cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Standing Members here say the Price Sucks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus are reading all these posts?

Noticed that they are from people who have frequented here for not a few days or months even but years....

We are the VR enthusiasts, your comunity... there aren't any other people out there at the moment you can market to....

So why out price the only people that can use the Rift?? Totally Alienating your market....

Talk about the most stupid inane decision EVER!
74 REPLIES 74

Vallie
Protege
I worry the more indie developers may not resume/update their projects simply because of this.

Emvy-
Honored Guest
already read reports on other forums that DEVS are pushing down their projects release date cause they fear a low market and don't want to loose their "launch momentum" as that only comes once.

amygdala
Honored Guest
You should sit down then

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
"vallie" wrote:
I worry the more indie developers may not resume/update their projects simply because of this.

This! God....... I just can't... they are going to kill VR. Please no. 😞
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

aabel
Honored Guest
"vallie" wrote:

Why? A niche is how Indies butter their bread. Mass market is dominated by the multinational corps.

What I see with the Rift is people with money who need content for their new device. While the user base for the Rift may not be impressive to the likes of EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc. It's enough for smaller studios.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"RorschachPhoenix" wrote:
"vallie" wrote:

This! God....... I just can't... they are going to kill VR. Please no. 😞

It's too late.... VR as we thought it might be... is i'm afraid dead as of today.

Only Mobile and Console markets look to have any decent market share.

Lemming1970
Rising Star
Tim I think everyone knows where you stand now. How many posts you need to get your point across.
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Lemming1970" wrote:
Tim I think everyone knows where you stand now. How many posts you need to get your point across.

You don't have to read them you know 😄

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
Here's the thing: a lower price right now wouldn't increase sales one bit. They are still getting slammed by sales even at the high price, people ordering now won't get theirs until May or June. So all a lower price would do is push shipments back even further. That to me makes me think they priced the Rift correctly, even if it is more expensive than anyone thought it would be. Also, the only people who can use the things have to have some fairly top-of-the-line computers, so regardless of price it's basically an enthusiast-only device right now.

So let's talk about the future, when shipments are about to finish going out to all the enthusiasts willing to pay $600 - let's say 6 months, around June or July. Then maybe they can lower the price some (due to production scale and more experience making the things, finding cheaper ways to make them), then 6 months later next January start preorders for a CV2 at $600 but keep selling CV1 at a cheap price. With that plan in a year there would be a cheap option for people who want it, by then there will be plenty of games and apps available for it, and computer equipment will be cheaper as well, so all in all a good setup for people who want to pay less. This would allow Oculus to grow the VR market, and if repeated will eventually make them available for (and wanted by) the masses.