New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DK1 & DK2 preorderers.. any additional rewards for non kicks

captaintripscaptaintrips Posts: 313
Art3mis
edited January 2016 in General
Just curious if there will be any discount or reward for folks who preordered both the DK1 and DK2 (preordered the dk1 through oculus in early November 2012 and preordered the DK2 on launch day).

Wishful thinking? or perhaps a possibilty? Not expecting anything for free, but a discount/rebate program would be nice for the rest of us early adopters :)

Comments

• soxfan335soxfan335 Posts: 131
    Hiro Protagonist
    hear hear
  • VuceVuce Posts: 53
    Brain Burst
    Thank you for creating this thread, fanboys won't like it but it had to be posted. I absolutely agree, and will reiterate your comment on " I'm not looking for anything free " but a discount for early adopters would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased my DK1 around the same time as you. Some of us want to support and help projects, but not all of us have a limitless disposable income or have daddy's credit card buying us stuff, so we have to save, which takes time. Thus some of us didn't get a chance to make the kickstarter but still felt the need to pledge.

We can only but ask captaintrips and hope for the best. But chances are we will be ostracised and mocked for wanting a little recognition.
  • EisernSchildEisernSchild Posts: 198
    Art3mis
    You may call me a "fanboy" but i really understand them to only give this to backers since they promised in their KS-campaign.

I also did order my DK1 one month after the KS-campaign to a very fair price. They did not promise anything to me so i do not expect anything now. I missed the KS-campaign -> my fault.
  • captaintripscaptaintrips Posts: 313
    Art3mis
    edited January 2016
    Vuce wrote:
    Thank you for creating this thread, fanboys won't like it but it had to be posted. I absolutely agree, and will reiterate your comment on " I'm not looking for anything free " but a discount for early adopters would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased my DK1 around the same time as you. Some of us want to support and help projects, but not all of us have a limitless disposable income or have daddy's credit card buying us stuff, so we have to save, which takes time. Thus some of us didn't get a chance to make the kickstarter but still felt the need to pledge.

We can only but ask captaintrips and hope for the best. But chances are we will be ostracised and mocked for wanting a little recognition.

Why should we be ostracised? All the preorder excitement. All the support. I've done endless youtube videos with my rift. Patticipated in the "show a rift in your city" and had, i dunno,, 50 or 60 random people just as excited to take a glimpse at the future show up at my door,played about every game and demo I could find, kickstarted every accessory (virtuix, controlvr, leap, priorvr, etc... none of which has even arrived yet). We've been nothing but extremely eager and overjoyed to show our support despite everyone saying "VR will never comeback". And now here it is.

Seems like forever ago I was looking around Tuscany in my dk1, bouncing a basketball. It was such a surreal feeling... I knew, despite the nay say and early dev kit limitations... it was the future of everything.

Heh, I still remember the unofficial public spreadsheet where all of us would enter our shipping numbers to try to calculate dates and orders, anxiously awaiting on our shipmemts, and rooting for anyone ahead of us who got them.

Been through it all just like all the others... twice.

Like I said, not asking for free. And any thing that Oculus can do to help us out, whether it's a deposit preorder or rebate for our prior lotalty, wold be greatly appreciated.
  • trgTysontrgTyson Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    edited January 2016
    Doh! Did a small contribution during the kickstarter and purchased during the pre-order phase (DK1 and DK2)...I knew I should have ordered during the kickstarter!

A small discount of somekind would be awesome, but not going to hold my breath and not getting one won't deter me..going to wear out my F5 tomorrow morning :)

Good on Oculus for rewarding the kickstarter DK1 backers and the Oculus team for being active on forums/reddit! :)
    Brain Burst
    Vuce wrote:

Why should we be ostracised? All the preorder excitement. All the support. I've done endless youtube videos with my rift. Patticipated in the "show a rift in your city" and had, i dunno,, 50 or 60 random people just as excited to take a glimpse at the future show up at my door,played about every game and demo I could find, kickstarted every accessory (virtuix, controlvr, leap, priorvr, etc... none of which has even arrived yet). We've been nothing but extremely eager and overjoyed to show our support despite everyone saying "VR will never comeback". And now here it is.

Heh, I still remember the unofficial public spreadsheet where all of us would enter our shipping numbers to try to calculate dates and orders, anxiously awaiting on our shipmemts, and rooting for anyone ahead of us who got them.

Been through it all just like all the others... twice.

Like I said, not asking for free. And any thing that Oculus can do to help us out, whether it's a deposit preorder or rebate for our prior lotalty, wold be greatly appreciated.

Exactly, why should we be ostracised just for asking for a little recognition as the kickstarters have got. But it seems there are a few on these forums that want to jump down your throat at just the mention of asking for a small discount.

Why do we have to be lynched just for a simple request? I made that simple suggestion in another thread and they are on me like sharks in a feeding tank.
    Art3mis
    You may call me a "fanboy" but i really understand them to only give this to backers since they promised in their KS-campaign.

I also did order my DK1 one month after the KS-campaign to a very fair price. They did not promise anything to me so i do not expect anything now. I missed the KS-campaign -> my fault.

