New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Does Microsoft really care about PC gamers?

Comments

• ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
    Thanks anyway!
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,759 Valuable Player
    edited June 2016
    @ThreeDeeVision - I'm very glad to hear that Oblivion turned out worthy of the Elder Scrolls title. I was obsessed with Morrowind, and played as many add-ons as I could get. I'm looking forward to completing the rest of the series. I own the anthology box set, and posted a screenshot of it next to my Rift on this forum some time back:

As for Final Fantasy, yes I think that it is my favorite RPG setting of all time. My favorite Boss Battle concept was their "demon wall"

The idea of having to kill a living wall before it closes in on you is just fantastic! I love the concept so much that in the Mod I created titled, Mystrock, I hand-coded something very similar:

Yep, I definitely love me some RPG genre above all others.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,972 Valuable Player
    Well Zenbane there's a growing consensus from early reports (which you can take with a grain of salt) that the FF XV  VR integration isn't very good and a bit tacked on.

In other news pertinent to this thread. Phil Spencer talking to Giantbomb has said Microsoft will be publishing some of its games on other stores in the future.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Wintermute

That ES anthology is sexy as hell!  I have the collectors edition of Skyrim with the dragon statue :).  The demon wall is definitely an awesome concept, they had at least one demon door in FFVII that I can remember.  The myriad of enemies and bosses really adds to the mystique of the Final Fantasy games.  And the chocobo racing of course!  I love all the mini-games as well, just so much game built into those titles.

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
    I figured as much @Shadowmask72 - and I assume that the whole "tacked on" approach is just a temporary solution to a long term problem. Everyone wants to jump on the VR bandwagon, even if they have to stick feathers up their products butt and call it a chicken, na' mean?

I'm thinking more long term: the Final Fantasy VR release in the year 2020!

I want to look up in sheer awe and terror, armed with my Rift and Touch, as I take down that Demon Wall.
    You've probably heard it being banded about quite a bit on these forums but as a proof of concept, Vanishing Realms can put you right into the role playing part of RPG, I'm sure ThreeDeeVision would agree. Hopefully we'll see a more fully fledged game of this nature in the future - A Final Fantasy themed one would obviously be the icing I'd assume.

Wintermute
    Yeah, Vanishing Realms is incredible.  Getting to physically loot still blows my mind when I lean over the edge of a crate and reach in to take the goodies, or smash some boxes/barrels to get the loot inside.  Carrying a torch around and being able to light candles and torches is a beautiful touch.

Final Fantasy VR would blow my mind.  If the new FFVII remake is for PSVR I might have to pick one up just to play that.  Here's hoping we get some PC VR Final Fantasy titles in the near future, 2020 is a bit too far away for my liking :)
    Actually, there's also a game called Fated which offers some neat characterization storytelling that if combined with the mechanisms of Vanishing realms would give you the basis of a potential "FFesque" experience. Combine that also with the presentation of  Call of the Starseed and you've got something rather special. VR tech now has all the components in place to make an awesome AAA game. It just needs a publisher willing to sink millions into such a project to put it all together.

I beat Fated, and enjoyed the crap outta it.
    That ending though..

:'( 

I reloaded the ending sequence the first time it happened; I thought the ending could be changed if I reacted quicker. But nope. The RPG gods were merciless with this one. Yikes!
  • incrediclintincrediclint Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    obzen said:
    Looking at how successful Steam is as a publication platform, and how the PC gaming hardware is doing, I wouldn't worry. I don't see anything replacing PCs at the cutting edge of game development and gaming.

Microsoft focuses it's efforts on the XBox One, sure (no more Microsoft hardware or games), but I don't see that as a hindrance. DirectX is still going strong, and they have the best development tools, while remaining an open platform.

Steams success is also part of the problem. Way too many one off games that are horrible get released with too many "Get a million people to give you a dollar and your golden" developers (same thing with mobile games). Reminds me of the Atari 2600 days right before they crashed the video game market.

