cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no Wire management stand for the Rift?

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
Is oculus going to design some kind of pulley system adjustable stand with the Rift. Never heard anything about a better way to keep your wires at bay, but it just seems like an obvious accessory that the majority of Oculus purchasers would also opt in too buy.
7 REPLIES 7

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
Isn't there only one wire, though? Not much to manage.

itypo
Honored Guest
Well yes even if there is only one cable it needs to be managed when doing standing up experiences. (or in something like the Omni) I think this is a nice piece for 3rd party hardware suppliers to step in.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The best way to manage the cable is to have it going from above downwards on some kind of spring loaded reel.

Though there would need to be some way to extend the cable safely away from the user to prevent them from being able to strangle themselves, and would need to be tensioned to represent zero resistance.

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
Exactly I don’t know if they are changing it but the wire on the DK2 sucks, it tangles and curls up on itself. I am always messing with the cord, trying to get it straight, trying to stop having it pull on the side of my head. Half the reason is you want a longer cord, but with a longer cord you also want some way to manage it better.

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
Flashed in my head Woman sitting around those hair curler machines.
An attachment you put in the back of your office chair that is over your head, not only does it manage the wire but it will pick up and hold the rift itself. When you want to use the rift you put your hand over your head and bring the rift down to your face, when you are done you pull the rift off and it will float back up above you. :geek:

HiThere_
Superstar
I think the plan is to use the cable for haptic feedback :

benjybobs
Honored Guest
I've been thinking about wire management, I were wondering if a plunger on the ceiling would be a good idea, maybe also a wire that could be on a spring loaded roller in which it could ajust the lengh, just as long as it didn't stop your head movement. Maybe they could incorperate an electronic adjustere which works with the head tracking to keep the wires at the right lengh. Just a few idea's.