Runtime 0.7 on Boot Camp — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Runtime 0.7 on Boot Camp

AdamL288AdamL288 Posts: 49
Brain Burst
edited January 2016 in Support
Hi all,

I've been a big follower of Oculus for a while, and have dabbled in creating my own VR content for a few eyars now using Windows 7 on a boot camp (iMac mid 2011). While the specs aren't entirely up to speed now it has still functioned fine except for the most high end demos.

I upgraded the runtime to version 0.7 today, expecting to lose support for all apps developed in the previous versions and lower. That's to be expected. What I didn't expect however is to find out after the install that apparently this new runtime doesn't even seem to support Boot Camp anymore - something to do with not having compatible drivers?

I am incredibly frustrated at this turn of events as not only has this put an iron wall on my personal development projects but has turned my perfectly working Oculus into a brick incapable of running anything. I know Oculus never intended to support Mac in the first place, but Boot Camp is essentially the same as native Windows except the inability to easily change/upgrade the graphics card. No-where on the 0.7 runtime download page did it state that this would not work on Boot Camp and this is a major problem for us existing Mac users.

I would like to know if there's any fix at all, if there's one or the works, or if not, how to downgrade to the older runtime. Even if I have to miss out on new content while I save up for a separate Windows PC, I'd rather be able to use my Oculus in the meantime.

Thanks,
Adam

Comments

  • glazeglaze Posts: 43
    I'm running 0.7 fine on a Boot Camp Windows 10 installation with NVIDIA on a MacBook Pro.
  • AdamL288AdamL288 Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately my iMac uses AMD and the only driver packages to support the new runtime apparently don't work on Bootcamp. I thought the laptops used AMD cards too?
  • glazeglaze Posts: 43
    AdamL288 wrote:
    I thought the laptops used AMD cards too?

    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Apple seems to switch between AMD and NVIDIA quite often.
  • enzeddaenzedda Posts: 143
    glaze wrote:
    I'm running 0.7 fine on a Boot Camp Windows 10 installation with NVIDIA on a MacBook Pro.

    Maybe a bit OT, but I's sure be interested in seeing how many others have .7 running on boot camp?

    Hey, Glaze, what type of "Pro" are you using and did you have any initial issues with it?

    Can you develop on it? Can you run Unity ?

    Are there any games that you'd like but can't play?

    Thanks....

    just working with some guys who use Macs in their studio but can't get the joy you're having!
    Maybe some hints?
    Ta.
  • glazeglaze Posts: 43
    enzedda wrote:
    glaze wrote:
    I'm running 0.7 fine on a Boot Camp Windows 10 installation with NVIDIA on a MacBook Pro.

    Hey, Glaze, what type of "Pro" are you using and did you have any initial issues with it?

    Can you develop on it? Can you run Unity ?

    Are there any games that you'd like but can't play?

    Thanks....

    just working with some guys who use Macs in their studio but can't get the joy you're having!
    Maybe some hints?
    Ta.

    Late 2013 15" high-end model with i7, NVIDIA 750M, integrated Intel and 16 GiB RAM. Excellent machine. Developing is just fine, I use Visual Studio on Windows and Xcode on OS X. The only problem with Rift is that it takes all of my USB ports so I can't plug in a gamepad unless I get a hub. I use Unity and Unreal on the machine but haven't made VR development for them yet, just for my own engine. Many games are perfectly playable, like Alien: Isolation. Tuscany demo runs at solid 75 Hz but Epic's VR demos stutter.
  • AdamL288AdamL288 Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for the replies guys - I have received an official reply from Oculus saying they no longer plan on supporting boot camp in the future, which means a no-go for all of us with Macs unless you happen to have an Nvidia graphics card, I believe.

    I have found a less than perfect solution - if you go to download the latest runtime and change the version number in the URL to 0.6 or 0.5 you can download older versions so it should still work with older games and builds:

    https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/ ... r_Windows/
    https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/ ... r_Windows/

    Obviously this means all newer content won't be compatible but I'm just happy I don't have an unusable device during the time I plan to buy a PC and the consumer version.
  • enzeddaenzedda Posts: 143
    glaze wrote:
    enzedda wrote:
    glaze wrote:
    I'm running 0.7 fine on a Boot Camp Windows 10 installation with NVIDIA on a MacBook Pro.

    Hey, Glaze, what type of "Pro" are you using and did you have any initial issues with it?

    Can you develop on it? Can you run Unity ?

    Are there any games that you'd like but can't play?

    Thanks....

    just working with some guys who use Macs in their studio but can't get the joy you're having!
    Maybe some hints?
    Ta.

    Late 2013 15" high-end model with i7, NVIDIA 750M, integrated Intel and 16 GiB RAM. Excellent machine. Developing is just fine, I use Visual Studio on Windows and Xcode on OS X. The only problem with Rift is that it takes all of my USB ports so I can't plug in a gamepad unless I get a hub. I use Unity and Unreal on the machine but haven't made VR development for them yet, just for my own engine. Many games are perfectly playable, like Alien: Isolation. Tuscany demo runs at solid 75 Hz but Epic's VR demos stutter.

    Thanks, Glaze.
    But still no joy. Similar machines to your with two of them fitted out with 750M's
    The other three have D700, similar to the W9000 Firepro.

    However, no matter what one does and how one tries the outcome is nil.
    Nvidia or otherwise, the result is frustratingly close but no go.

    Would LOVE to know how on earth you got yours going?

    Can you list a step by step walkthrough?

