New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

[0.8] Failed to initialize DirectDisplay extension (AMD)

2»

Comments

• charlton_3393charlton_3393 Posts: 272
    Nexus 6
    I have had to revert back to Catalyst drivers as the headset for me is not even recognised as conected to the PC with the Crimson Drivers, such a shame... however i installed latest Crimson drivers on a windows 10 laptop with an R7 200 series gpu and it actually runs.... at like 10fps... but it runs.... really weird it never ran before.. :shock:

Anyway has anyone heard news from AMD or Oculus about this issue? Is it the 0.8 runtime not supporting the new features of Crimson? (Conflict with LiquidVR maybe? idk) or a problem with Crimson itself? Ive tried all beta and normal drivers with no luck... maybe it will be resolved with 0.9 runtime which im guessing will be around new years...
    Specs:
    - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS
    - ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard
    - Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor
    - Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU
    - 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    The issue is with Crimson and older AMD cards (GCN 1.0 cards, like the 7900 series). Newer cards should be working.

We're speaking with AMD about the issue, and we're currently investigating if a solution is possible. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • npcartwrightnpcartwright Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem, Im running windows 10 on a AMD Radeon R9 270X
    Since the 0.8 runtime ive lost headtracking with the issues

HMD Powered off, Check HDMI Connection
    Failed to initialize DirectDisplay extension (AMD)

spent the last couple of hours trying to fix it :/

The screen is actually working and shows up but no headtracking at all
    270X is also GCN 1.0 architecture (it was just a rebadge). You need GCN 1.1 or higher.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • DunderHassanDunderHassan Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    The issue is with Crimson and older AMD cards (GCN 1.0 cards, like the 7900 series). Newer cards should be working.

We're speaking with AMD about the issue, and we're currently investigating if a solution is possible. Thanks.

Thanks for the update, I hope it's nothing too cumbersome.
  • KangelosKangelos Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    My R9 280x is also GCN 1.0 and its the only one i can (not) use right now.
    Any news from AMD yet?
  • npcartwrightnpcartwright Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I've tried different versions of the SDK now,

I can only get it to work on the 0.5 Runtime, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8 dont work for me

Any idea if this is going to be resolved, I think its a bit early to say our graphics cards are outdated
    Only 0.7 or 0.8 will work on Windows 10.

I would try 0.7 with this AMD driver: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... river.aspx
  • I have an AMD R9 M375 and still get the issues. This was on stock Catalist and on Crimson.
    Mobile chips may not work correctly.
  • Raider22Raider22 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    So is this gonna get fixed or what? If the rift wont work with a two year old graphics card then I'm out.
    No, it won't be "fixed" since it's not really a bug. It's a limitation of the hardware.

To be more specific, it is possible to have some sort of experience with properly optimized software, but the current software package was not designed that way and it will take a while to change that.
  • No, it won't be "fixed" since it's not really a bug. It's a limitation of the hardware.

To be more specific, it is possible to have some sort of experience with properly optimized software, but the current software package was not designed that way and it will take a while to change that.

So there is an issue with the Crimson driver and older AMD cards (HD 7000 or R9 200 rebadge).It's being fixed, but the solution won't be available for little bit. I believe this driver should be working though: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... -beta.aspx

If you are having issues, please post both of these log files: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23521

What the literal f*** are you talking about....can you not contradict yourself? This is why oculus has really lost my confidence...you jumped happily at blaming hardware and anything you could to not develop or deal with an issue on your hardware.
    The last person before you was talking about laptops, so I assumed you were continuing the laptop conversation.

The bug in the OP of this topic is still under investigation by both Oculus and AMD. Sorry for the confusion.
  • KangelosKangelos Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    A strange thing. Seems i had postponed a windows 10 update to newer version and
    after that update , the rift started working again.
    Right now i am using windows 10 version 10.0.10586
    with the latest crimson driver for my ASUS R9 280x
    and it works flawlessly.

*There are still some issues, for example, the headset
    light remains blue after i close any demo/game.
    Nexus 6
    UPDATE: CRIMSON DRIVERS WORKING (16.1 Hotfix)

I installed the new AMD hotfix driver update with the headset detached to make certain it would work, but should still install and work fine with it still attached. Can confirm fully functional with my GCN 1.0 card (HD 7950)
    Specs:
    - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS
  • DunderHassanDunderHassan Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    UPDATE: CRIMSON DRIVERS WORKING (16.1 Hotfix)

I installed the new AMD hotfix driver update with the headset detached to make certain it would work, but should still install and work fine with it still attached. Can confirm fully functional with my GCN 1.0 card (HD 7950)

Awesome, thanks for the info, I can confirm it works now (HD7970).
    I searched for updates in the AMD settings menu, but it didn't find any.
    Had to download the hotfix here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... Notes.aspx
    Nexus 6
    Yeah forgot to mention that searching for updates in Crimson wont find the hotfix, has to be downloaded manually as per the link above :)

Also call out to anyone else who had issues can they confirm it working with the new hotfix? Cheers.
    Specs:
    - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS
  • CurtisCurtis Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    To anyone still keeping an eye on this thread, I just downloaded the latest hot fix for 2/3/2016(Crimson Edition 16.1.1 Hotfix) and everything seems to be working great.

Thanks charlton_3393 for the heads up that they seemed to have solved the problem ;)
    Awesome!
  • Anyone know the latest PC Runtime that supports AMD legacy drivers (13.9) for Direct Display?

"AMD graphics driver out of date. Please update to enable Direct Display. Min recommended version is 15.10 Beta."
  • Hi,
    Same message on my desktop. GPU Radeon HD 7950.
    Log:
    {
    	"Time":	"2016-02-21_10:59:39",
    	"SDK Version":	"0.8.0.0",
    	"Local SDK Version":	"0.8.0.0",
    	"Service Running Time":	{
    		"Hours":	0,
    		"Minutes":	13,
    		"Seconds":	48
    	},
    	"Display Status":	{
    		"Display Mode":	3,
    		"Win10 Native":	{
    			"Capable":	0,
    			"Available":	0,
    			"ResultCode":	-3005,
    			"Status":	"DXGI 2 Preview requires Windows 10"
    		},
    		"IHVDirect":	{
    			"Capable":	1,
    			"Available":	0,
    			"ResultCode":	-3006,
    			"Status":	"Failed to initialize DirectDisplay extension (AMD)"
    		},
    		"Legacy Direct":	{
    			"Capable":	1,
    			"Available":	1,
    			"ResultCode":	0,
    			"Status":	"OVRDirect available"
    		},
    		"Summary ResultCode":	-3006,
    		"Summary Status":	"Failed to initialize DirectDisplay extension (AMD)"
    	},
    	"System Specifications":	{
    		"Operating System":	"Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate ",
    		"Processor":	"AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor",
    		"Graphics Adapters":	[{
    				"Name":	"AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series",
    				"Video Controller RAM (MB)":	3072,
    				"Driver Version":	"15.300.1025.1001",
    				"Video Mode":	"1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colors"
    			}],
    		"Total RAM (GB)":	12,
    		"USB Tree":	[{
    				"name":	"Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller",
    				"deviceid":	"PCI\\VEN_1002&DEV_4396&SUBSYS_75961462&REV_00\\3&267A616A&2&92",
    				"caption":	"Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller",
    				"manufacturer":	"(Standard USB Host Controller)",
    				"Devices":	[{
    						"name":	"USB Root Hub"
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"(Generic USB Hub)",
    						"name":	"Generic USB Hub"
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"(Standard system devices)",
    						"name":	"USB Input Device"
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"Microsoft",
    						"name":	"HID-compliant mouse"
    					}]
    			}, {
    				"name":	"Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller",
    				"deviceid":	"PCI\\VEN_1002&DEV_4396&SUBSYS_75961462&REV_00\\3&267A616A&2&9A",
    				"caption":	"Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller",
    					}]
    			}, {
    				"name":	"Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller",
    				"deviceid":	"PCI\\VEN_1002&DEV_4397&SUBSYS_75961462&REV_00\\3&267A616A&2&90",
    				"caption":	"Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller",
    					}]
    			}, {
    				"deviceid":	"PCI\\VEN_1002&DEV_4397&SUBSYS_75961462&REV_00\\3&267A616A&2&98",
    					}]
    			}, {
    				"deviceid":	"PCI\\VEN_1002&DEV_4398&SUBSYS_75961462&REV_00\\3&267A616A&2&91",
    					}]
    			}, {
    				"deviceid":	"PCI\\VEN_1002&DEV_4398&SUBSYS_75961462&REV_00\\3&267A616A&2&99",
    					}]
    			}, {
    				"deviceid":	"PCI\\VEN_1002&DEV_4399&SUBSYS_75961462&REV_00\\3&267A616A&2&A5",
    					}]
    			}]
    	},
    	"Drivers":	[{
    			"Path":	"\\system32\\OVRDisplay64.dll",
    			"Version":	"1.2.8.0"
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\system32\\OVRDisplayRT64.dll",
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\syswow64\\OVRDisplay32.dll",
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\syswow64\\OVRDisplayRT32.dll",
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\system32\\drivers\\RiftEnabler.sys",
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\system32\\OVRDisplay32.dll",
    			"Version":	"C:\\Windows\\system32\\OVRDisplay32.dll not found"
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\system32\\OVRDisplayRT32.dll",
    			"Version":	"C:\\Windows\\system32\\OVRDisplayRT32.dll not found"
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\system32\\drivers\\OCUSBVID.sys",
    			"Version":	"1.0.14.0"
    		}],
    	"Video Device Tree":	[{
    			"Name":	"AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series",
    			"VRAM (MB)":	3051,
    			"Monitors":	[{
    					"Name":	"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1",
    					"Width":	1920,
    					"Height":	1080,
    					"Refresh Rate":	60
    				}]
    		}],
    			"HMDNRFVersion":	"",
    			"TrackerNRFVersion":	""
    		}]
    }