You sir are correct. They owe us preorders outside the kickstarter nothing. Zilch. Zero.

But it sure be nice to see a loyalty rebate for those of us who did.

Won't change my opinion of oculus if they don't. But again, it'd be sweet if they did :)
  • ZimtowerZimtower Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    The amount of kickstarter envy on this forum is infuriating.
    Brain Burst

You sir are correct. They owe us preorders outside the kickstarter nothing. Zilch. Zero.

But it sure be nice to see a loyalty rebate for those of us who did.

Won't change my opinion of oculus if they don't. But again, it'd be sweet if they did :)

Couldn't of put it better myself.
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    Vuce wrote:
    Exactly, why should we be ostracised just for asking for a little recognition as the kickstarters have got. But it seems there are a few on these forums that want to jump down your throat at just the mention of asking for a small discount.

Why do we have to be lynched just for a simple request? I made that simple suggestion in another thread and they are on me like sharks in a feeding tank.
    We differ greatly on the definition of "ostracized". We have a similar difference on "lynched" as well. Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I'm doing either of those things. You thing you deserve something for nothing and I disagree. Apparently that makes me a fanboy out to lynch you. Bit dramatic don't you think? You bought a product and got said product. That's the end of it. You didn't financially back Oculus, you didn't support Oculus, you didn't make anything happen for Oculus. You bought a product from them that they made no money on. That supposedly now means they should further reward you. I disagree and as I said, I bought the dk1 early, bought a dk2 on day one and have a Gear VR, but I don't think that entitles me to anything. I gave Oculus money and thy gave me a product. That's how it works.

You're free to complain all you want, but you must know that if you express yourself on a public forum that a response is often imminent. It doesn't mean that you're being persecuted...it just means that you're on a public forum where people talk to each other.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    Funny how it was 24 hr Privileges on pre-orders, Now they have been very generous and given the very early adopters a free CV1, Now everyone wants a discount.

BTW I'm not affected either way. Don't currently own an Oculus rift, So don't benefit from any discounts given or not.

But I will be sat by my P.C. at 4pm GMT.

Fingers crossed.
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
    Brain Burst
    snappahead wrote:
    Vuce wrote:

We differ greatly on the definition of "ostracized". We have a similar difference on "lynched" as well. Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I'm doing either of those things. You thing you deserve something for nothing and I disagree. Apparently that makes me a fanboy out to lynch you. Bit dramatic don't you think? You bought a product and got said product. That's the end of it. You didn't financially back Oculus, you didn't support Oculus, you didn't make anything happen for Oculus. You bought a product from them that they made no money on. That supposedly now means they should further reward you. I disagree and as I said, I bought the dk1 early, bought a dk2 on day one and have a Gear VR, but I don't think that entitles me to anything. I gave Oculus money and thy gave me a product. That's how it works.

You're free to complain all you want, but you must know that if you express yourself on a public forum that a response is often imminent. It doesn't mean that you're being persecuted...it just means that you're on a public forum where people talk to each other.

I'm sorry, where have I stated I want something for nothing? Even in this thread I quote the OP about not wanting something for free. I'm suggesting perhaps a discount for supporting the project by purchasing a Dev kit like the kickstarters have. I don't want to hear your details of the kickstarters were pledging on an idea blah blah. When I purchased a rift kit, they weren't making a loss from that purchase, they gained advertisement for the rift from videos which would of cost them money, the community as a whole did the selling for them, a lot of the dev work was done through the community. Simply purchasing the dev kit even without using it to develop on still put money in their hands to further their own development, if you honestly think they were making a loss on each unit sold you have your head in the clouds. You are really missing the point.

Is it really such a bad thing to ask for a discount for purchasing a dev kit? It wouldn't of been a problem if the kickstarters didn't get one, but I feel that my contribution is worthy of some sort of discount and recognition as much as the kickstarters. You don't, so you feel that your contribution is worthless, that's your thing.
    Art3mis
    The point of this thread was to merely ask a question, and not to start an argument on who is/isn't entitled to anything.

I wasn't saying "gimme a discount because I preordered your kits, too!" but I'm simply inquiring if there is any such rebate and politely suggesting, if not, that it would be kind gesture. No hard feelings if "No" is the answer. I'd merely say "Well, gotta pay full price then." and then move on with my life. Never hurts to ask though.

if theres further argument beyond this, then I kindly ask the mods to lock this thread.
    Brain Burst
    The point of this thread was to merely ask a question, and not to start an argument on who is/isn't entitled to anything.

I wasn't saying "gimme a discount because I preordered your kits, too!" but I'm simply inquiring if there is any such rebate and politely suggesting, if not, that it would be kind gesture. No hard feelings if "No" is the answer.

if theres further argument beyond this, then I kindly ask the mods to lock this thread.

Exactly, a simple suggestion, but we get jumped on just for uttering such a thing. :roll:
    Trinity
    Isn't a discount "something" though?

I can't say if it's bad or not, but it smells of self-entitlement and I'm not a big fan. I'm running out of things to add unfortunately.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    Trinity

I wasn't saying "gimme a discount because I preordered your kits, too!" but I'm simply inquiring if there is any such rebate and politely suggesting, if not, that it would be kind gesture. No hard feelings if "No" is the answer. I'd merely say "Well, gotta pay full price then." and then move on with my life. Never hurts to ask though.

