New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus CV1 compatibility with Nvidia GTX 980 M

etienne1968etienne1968 Posts: 4
NerveGear
edited March 2016 in General
please help anybody ?
I purchased the cutting edge MSI laptop GT80 TITAN dual Nvidia GTX 980M SLI in august 2015, thinking it was Oculus CV1 compatible. :evil:
I was about to preorder the CV1 but I need to know officially if my rig is ok or no ??
Apparently it doesn't seem to be.... I'm so pissed off considering the cost of my laptop : 4700$. The retailer assured me it was compatible (minimum specs being Nvidia GTX 970). :oops:
Thank you for any help....

Comments

• steveoz32steveoz32 Posts: 350
    Art3mis
    It will probably be ok. But keep in mind a mobile GTX 980 is somewhere between 960 and 970.

SLI may cause issues, but if Nvidia don't release VR compatible drivers for SLI, and Oculus runtime really is that shit that it will never support SLI, then they deserve to go bust.

I would say get it, try it, if they fail so hard that 980m SLI can't run it, well, they deserve to fail themselves.

Worst case, sell the rift on ebay for the same price you bought it for.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Try the Compatibility Tool shown here: https://shop.oculus.com

I can tell you that most laptops will not work though.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Art3mis
    Try the Compatibility Tool shown here: https://shop.oculus.com

I can tell you that most laptops will not work though.

Cyber, I appreciate all of your help on the forums but, have you tried a 980m SLI laptop test rig? Have you tried a 780 GTX SLI desktop test rig with CV1?
  • etienne1968etienne1968 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Thank you for your assistance gentlemen. I used the compatibility tool available on the preorder shop page. My video card Nvidia GTX 980M is declared not compatible. But this tool is meaningless to me as it doesn't reflect any further driver update nor Oculus plan to troubleshoot such compatibility issues... :roll:
    Art3mis
    Thank you for your assistance gentlemen. I used the compatibility tool available on the preorder shop page. My video card Nvidia GTX 980M is declared not compatible. But this tool is meaningless to me as it doesn't reflect any further driver update nor Oculus plan to troubleshoot such compatibility issues... :roll:

I'm of the opinion that if you already have a powerful machine, and are forking out £500 on a rift, then there is absolutely no justification to get a lesser machine just because the CV1 isn't ready to utilise common consumer products that use SLI or older more powerful tech.

A 980m SLI is 25% faster than a 980 desktop GPU.

It sounds as though from everything that I have heard that oculus runtime and drivers suck at the moment, so, powerful machine older than 9xx series or multi GPU machines will not be used to their full potential.

In reality it will mean some hiccups, some demo's might refuse to run well, others may crash, but then again we always have compatibility issues on PC's. If you want one just buy it, and if it doesn't run on your laptop then sell it for the same money on ebay. I point blank refuse to change my GPU for an inferior product. There is no single GPU on the market that can beat my system, so therefore there is no way I am downgrading my existing surround setup and junking my screens just to play a rift.

If it works for me great, if it doesn't, I'll flog it and wait for another product that is better optimised for enthusiast hardware / systems.
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    Wintermute
    Steveoz32 not sure where you get the information from that a 980m in SLI is faster then a 980 Gpu.. when the 980m is already weaker then a GTX 970.

it is still possible to run VR on them though in SLI with standard settings. OCing would make it a bit faster.
    Personally no, but I've seen many reports on the forum with people having issues.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Art3mis
    :ugeek:
    Syrellaris wrote:
    Steveoz32 not sure where you get the information from that a 980m in SLI is faster then a 980 Gpu.. when the 980m is already weaker then a GTX 970.

it is still possible to run VR on them though in SLI with standard settings. OCing would make it a bit faster.

970SLI is faster than a 980?

The 980m is somewhere between a 960 and 970. Bench marks I have seen before show a 25%ish boost over desktop 980 when sLI 980m's are used.

A quick google and I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-E7FyV14E8 but there are other better comparisons out there. Check the core specs of the GPU's also.
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    Wintermute
    Ofcourse Desktop 970 SLI is faster then a single Desktop 980. However the 980m is weaker then a single 970 by quite a lot actually. It is more on par witha 960 then close to a 970. SLI 980M might push it slightly over a desktop 980(mostly thanks to the higher GDDR5 speeds) but not in any shape or way by 25%.