Update to the latest AMD driver.
  • ddog800ddog800 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
    It's not the fact that your 6900 GPU isn't powerful enough (clearly it is) it's because the AMD cards that were manufactured below the Radeon HD 7000 level have an unsupported architecture, it's just unfortunately bad luck... sorry guys! Oculus cannot access root commands to control Graphics on a very intricate API level that 0.8 and higher runtimes require as these cards were not built to support that level of operation that is accessed by the operating system, they have had to work very closely with AMD, Nvidia and Microsoft to try and get latency timing very low and allow access to complicated levels of instructions sent to the GPU... otherwise we wouldn't have seen Direct Mode come as far as it has. I'm sure if there was a way to get these cards to work with the way Oculus have coded their drivers then the would have them working, and having dual cards doesn't help since Oculus currently doesn't support SLI or Crossfire.

It may hurt a bit now but consider yourself lucky you have gotten this far with the cards you have, surely you would have known that at some point you would have to upgrade your graphics cards considering all the information Oculus has given us over the past year? You basically have 2 choices...

1. You can either roll back to whatever worked before and use that until all the apps you use are no longer suported... to which you then discover that your card cannot run the DirectX 12 API (which will ultimately be ONE OF the overhauls that will drive VR into the future, trust me my other pc's 6870 will not be taking advantage of DX12 anytime soon...ever)

OR

2. You can save up and invest in a new card that will suffice and be compatible with all the new improvements that will roll into 2016 along with DirectX 12 and then save up and buy a second card when Oculus supports SLI/Crossfire.

Sorry to tell it like it is but you guys knew when you ordered your development kits that it is a DEVELOPMENT kit... the software is still beta... everything is still beta at this point... as we get closer to a release there are always disappointments and trade offs that have to be made to keep moving forward... its like when people complained about dropping Extended Mode because there was one particular game they were playing that didn't support 0.7 or Direct Mode yet... I mean seriously whats more important? Having a great VR experience in the future? Or having a shitty one right this second cos a couple of developers couldn't be bothered to update their software the second a new runtime comes out?

When you are on the forefront of a Virtual Revolution there are no guarantees that it is gonna be easy... or cheap.

I've just dug out my DK1 that I haven't played with in a year or more and am trying to get it running on Win10. I'm just getting caught up on the new way the Rift environment works (last time I used it I just extended the desktop) and I have an old video card, an HD 6850. There are no AMD drivers for that old of a card to support the new Rift runtimes, etc etc.

I've been also getting frustrated trying to get it to work these last few days, but to be honest your post here perfectly sums up the situation and set me straight. Just time to move forward.

Since I was a Kickstarter backer, I just received my new, free consumer Rift a few days ago and realized I can't even use it until I upgrade anyway. Time to save up.

Time to more forward!!!