The fact that the question is being asked suggests that it's believed to be deserved and that's what I take issue with. If they were going to offer some kind of deal for others, I'm sure they would have said so.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    Brain Burst
    snappahead wrote:

Does it matter? We are merely asking if it's possible and making a suggestion for it because we think it would be nice for us and the rest of the DK1 adopters to have. It's not self entitlement, it's merely suggestion a possibility of it. If it happens, that would be really awesome and for those who are currently saying it's "bad" will probably be also thrilled with the thought of a discount whether they think it's bad or not. If they don't take on the suggestion then that's not a problem either, chances are we will all buy a headset anyway.
    Trinity
    Vuce wrote:
    snappahead wrote:

Does it matter? We are merely asking if it's possible and making a suggestion for it because we think it would be nice for us and the rest of the DK1 adopters to have. It's not self entitlement, it's merely suggestion a possibility of it. If it happens, that would be really awesome and for those who are currently saying it's "bad" will probably be also thrilled with the thought of a discount whether they think it's bad or not. If they don't take on the suggestion then that's not a problem either, chances are we will all buy a headset anyway.
    I feel like we're going in circles a bit. If the discount was offered, I would of course accept it, but there's a difference between accepting a discount and behaving entitled to one. You may not think you're behaving that way, but that's the way it appears to me.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • obzenobzen Posts: 713
    Nexus 6
    People bought DK1 and DK2 as products. Oculus owes nothing.

Whatever you did to support VR is on you.

It'd be nice sure, but I'm not expecting hand outs.

Maybe a T-Shirt. With the old Logo. That'd be nice.
    DK1 FREAK...Ntbt8Ya.gif
    Brain Burst
    snappahead wrote:
    Vuce wrote:
    snappahead wrote:

I feel like we're going in circles a bit. If the discount was offered, I would of course accept it, but there's a difference between accepting a discount and behaving entitled to one. You may not think you're behaving that way, but that's the way it appears to me.

Behaving entitled to a discount would be to DEMAND one. Nobody is DEMANDING ANYTHING. Yes I would agree with you, if someone demands a discount or a free Rift then yes you're right they are self entitled assheads. But this is not the case, we are suggesting, hey you gave those guys a discount for helping you out, any chance we could as well? I mean it would be really nice.

You cannot tell me if Palmer announced tomorrow that all people who purchased the DK1 and 2 will get a 5% discount as a way of saying thank you wouldn't be pleased and very impressed? I know I would.

I think what we are saying is, we would like a little taste of that appreciation, yeah we aren't entitled to it, but we would appreciate it, just as Palmer appreciated the kickstarters donating. It's nice to be appreciated, a little gesture would go a long way, that's all we are suggesting. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Trinity
    There's that word again.."appreciation". What would Oculus be appreciating us for? Buying a kit that they sold at cost? We didn't help them, so why should they give us anything?
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    Brain Burst
    snappahead wrote:
    There's that word again.."appreciation". What would Oculus be appreciating us for? Buying a kit that they sold at cost? We didn't help them, so why should they give us anything?

I think you just like arguing. I'll take the higher ground and move on, it's like talking to a wall.

Anyway moving on, hopefully they will listen to your suggestion captaintrips, we can only but keep our fingers crossed.
    Trinity
    Vuce wrote:
    snappahead wrote:

I think you just like arguing. I'll take the higher ground and move on, it's like talking to a wall.

Anyway moving on, hopefully they will listen to your suggestion captaintrips, we can only but keep our fingers crossed.
    LOL...I do indeed. Especially when I'm right;) I'll cross my fingers for you too.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You guys are free to discuss the matter, but please remain respectful and calm.

This thread is getting aggressive, and I don't like where it's going. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Trinity

This thread is getting aggressive, and I don't like where it's going.
    I hear you. I think we're behaving pretty well TBH. It's all in good fun.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    You guys are free to discuss the matter, but please remain respectful and clam.

Could I suggest a BIG sticky thread about this topic instead of 5 or 6 or whatever?
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
    Brain Burst

Exactly why I took the higher ground and moved on, as stated in another thread by elmuerko, there seems to be some aggressive asshats around here.
    Brain Burst

Could I suggest a BIG sticky thread about this topic instead of 5 or 6 or whatever?

Might be a good idea, I can see this becoming a more wider issue as word gets about in regards to kickstarter free rifts lol
    The forum will become dotted with more and more of the same topic.
    Trinity
    Vuce wrote:

Exactly why I took the higher ground and moved on, as stated in another thread by elmuerko, there seems to be some aggressive asshats around here.
    LOL, I love me some irony. Good game, Vuce.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    Art3mis

Cyber... feel free to close. Questioned has already been posed, both sides of the argument have been made. See no reason to continue the debate any further at this point, as come tommorow morning, we will have our answer either way.

Also, good luck and best wishes for you all at Team Oculus and VR :) Can't wait!!! Be a sleepless night, that's for sure
This discussion has been closed.