Even so though, the 980m in SLI are more then sufficient for VR.
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,102
    3Jane
    Keep in mind the laptops not working with it is not only a performance issue, but also a compatibility issue.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift
    *HDMI 1.3 video output supporting a 297MHz clock via a direct output architecture
    The last bullet point is tricky: many discrete GPU laptops have their external video output connected to the integrated GPU and drive the external output via hardware and software mechanisms that can’t support the Rift. Since this isn’t something that can be determined by reading the specs of a laptop, we are working on how to identify the right systems. Note that almost no current laptops have the GPU performance for the recommended spec, though upcoming mobile GPUs may be able to support this level of performance.
    Art3mis
    Keep in mind the laptops not working with it is not only a performance issue, but also a compatibility issue.

*HDMI 1.3 video output supporting a 297MHz clock via a direct output architecture
    The last bullet point is tricky: many discrete GPU laptops have their external video output connected to the integrated GPU and drive the external output via hardware and software mechanisms that can’t support the Rift. Since this isn’t something that can be determined by reading the specs of a laptop, we are working on how to identify the right systems. Note that almost no current laptops have the GPU performance for the recommended spec, though upcoming mobile GPUs may be able to support this level of performance.

Fair comment, of course if Oculus had someone actually specifying that two days ago that would of been a good help lol.

Never used any of my laptops that had dedicated GPU on external screens, so can't comment.
  • How about the MSI GT80? I've never turned on the discrete graphics.
  • BendakBendak Posts: 60
    Brain Burst
    980M SLI is technically fast enough, but the problem is SLI support. Lots of games are finicky with it, or don't support it properly, meaning you have to only use one of the 980m cards. I don't even know if the way SLI renders could present any problems for VR otherwise? I know microstutter can be an issue with SLI (or at least it used to be, which is why I stopped using it). A single 980m is not fast enough.

Assuming the games support SLI, and your HDMI output is compatible, it probably works (since they don't artificially restrict you from using it based on hardware). You could try contacting MSI and asking for specs on the HDMI port to make sure it supports "297MHz clock via a direct output architecture" (whatever that means).

Also make sure the compatibility tool says your USB ports are compatible. Some USB controllers don't work well apparently, and in a laptop you don't have an option to change those.
  • edgewiseedgewise Posts: 193
    My Eurocom X8 is not compatible apparently, shame it is working quite well with the DK2.

But my desktop is compatible so no trouble (plus the fact that ordering the oculus is not possible for SE asia apparently) .
  • Keep in mind the laptops not working with it is not only a performance issue, but also a compatibility issue.

If you have 2 cards in sli you probably dont have optimus and it should be fine. Nvidia is working on vr sli support so i am confident you will be fine. I have 970m sli and think it will be fine when correct drivers are availible.
  • thatinkjarthatinkjar Posts: 27
    NerveGear
    please help anybody ?
    I purchased the cutting edge MSI laptop GT80 TITAN dual Nvidia GTX 980M SLI in august 2015, thinking it was Oculus CV1 compatible. :evil:
    I was about to preorder the CV1 but I need to know officially if my rig is ok or no ??
    Apparently it doesn't seem to be.... I'm so pissed off considering the cost of my laptop : 4700$. The retailer assured me it was compatible (minimum specs being Nvidia GTX 970). :oops:

Just to let you know, DK2 works great with the GT80. I don't know if CV1 will work, but I hope so :)
  • AntDX3162AntDX3162 Posts: 839
    Trinity
    Rather than get a new PC laptop or desktop you can just prob invest in the flagship Pascal mobile GPU from ebay.

Just sell the 980m on ebay and spend $1k on card than spend $2k on a new laptop or desktop.
    facebook.com/AntDX316
  • hamishtodd1hamishtodd1 Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    According to GPU boss, I notice that the 980M is closely comparable in power to an R9 290. But is that only along axes that don't matter for VR? Or is it even a case of the tool noticing that it is an M, saying "probably a laptop so probably optimus so nope"?

(also the compatability tool isn't an indication of "games will not even run" is it? It's just a recommended level to get the genuine VR experience)
    It's not only about power but mostly about compatibility issues caused by mobile GPU design. For example, if the machine uses Optimus, then there is a good chance the headset will fail to work at all.
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    I'll say it before cybereality has to again......

SLi is not supported.

M gpu's are not supported.
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
    Trinity
    please help anybody ?