    This is with .7 isn't it or have I misread?
    Thanks.

    EDIT. Glaze, It seems that Bootcamp is not working with Oculus on both the macbook pro and the MacPro either.
    Is it a bootcamp fault that you've overcome?
    Thanks
  • glazeglaze Posts: 43
    enzedda wrote:
    It seems that Bootcamp is not working with Oculus on both the macbook pro and the MacPro either.
    Is it a bootcamp fault that you've overcome?
    Thanks

    I didn't have any problems with Boot Camp. If I recall correctly, when 0.7 was released, I uninstalled 0.6 runtime, updated NVIDIA driver to 355.84, rebooted, unplugged Rift, installed 0.7, rebooted and replugged Rift and it just worked. I don't remember having any problems.
  • enzeddaenzedda Posts: 143
    glaze wrote:
    enzedda wrote:
    It seems that Bootcamp is not working with Oculus on both the macbook pro and the MacPro either.
    Is it a bootcamp fault that you've overcome?
    Thanks

    I didn't have any problems with Boot Camp. If I recall correctly, when 0.7 was released, I uninstalled 0.6 runtime, updated NVIDIA driver to 355.84, rebooted, unplugged Rift, installed 0.7, rebooted and replugged Rift and it just worked. I don't remember having any problems.


    Well thanks, Glaze, but no luck at all with .7.

    They are throwing this at me : https://www.vg247.com/2015/06/17/oculus ... u-e3-2015/

    Basically:


    “It’s not going to work on any Macbook that exists or is known to exist in the near future,” Luckey said

    Sigh. I guess he knows.

    God only knows how you got it working.
    Maybe contact Oculus and set them right?
    But thanks, Glaze for your hints etc.
  • Believe me, I am also extremely frustrated and pissed of Oculus right now because of 0.7.

    We bought two PCs not even 12 months ago, a high end gaming notebook for 4000 € for presenting our VR development progress at the customers HQ and a nearly 9000 € Mac Pro (12C/1 TB/D500) for general development and final presentation (iOS/Android/Windows) including this VR app.

    And now, just months later, all those investments shall be for nuts because neither Boot Camp supports 0.7 on the Mac Pro nor does the super high end XMG notebook because of Optimus.

    I like the general idea of Oculus to absolutely minimize the latency on devices with drivers WHICH support it, but to totally drop all other development machines which (in terms of performance) easily match the requirements is definitely the worst move a company such as Oculus could make and a slap into the developers faces.

    Keeping the systems on Win 8 instead of 10 and using the old 0.6 is a work around for now, but to never be able to upgrade to 0.7 or the 1.0 is... very motivating.
  • enzeddaenzedda Posts: 143
    Maybe you could PM "glaze" and get a rundown on he/she is doing it with great success?
    Then let others know as well ;)
  • glazeglaze Posts: 43
    enzedda wrote:
    Maybe you could PM "glaze" and get a rundown on he/she is doing it with great success?
    Then let others know as well ;)

    The thing is, there was nothing special I needed to do. If I remember correctly, I installed NVIDIA 355.84 (haven't tried other drivers) without DK2 plugged in, installed 0.7 runtime, rebooted and plugged in DK2 and it just worked. It also worked before win10 on win8.1 and 0.6 Runtime. Some people have reported that on win10 you could disable something called "fast startup" but I never had to do it.
  • enzeddaenzedda Posts: 143
    glaze wrote:
    enzedda wrote:
    Maybe you could PM "glaze" and get a rundown on he/she is doing it with great success?
    Then let others know as well ;)

    The thing is, there was nothing special I needed to do. If I remember correctly, I installed NVIDIA 355.84 (haven't tried other drivers) without DK2 plugged in, installed 0.7 runtime, rebooted and plugged in DK2 and it just worked. It also worked before win10 on win8.1 and 0.6 Runtime. Some people have reported that on win10 you could disable something called "fast startup" but I never had to do it.

    Hmmm. Strange that you seem to be the only one in the universe that's got this going.
    Congratulations...I think... :? :?
  • glenfglenf Posts: 6
    I managed to get the latest Oculus runtime (0.8) working on a Mac Pro (AMD FirePro D500) under Boot Camp with Windows 10. Previously, I was getting the famous "HMD powered off, check HDMI connection" or "Tracker sync cable disconnected" messages in the Oculus Configuration Utility. I was using the latest Windows 10 Boot Camp drivers from Apple/AMD, which unfortunately aren't as up-to-date as AMD's "real" drivers that the Oculus runtime seems to demand.

    So I installed the latest AMD "Crimson Edition" 16.1 drivers and (here's the critical bit) modified them following the steps here. It worked: the DK2 is now detected and activates -- as does the position tracking camera. And the Demo Scene works fine. Huzzah, back in business!

    But it's pretty depressing that those of us with (ahem) "high end" Macs were prevented from developing for Oculus -- obviously since May 2015 we can't officially develop under OS X any more (thank goodness for the good old 0.5 OS X runtime!). "At least we can develop in Windows (under Boot Camp)," I thought. Ha! This worked for me with Windows 8.1 and the Oculus runtime up to 0.6. But it turns out that if you want to stay up to date, to use the latest Oculus runtime on Windows 10 (with an AMD card, under Boot Camp), you're stuck. At least, without resorting to tweaks like unsupported driver modification.

    It would be greatly appreciated if Apple or AMD would make officially-supported versions of the required drivers available for Mac Pro hardware to work with Oculus, so we don't have to resort to such hacks to make things work.
Sign In or Register to comment.