Really hoping someone, anyone can eventually compete with steam. I'm buying as many games as I can from oculus home and other platforms and trying to avoid using steam for everything I play. 
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,887 Valuable Player
    It's a good thing that Microsoft doesn't control the PC gaming industry, I only care about their Operating System releases.  I'll depend on the countless other game developers that make PC games.
  • vlodatovlodato Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    Kbm has no place in console gaming. I'm really not trying to play cod versus people that are just clicking on heads. Oh how skillfull you are...kbm is great for many games but fps... It's just not fair.
    Wintermute
    @vlodato that is where we have to disagree.  KBM is the best way to play competitive FPS (or maybe tracked controllers).  When just a millisecond is between you and a potential point, nothing else compares.  I like a good console game, don't get me wrong, but the best military sims have always been on the PC.  Operation Flashpoint was probably the first great one (huge maps, large server capacity, lots of vehicles, objectives, mission builder, ect...), and that PC game still trumps most console FPS's to date.  Of course it isn't fair when someone is using a thumbstick against a person using KBM, the mouse is more accurate. 

Tracked controllers are changing the game though.  Actually using both hands to aim a gun like you do in games like Onward is a real game-changer.  Looking down the sights to aim like you would in real life is pretty surreal.
    Wintermute
    On topic, we finally got a cross platform game in the new Gears!  Bravo MS!!!  You could have done this back with the original X-Box, but good on ya for finally supporting this on one game.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    vlodato said:
    Kbm has no place in console gaming. I'm really not trying to play cod versus people that are just clicking on heads. Oh how skillfull you are...kbm is great for many games but fps... It's just not fair.

KB/M is what FPS was designed around, before consoles/Halo came around and bastardized the control with pathetic gamepads, makes you feel like you're breathing through a straw. I feel bad for people who grew up playing gamepad FPS games and never knew any better. This is why I never had and never will have any respect really for FPS designed for console/pads.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
    edited February 2017
    I don't know many people who had to choose between either a gamepad experience or a KBM experience. Myself and most people I grew up with had both. It's just video games, afterall, and the more options the better. Running from one game to another, on different systems, throughout a given year is fantastic entertainment; and gives way to many fun stories and memories.

But I guess if someone was forced to have only one experience, for whatever reason, then KBM gets my vote.

I do agree that KBM experiences feel much more sophisticated than a Gamepad experience. I feel that the general idea for a hardcore gamer is to have begun on a console, with a gamepad, and then graduated to a PC with KBM.

I have great memories of Halo on my XBox, but I do have much greater memories of BattleField 1942 with my PC and KBM. The Halo days were more about groups of people networking their XBox systems together and having all night group FPS sessions with everyone together. Whereas BattleField experiences often involved me playing in my room alone and talking to friends over Ventrilo. Still fun, but comparing the two seems more apples n' oranges.

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player

Zenbane said:
    I do agree that KBM experiences feel much more sophisticated than a Gamepad experience. I feel that the general idea for a hardcore gamer is to have begun on a console, with a gamepad, and then graduated to a PC with KBM.

No, us hardcore gamers grew up with just a keyboard, eventually we could hold down an arrow key rather than typing "Go West".  Years later we had gamepads when the NES came out, but they were pretty crappy, worse than using arrow keys and then, finally!  Game makers discovered the ultimate FPS control combination, mouse AND keyboard.  Nothing since then has surpassed it.  Some pathetic gamers were lured away to consoles, they're second class citizens, shunned by the good and proper PC gamers.

Children today have no understanding of real gaming. They can't handle the perfect control system, you just like to play with your tiny little sticks...Maybe that and playstation controller explains the popularity of multiplayer games, so you kids love to have your own little stick and a friend's stick to play with?
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    @TwoHedWlf i couldnt have said it better myself.

All hail the master race

This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    edited February 2017
    Everyone who owns a Rift has been holding a stick in each hand when they aren't holding a gamepad.

We need an updated graphic there to include PCVR gear @elboffor :p
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,148 Volunteer Moderator
    Tracked controllers are changing the game though.  Actually using both hands to aim a gun like you do in games like Onward is a real game-changer.  Looking down the sights to aim like you would in real life is pretty surreal.
    ^This. I love KB/M FPS gaming, but using tracked controllers to aim pistols and rifles takes it to a whole new level. I'm pretty damn good at popping off headshots with a mouse, but getting to test my actual hand-eye coordination with real aiming is a blast!

I'm a good shot with my air rifle, but I live in the city, so I rarely get a chance to shoot, and I've never shot pistols in real life. Doing it in VR, I feel like I'm honing an actual skill.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Building, holding, and re-loading the Sniper Rifle in Dead & Buried has been my favorite use of controllers to work a gun in all my years of gaming both with a Gamepad and a KB/M.

But let's be honest... Touch Controllers lean more towards Gamepad than KB/M.

