that if you want to render a big , detailed scene you'll need a renderfarm (literally), that is the magic of so called "realtime" GI.

Not to talk about the hassle of updating the physycs if you're using them intensely.

So far, if you've been developing a game for a while, porting to U5 is the last thing you whant to do. Unity 4.x offered pretty much a devneeded but a x64 editor and updated physycs. They failed with the light baking and many people like the de dev crew here feel whatever but interested in U5 and stuck in nomans land. So please keep a decent support on u 4.x if you whant elaborated games to be pressent by the release of CV1.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Unity 4 is still being supported. It's just that future development is focused on Unity 5. So you probably won't see new features ported to Unity 4, at this point, but what was working before should continue to work.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • khos85khos85 Posts: 196
    Hiro Protagonist
    andrewtek wrote:
    Getting rid of Extended mode is such a positive thing. One of my criteria when determining whether I would check out a demo has been whether it supports Direct Mode. If not, I don't run it.

I use Unreal Engine... so supporting Direct Mode is no extra work. I have not been able to figure out why any application would require Extended Mode.

Getting Direct Mode to work directly with nVidia and AMD is a huge win. Great work Oculus!
    RiftXdev wrote:
    Maybe collaborating with NVIDIA and AMD just means they raised a service desk ticket and got an answer from a 1st line on some issue...
    It requires new drivers; so I am pretty sure that at least some of their collaboration was of the "shoulder to shoulder" type.

Does anyone know the specifics on which driver version we'll need to update to if using nVidia?
  • goettelgoettel Posts: 289
    Direct mode... thank Jebus! :P
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,290 Valuable Player
    Hi

Whilst everything running on direct is certainly the way to go, how will this work for apps which are currently built in .5 runtime but only work in extended?

Will these simply run the same but in direct mode now or will they not work - or work in 0.7 direct mode as they did in 0.5 direct?.

The example I have in mind is Elite Dangerous. Currently it does support 0.5 but its direct support is horrible, with extended being far better

Thanks.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    how will this work for apps which are currently built in .5 runtime but only work in extended?
    0.5 runtime apps are not supported by the 0.7 sdk, only 0.6 and above will work at all. No direct or extended mode.
    The example I have in mind is Elite Dangerous. Currently it does support 0.5 but its direct support is horrible, with extended being far better
    Elite will need to be upgraded otherwise it won't run on systems using 0.7.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,139
    Wintermute
    weasel47 wrote:
    Is it possible to have multiple versions of the runtime installed and switch between them?
    No, that's not possible as far as I know.

AFAIK you can always take the hard way to switch between runtime version: uninstall, clean (E.g. ccleaner), reboot, install other one, done. Not that easy but not impossible at all.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,290 Valuable Player
    kojack wrote:
    how will this work for apps which are currently built in .5 runtime but only work in extended?
    0.5 runtime apps are not supported by the 0.7 sdk, only 0.6 and above will work at all. No direct or extended mode.

ahh ok i must have missread i thought it was 0.5 and upwards would be supported.

thanks for the clarifications. i hope everyone at FD towers is working on this!.

edit.. i didnt missread, i guess the OP of this thread was mistaken as he said anything before 0.5..... oh well. Either FD will update elite or i will stay on 0.6
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ThoemseThoemse Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    kojack wrote:
    Elite will need to be upgraded otherwise it won't run on systems using 0.7.

Lets hope FD and oculus get direct mode for the cobra engine sorted. Right now it is a mess meaning without extended it is not playable.
  • CylonSurferCylonSurfer Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    Some say the facebook buy out was the worse thing to happen to Oculus - I say it's the removal of extended mode so late into the game. So many quality experiences that have zero chance of being updated will be lost - lost forever.

I have a big choice to make, to upgrade and loose access to many well loved titles or not to upgrade and loose access to new content. At the moment I think I'll have to stick with what I have and look elsewhere for VR in the future. I cannot trust a company that is effectively blocking me from using great VR experiences because one day they feel they are no longer relevant. It's just pathetic and lacks any consideration for the people using these kits.

This is such a bad move I cannot express my disappointment.
  • RirtualVealityRirtualVeality Posts: 737
    Nexus 6
    Some say the facebook buy out was the worse thing to happen to Oculus - I say it's the removal of extended mode so late into the game. So many quality experiences that have zero chance of being updated will be lost - lost forever.

I have a big choice to make, to upgrade and loose access to many well loved titles or not to upgrade and loose access to new content. At the moment I think I'll have to stick with what I have and look elsewhere for VR in the future. I cannot trust a company that is effectively blocking me from using great VR experiences because one day they feel they are no longer relevant. It's just pathetic and lacks any consideration for the people using these kits.

This is such a bad move I cannot express my disappointment.
    Late in the game? You mean before they release a commercial product? If something doesn't get updated to 0.7 then that's the fault of the company that made the product. Games BEFORE 0.5 need to be updated. Stop being so dramatic. :roll: