Feasibility of VR suit w electro-/magnetorheological fluids — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Feasibility of VR suit w electro-/magnetorheological fluids

multimedialmultimedial Posts: 32
Brain Burst
edited December 2015 in General
Hi there,

after fiddling 5 minutes to squeeze in my idea into the subject line, I was wondering if someone here as any experience using electrorheological or magnetorheological liquids and could eventually hint me at the cost of these, their eventual toxicity and the voltage/current/magnetic field needed to stiffen the liquid...

Comments

• AshlesAshles Posts: 515
    Art3mis
    Interesting idea

One additional consideration for such suits I believe would be heat dissipation - body suits covered in haptic foam/gel/fluid/sensors etc are going to get very uncomfortable very quickly unless there's a way to cool/ventilate.
    "Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."
  • DisdroidDisdroid Posts: 562
    Considering the fact that some people are already experimenting with magnetorheological fluids as body armor, it seems that the eventual realisation of a haptic suit is at least possible. However I wouldn't bet on seeing a prototype within the next five years and therefore no pricetag. If you want one today, you'll have to invent one yourself.
    People tend to believe what they want to be true.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,505 Valuable Player
    No need to have a phase changing material as a suit with precision air spots could in theory do the same and be a lot safer than something field with a fluid that can be very toxic.