Just wait for NVidia Pascal coming out prob Q4 2015. Wing it until then.
    facebook.com/AntDX316
  • 2oonLink2oonLink Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    Don't listen to anyone saying M classes arent supporting, including cyber reality. Its only because the graphic cards on most laptops are integrated and have optimus, msi gt80 does NOT have optimus, and it does in fact work with the SINGLE gtx 980m, that being said- the sli is not yet supported (it will still use one of your cards though). Also the msi gt80 is upgradable to the gtx 980 desktop (non m) as its one of the supported oculus-compatible laptops on nvidia's website.
    P.S Any laptop that supports external gsync is oculus rift ready, gsync doesnt support optimus so its an instant giveaway.
    Sources: WIll update links to support this when I get home later on tonight, but most of this is anecdotal and firsthand experience. (acer predator 15 gtx 980m, works perfectly with the rift up to today) :)
    Just to clarify, "not supported" and "not working" are different things. So when I say mobile gpus are not supported, it means it may not work and you will receive no help or tech support if it doesn't work. It actually may work, for example if you find one of the few laptops without Optimus or whatever. But you're on your own at that point.
  • 2oonLink2oonLink Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just to clarify, "not supported" and "not working" are different things. So when I say mobile gpus are not supported, it means it may not work and you will receive no help or tech support if it doesn't work. It actually may work, for example if you find one of the few laptops without Optimus or whatever. But you're on your own at that point.

Gotcha, but I do feel someone should make a sticky thread clarifying
    "For everyone that wants an oculus ready laptop- they're not supported but ALL of them without optimus and a gtx980m or above are confirmed running"
    this also won't change anytime soon because at that point, theres no other internal differences between a gaming laptop with these specs and a gaming desktop gtx970 and above besides the casing/how the monitors are connected. (at least nothing that should make or break it with the oculus rift)
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,102
    3Jane
    2oonLink wrote:

Gotcha, but I do feel someone should make a sticky thread clarifying
    "For everyone that wants an oculus ready laptop- they're not supported but ALL of them without optimus and a gtx980m or above are confirmed running"
    this also won't change anytime soon because at that point, theres no other internal differences between a gaming laptop with these specs and a gaming desktop gtx970 and above besides the casing/how the monitors are connected. (at least nothing that should make or break it with the oculus rift)
    You can't say ALL of anything at all is confirmed working - in fact, right now you can't say anything is confirmed working, unless one of the developers with a CV1 has confirmed it. Also, a 980m benchmarks as slower than a 970, so it doesn't even meet the minimum specs that Oculus put out.

And if there's a sticky, that would mean official support, which Oculus obviously isn't ready to give.
  • owenwpowenwp Posts: 681 Oculus Start Member
    There just isn't any spec you will find on the back of the box that tells you if a laptop will work with the Rift or not. That is true even of the DK2, which doesn't have any of the special USB requirements.

Some laptops with Optimus do work, some without it don't. Laptops use a lot of custom parts to make them smaller, and they don't tell you what performance compromises they made.
    Yes, it's hard to confirm which laptops work as they are all subtly different.

If anything, the desktop GTX 980 laptops have a good chance of working and those may actually get some support.
  • hamishtodd1hamishtodd1 Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    980m benchmarks as slower than a 970, so it doesn't even meet the minimum specs that Oculus put out.
    Yeah but they are as fast as a 290, the other "minimum" http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290-v ... e-GTX-980M
    Trinity
    People need to understand it cost the company money to put people to get things to work under warranty.

It clogs lines so the wait time for people who do need help w/ things that are supported end up in a 45 minute queue.

The easiest way when things aren't 100% solid like putting a 17mm socket on a 17mm bolt instead of SAE socket to 17mm and trying to get it to work they will just say we can't help you (you are on your own).

It's like you want to use your lego set for something else but everyone's set comes w/ different bricks. You might not have enough bricks to complete what needs to be made. Some people might have more bricks than others then it will work but some won't. Asking help from legos they won't know who has enough and who doesn't. Easier for management to say not supported so like 50 steps would equal just 1.

If you know you can't ski w/o skis and you choose to go down with your body, depending on how your body is not everyone will skii as efficient downhill or something. It's probably more of like trying to fit a rod in a hole but everyone's rod wasn't made under the same standard. It's impossible to tell what and what not would fit w/o any measurements to work with.

Just realize if Oculus doesn't work with your laptop then it won't work. If it works then it will. It might work in some apps and in others no depending on how the app was created w/ the SDK, programming techniques wise.
    facebook.com/AntDX316
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,989
    Wintermute
    VR barley works half the time even with "supported" devices. Attempting to get VR working with a laptop is a road you dont want to go down, unless you see spending at least half your spare time fiddling with crap and having it not work the very next reboot with the exact same settings, with no logical explanation at all, then all of a sudden 2 weeks later you try it again and it works. Then all of a sudden it stops working again. Ad nauseam.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?