cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.7/0.8 GPU Setup [LAPTOPS ARE NOT SUPPORTED!]

cybereality
Grand Champion
Reminder: GPUs below Nvidia GTX 600 series or AMD Radeon HD 7000 series are not supported. In addition, laptops typically are not supported well or at all (especially if they include Nvidia Optimus or AMD Switchable Graphics).

See this post for some details as to why laptops aren't supported.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28836&start=20#p328120

- Multi-GPU (like SLI) is not compatible and may result in artifacts on the screen. It can be disabled.
- Nvidia Surround is also not compatible and may result in slow performance and issues. It can be disabled.
- G-Sync monitors may result in issue. You may have to disable or unplug the monitor.

If you do have a supported GPU and are still having problems, read on:

If you are getting the “HMD Powered Off, Check HDMI Connection” error, please make sure you:

1. Have the correct GPU driver installed. Be sure to use the ones linked below.
---> Nvidia: https://developer.nvidia.com/oculus-07- ... er-support
---> AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... river.aspx
2. Have your HMD plugged in.
3. Reboot while the HMD is plugged in.
4. If you still have the same error, please send Server & Diagnostic Logs.
Instructions for obtaining the logs are here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23521

If you’re on Windows 7 or 8, and thinking of upgrading to Windows 10:

1. Uninstall Oculus runtime software
2. Upgrade to Windows 10
3. Install the correct GPU driver from below:
---> Nvidia: https://developer.nvidia.com/oculus-07- ... er-support
---> AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... river.aspx
4. Install the 0.7 Oculus runtime
5. Reboot with the HMD plugged in

NOTE: Please do NOT set a Debug HMD Type in the Config Util. This disables your actual hardware and uses an emulated setup designed for development testing. Your headset will not function in this configuration.

NOTE: If you upgraded to Windows 10 with the Oculus runtime previously installed in Windows 7/8, you may need to manually go and uninstall the “Oculus Display Driver”, which is not compatible with Windows 10. Go to Start -> Search for Add/Remove Programs -> Select “Oculus Display Driver” from the list -> Select Uninstall. When this uninstall has completed, please make sure your HMD is plugged in (both USB and HDMI cables) and then reboot.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
377 REPLIES 377

Antonix84
Honored Guest
Hi! What about R9 280x (same chip 7970)? It supports 0.7 and LiquidVR? GCN v1.0 here

McFaulTech
Explorer
"Anton2184" wrote:
Hi! What about R9 280x (same chip 7970)? It supports 0.7 and LiquidVR? GCN v1.0 here

the 280x is not below the 7xxx series. So yeah it will work.
Gigabyte Z97-i5 4670, 8gb 1600mhz G.Skill, crossfired 7970 3gb, EVGA g2 1300 PSU WHERE IS THE VR BASS FISHING???

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, more specifically you'll need the AMD GCN or Nvidia Kepler architectures (or newer). So you are fine.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

thedixon1000
Honored Guest
Hi - Im not sure wether the Quadro 4000 works with DK2 and 0.7 can someone give me a definitive answer?!

thank you

zoost
Explorer
will these compatibility restrictions (no/limited laptop support, mentioned GPU restrictions) also be applicable to the CV1?

cybereality
Grand Champion
See the recommended specs for the consumer Rift here:

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/

MikeChurch
Honored Guest
I have an ATI Radeon 7800HD, and DK2 with Windows 8 64bit and Oculus 0.7 installed. I installed Windows 8 fresh just to get this working, and when I go to configure, then the Demo Scene, it shows on the monitor (mirroring) but not the headset. The mirroring screen says "Please put on the headset". The motion tracking, etc is working.

I have tried the latest drivers for ATI (now using 15.8 beta as recommended somewhere else here) and no luck. I have tried direct to the HDMI port and through a Thunderbolt dongle->HDMI but same thing, nothing on the DK2 display.

Any ideas?

Anyone? Please... I have wasted 6 hours on this since the .7 upgrade. I have changed hardware to drive it, switched to Unity on PC from Mac, and am quite frustrated. I have seen other posts like mine with the exact same complaint. Help, anyone?

ModernVision
Honored Guest
I have a 560 GPU. An game i went to use said i had to update to continue using the game. So i updated, and now i cant use the rift at all. Is there a way to revert back to a later version?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, just uninstall the runtime and install a different version if you like.