New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Take on Helicopters simulator

SomebodySomebody Posts: 29
edited November 2013 in Games and Apps
Hi,

Ive been trying to get this game to work on Oculus

so far Ive:

Ive set my screen resolution in the game to 1280X1024 Seems to work well on most games with oculus

I have downloaded Vireo perception newest version 1.1.0

Ive installed the 3 .dll files into the main folder of Take on Helicopters

turn on Vireo perception Oculus Rift and Oculus Tracker

GaME loads but on the main menu screen I get a C++ error " pure virtual "

game crashes Any ideas?

Comments

• TacklebaitTacklebait Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Just curious if you've had any luck with your mission here. Just got my rift and this game is top of my list to try with the rift.
  • baggygbaggyg Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    I would personally try with the previous version of Virieo since the latest broke a lot of things due to the true stereo thing they did. However I wouldnt hold much hope at the moment since this is the same engine as Arma 2 and that doesnt work. However if VorpX ever gets released it is reported to work with this engine :-)
  • SomebodySomebody Posts: 29
    Hi sorry been out of town, and havent had time to play around. Weekend is looking free so I may just become a couch potato and see what i can mustard up
  • Teem85Teem85 Posts: 1
    ToH uses the same engine like arma2 or dayz try enable the rift that way...
    google should help
  • AntiDevilAntiDevil Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Try using TriDEF3D that should work. It's not a free program but has a 14 days trial.
  • woodsmanwoodsman Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    Take on Helicopters works with Tridef+opentrack. I haven't tested these procedures and am still hacking away at things. No guarantees, but it works for me.

Start Tridef
    Right click on the Ignition panel and choose add game.
    Click add game manually
    Click Browse
    Choose the TOH executable in the Steam common folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\take on helicopters\TakeOnH.exe)
    Click Click here if your game is not on the list
    Type Take on Helicopters in Game Name
    Click Game Profile and choose Arma2
    Click Finish
    Close Tridef

Start Opentrack
    Choose Rift in Tracker Source 1st
    Choose Freetrack 2.0 in Game Protocol
    Click Pitch Invert, then clear it (said to be a bug).
    Click Start

Start Tridef Ignition
    Double click TOH icon

When the game finishes loading, press 0 on the num pad to display the OSD
    Display the HMD options and turn off tracking. Freetrack should take over. Close the OSD.
    Play.

It's promising but not quite there yet. You'll have to set curves to get 1:1 tracking, set resolution (outside Tridef/Rift as its too hard to see otherwise) and quality to what suits you and the Rift, and mess with the FOV options among other million little things. It's a real kludge and there's way too much drift to fly, but with enough tweaking it should work. Patience is required.

I'll keep at it. Let me know how you make out.
  • david3dwooddavid3dwood Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hey,
    got this working by using my arma otions with VorpX. start vorpx and put this into the shortcut options for TakeOn:

"G:\games\Take On Helicopters Demo\TakeOnHDemo.exe" -nosplash -winxp -x=1280 -y=800

You have to experiment with resolutions and also the aspect ratios. Not sure whats best yet but if you get a good setup with vorpx let me know. also its good if you press the key to allow mouse look in the cockpit (xbox B), otherwise your looking is linked to the turning which I could not get to unlink otherwise. Its playable and even controllable with the xbox controller.

good luck
  • baggygbaggyg Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    Hey,
    got this working by using my arma otions with VorpX. start vorpx and put this into the shortcut options for TakeOn:

"G:\games\Take On Helicopters Demo\TakeOnHDemo.exe" -nosplash -winxp -x=1280 -y=800

You have to experiment with resolutions and also the aspect ratios. Not sure whats best yet but if you get a good setup with vorpx let me know. also its good if you press the key to allow mouse look in the cockpit (xbox B), otherwise your looking is linked to the turning which I could not get to unlink otherwise. Its playable and even controllable with the xbox controller.

good luck
    Would it not be better to use Rift -> opentrack -> trackIR and simply use vorpX for the stereo view. That way it would be uncoupled from moving...
  • This title works on tridef, but the performance is horrible. Even with everything dialed down it's about 15 frames per second with my rig (i5 @4.5 ghz/16gb hd6970).
    You'd need to get the 3d texturecopy working to achieve reasonable performance.
    Arma II (variation of the same engine) on the other hand works fine even with 2560x1600 upsampling, so maybe with some tweaks you could boost the performance quite a bit.