cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad form Oculus, why?

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
So, a week ago I messaged Oculus support expressing my concern about the addressing issues (people putting their suite no. on line 2 were missing their delivery's due to the number being excluded from their labels) and was told explicitly by both Kyle and Andres (cybereality) that the problem would be dealt with, and they would try to get my order updated accordingly.
After speaking with UPS today it appears that isn't the case, and it is a good thing I called as my order is not on time (due to an unrelated issue) and upon inquiring it turns out Oculus did not update my address as they stated they would.

I am ok with the fact that problems happen, and I can certainly forgive such a small slight (after all they never made any promises, and only said they would try). What I have a hard time forgiving however is the fact that I received no message from support letting me know that they could not in fact update my address, and advising me that I would have to do it myself.

I really hope this is just a result of some oversight on Oculus part, and it is not to be taken as an example of how Oculus sees it's relationship to it's customers. Really guys, an update would have been courteous. Had I not happened to phone UPS to deal with another matter and thought to ask about the address, or if I had been one of those many DevKit purchasers who didn't receive updates or tracking info prior to delivery, my Rift very well might have been returned while I remained (not so blissfully) unaware of the situation.

Please Oculus, try a little harder to fulfill your obligations to your customers; and if you cannot, please let us know so we don't have to deal with anymore unhappy surprises.

Thank You.
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan
7 REPLIES 7

flyinj
Explorer
My apartment number was left off my Rift as well.

I ended up having to take a car service up to Queens to retrieve the package.

Very bad form.

MrNexy
Explorer
This is a little disconcerting.

Did your package have your contact number on it ?
#48806 : It arrived , it is amazing and has so much potential ! Bring it on !! My Game :) https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=785&start=20

flyinj
Explorer
No contact info. I got home from work on the day it was delivered and there was a UPS note on my door saying that the package had an apartment number that didn't exist in the building. I wrote on the back of the slip that the package was for me, and leave it in the lobby.

Got back from work the next day, and the slip was gone and a new slip was there that said the package had the wrong apartment on it again. I wrote on the back of this one "please ring my apartment number" and left the apartment number to ring on the note.

I was off work the next day, and waited around forever. I finally went down to my lobby to find my old note gone and a new one saying the exact same thing, and that was the last delivery attempt and I'd have to go to the UPS customer requisition office in Queens to get my package. They didn't even try to ring my apartment. After about an hour and a half of taking a car service up there and waiting in line, I finally got the package. It didn't have any apartment number on it, just the building address.

It was seriously the most hassle I've ever had getting a package at my apartment.

MrNexy
Explorer
Where I live if Oculus decide to use Hong Kong Post or EMS it comes through the government postal system , if you don't have a phone number on the package it will be returned regardless of any other shipping information on the package(As has been my experience on a number of occasions when receiving packages from China) .

Naturally I contacted support shortly after I ordered my rift to let them know , I was prompted to add the information to the shipping details so I added it on the second line (in addition to already having provided my contact number elsewhere).

I do hope that they use ups or at least provide me with the tracking number (prior to the package arriving preferably) , I suppose only time will tell. I'm sorry to hear that you guys have had such a hard time of things 😞 At least you have your rifts and can get to developing ! 🙂
#48806 : It arrived , it is amazing and has so much potential ! Bring it on !! My Game :) https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=785&start=20

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
"MrNexy" wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that you guys have had such a hard time of things 😞 At least you have your rifts and can get to developing ! 🙂
I don't have my Rift quite yet due to an error in customs apparently, it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. That is why I called and thought to myself I should probably make sure they got my address correct; Had there been no error, I would have just trusted Oculus word that they would fix the issue and my Rift may have been held up in the same way as flyinj.

One might be apt to say 'no harm no foul' but in light of the many other mistakes and errors Oculus has made, I would probably be more prone to picking a more established company were such a thing to present itself. Damn it's hard saying that; two months ago I was a blind defender of these guys, and had somebody dissed Oculus on the street to my face I might have been prone to threatening to punch them in the nose. 😄 (Just joking, I would have been annoyed though.)

I'm not saying I don't respect Oculus for what they have done, I do. I am very thankful for their hard work and determination, and I recognize VR wouldn't be where it is at without them. I think they are trying hard and I think that everything will smooth out well enough eventually, but it would be nice to deal with a company that already has it's ducks in a row. I've never been left to figure out on my own whether or not my package has the right details on it before, and I couldn't imagine any established business neglecting to notify it's customers of such problems ahead of time.

Perhaps I will be more forgiving tomorrow afternoon when I am sitting underwater watching sharks and whales swim by me as I caress myself lovingly in the darkness after a glass or two of Vodka. 😉
Yep, sounds about right. 8-)
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

cybereality
Grand Champion
The problem was dealt with, and new orders do not have the issue. That is totally true.

In general, there is nothing wrong with putting the apartment on the second address line. What happened was that there was some error, and the second address line got deleted when a file was being converted. This only effected a small number of packages, but of course is a big deal to those few people that couldn't get delivery.

In the cases where a customer contacted us with the problem, we have spoke with the carrier and changed it to the correct address. I don't believe your order was one of the ones with the problem but, if it was, then I apologize.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Frito
Explorer