Hell, the new Nintendo Switch transforms from Gamepad to hand Controllers now lol

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,148 Volunteer Moderator
    Zenbane said:
    But let's be honest... Touch Controllers lean more towards Gamepad than KB/M.
    As long as I'm not expected to aim with the thumbstick, I have no objection to its presence. Gamepads are great for all sorts of gaming, but they suck for FPS aiming.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    edited February 2017
    I've executed hundreds of Headshoot kills with: KB/M, Gamepad, and now Touch Controllers.

Moving the cursor with my thumb vs moving the cursor with my hand never felt like a massive leap for me. Both of them involve my hand (lol) so once I acquire that muscle memory it's just all fun n' games.

The higher level of sophistication with PC-based FPS gaming, for me, came from the Keyboard.

Touch Controllers are now my superior choice of all 3 options, by far.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    theres only one reason pads were pushed for FPS and it has nothing to do with game mechanics or ease of use. its simply about money and how to capitalize on the majority of gamers, which unfortunately are console users. thats why i dont really have a lot of respect for the console industry as a whole, everything is just a means to an end of getting rich, whereas one could argue that PC and VR development primarily seek to progress the science of gaming.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
    edited February 2017
    danknugz said:
    whereas one could argue that PC and VR development primarily seek to progress the science of gaming.
    Ah, that's a sentiment I can agree with 100%.

This discussion reminds me of a website I encountered several months ago, when I started playing Skyrim for the first time. I was Googling "Top Skyrim Mods for PC" and reading various blogs and articles. I was reading for over an hour when suddenly I encountered a legit article that had actually been "hacked" by what appears to be a disgruntled worker.

I really wish I would have saved it, or at least screenshot it. The entire article was legit but someone inserted a paragraph at the very beginning that said something like this:

NSFW
    Fuck all you cocksucking PC gaming loving bitches. PC's are for nerds that can't get laid. You all think you are so great but you probably can't even stand on your own two feet you fat fucks hahaha

Honest to God that was sitting right atop an otherwise legit article about Skyrim for PC. Only it was about 5+ sentences of far more vulgarity that went on to praise consoles. I will try my best to find it again, assuming it hasn't been corrected by now.

Point being, the only reason I tend to defend gamepads and consoles is because my own personal experiences with them were pleasant. Consoles brought together friends and family in very fun ways over the year. I remember when a friends husband had returned from a military tour, and saw my Xbox with the first Halo game sitting in the living room. He was more excited about that than the fact that he was back home. He stayed up and played it to completion in one sitting. It was hilarious, cause it was his first day back from well over a year.

I love the look the youngens get when they see me playing a PC game, and they are like, "wow that looks awesome but way too hard for me." Followed by the enormous gratitude they express when I take a break from my PC elitist experience to come down to battle them on a console. Two generations sharing the joy of competitive gaming with a common ground. I see only good things in that.

The only time I ever experience animosity towards console gamers... is when I make the mistake of reading wtf they said online. :s

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Everyone who owns a Rift has been holding a stick in each hand when they aren't holding a gamepad.

We need an updated graphic there to include PCVR gear @elboffor :p
    done and done ;)
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/49281/the-evolution-of-man

This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Wintermute
    After E3 this year I have to give some props to Microsoft.  It looks like they are finally moving in a more PC friendly direction as far as games are concerned.  Many of the new game titles for XBox one will not only be available on Windows 10, they will be cross-compatible as well!  I have been playing a lot of Gears of War 4 at 3440x1440 resolution with the graphics maxed out (holding over 90 FPS :open_mouth: ) and enjoying playing with my XBox One friends.  The windows store is finally starting to get some good game titles and E3 showed quite a few games we have to look forward to.  So far I have picked up Gears 4, Gears 1 Ultimate edition, and Killer Instinct Definitive Edition.

The party chat on PC works just like I have the XBox One, which is awesome compared to older windows versions that would allow you to chat one-on-one with XBox 360 and XBox users but not allow you to join parties or play games together.  I opted to get the PS4 for this generation of consoles so it is very nice being able to get some great XBox One games on the PC.  I just wish games like Halo 5 would have been included.

Hats off to MS though, E3 gave me a lot of hope for the future of PC gaming.

• jim1174jim1174 Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    Microsoft gave PC gamers the middle finger the day they purchased Bungie and made Halo an exclusive to Xbox