Interesting observation from first time user — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Interesting observation from first time user

saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
NerveGear
edited September 2015 in General
So I let my uncle try the Rift earlier today, older guy, 56. His reaction was the typical, "That was cool" etc. etc.. However, he did make one comment that did strike me as interesting enough that I decided to post it. When he asked how long / often I play in VR:

Me: "Not so much due to work / development / reading, etc.. why's that?"
Him: "Because I can see people loosing themselves in it".

We then had a brief discussion of the game I'm trying to create, in which I am aiming for exactly that, which is standard across any MMORPG / MORPG.

ah.. yea.. he did the Infiltrator demo (in which he tried to block some of the rocks :lol: and the Neuro demo. Sadly, the Apollo 11 and Insidious demos do not work with the new runtime :\

Comments

• shadowfroggershadowfrogger Posts: 502
    Trinity
    I think people can lose themselves in anything, just might be a bit easier with the rift. It will be interesting to note that even after the rift comes out, How many of the people that post heavy will continue to post and for how long. Do you have a information link about your game if you don't mind ? :)
    Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website!
    http://www.gaming-disorder.com/
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    No, not yet. Its not anywhere near any type of release, even alpha. However, I can tell you the inspiration for the design/concepts:

Sword art online: Dungeon Style + Outdoor area style

Log Horizon: Class style makeup. 3 Main Classes, 4 Specialization for each of those, and 22 subclasses you can choose from. So there are 496 possible combinations of class makeups.

ESO: Weapon skill lines

EvE Online: Economy
    Trinity
    Awesome, sounds good. You should remember to market it as soon as feasible possible. Are you doing anything Speical with combat? you have a lot of work ahead of you!
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    Oh yea, I know. Combat is going to be basically standard as you would see across fantasy RPG's, but it'll be a first person view (no 3rd person, even w/o the VR headset). Controller based, with VOIP chat that is local (around the player), group, guild, raid. The combat style that's in Dark Souls is a good idea of how I want to go with controlling the character.

Once I get some in-game footage (I'm waiting for UE 4.10 with VS2015 + DX12 support, at least, better support) to start level creation. So far, I'm doing all of the other stuff, creating characters, models, etc.. I've also picked up the MMORPG kit for UE4, so that should help speed things along.

I'm also waiting for my !@#% PrioVR suit for motion capturing, but I don't know when that will come out, if ever.
    Trinity
    The Prio suit will be invaluable for animation, not to mention fun. Sounds really good! can't wait to see some footage. Hope you get there but keep at it and don't be afraid too cut non essential stuff. While having more is better, don't let it interfere with the core mechanics. My advice anyway.
  • MadarasMadaras Posts: 572
    Nexus 6
    So this game. Are you making this specifically for VR, such as SAO, in which case how will you be doing special attacks? My personal hope for that would be, in VR, motion/voice controlled special attacks and magic.
  • parzivalparzival Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Get ready to hear much more of this come next year. Guaranteed you'll hear a mix of "VR is Awesome" news stories, along with "What are the affects of VR on you're children?" "does VR cause you're child to go crosseyed" "VR linked to paranoia , depression" etc.. you name it.

You see this with any new advancement in technology. Some of it is based on lack of knowledge on the subject and others are just fear mongering and attempts to get viewers. The same was said about television, computers, the internet, game consoles, etc..

My personal opinion is that with VR you'll need to set limits on you're kids , just like TV, Internet, video games, etc.. just because the medium is different and more immersive doesn't make it any more dangerous or addictive. some people play MMORPGs today for days straight without sleep , but rational people know that this isn't healthy , it'll be the same with VR