cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OculusRift for Smartphone ?

Tgaud
Honored Guest
Hello,

Just to inform ppl here that there were a lot of news on european forums after the interview to the Edge magazine.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/oculus-rift-aiming-for-2014-release-consoles-not-a-focus-but-mobile/

And, for what i could read, it was a real disappointment.

I usually often see different opinion when an idea is proposed, some are agree with it, some others aren't..

But its one of the first time that I can see so many ppl being "against".

And for a lot of reason :

_Occulus rift is not fit for mobility, playing in the street.. only for playing at home.
_As long as is it fit to play home, the console are way better, cuz they are dedicated to gaming, with no "energy" constraint and not "weight" constraint.
_The fact that a console has her architecture not changing for years is an advantage, not an inconvenient.
It let the developpers optimize the games on it, and its why even now, game like "the last of us" can run better on a 8years old PS3 than on many PC.
Where the mobiles phone change resolution, characteristics, every 6month, and where they always have a lot of battery problem (cuz even if the technology of the battery evolve, the power and screen consumption evolve even faster)
_The multiplayer on smartphone is bad.

So now, Some of them have think a little about that, and their idea is that you want to evolve not with gaming, but with Augmented reality, like Google glass and stuff.
And its a real disapppointment.

So maybe it would be a good idea to make a general survey on it.
Cuz a lot of ppl here, developpers and even are waiting for a gaming device before all.
And we hope that this change of directions is not a decision of some sponsor of you. (we know how sponsors idea and conditions can be idiot sometime)
73 REPLIES 73

KatarnVR
Honored Guest
"Tgaud" wrote:

_The fact that a console has her architecture not changing for years is an advantage, not an inconvenient.
It let the developpers optimize the games on it, and its why even now, game like "the last of us" can run better on a 8years old PS3 than on many PC.

This is were you lost all credibility.

sven
Protege
I like this quote by Iribe from the Edge interview:
Like the mobile handset arms race, Iribe welcomed competitors into the VR space – it’ll speed up the development of the medium, he said.

Anyway, for mobile there are currently two possibilities: Either you use a Rift with a mobile phone (replacing the PC) or you use the mobile phone's screen and sensors as well as in the OpenDive.

barath
Honored Guest
"Tgaud" wrote:

Do you even know anything about PC gaming? Consoles ARE not only inconvenient they hold back the gaming industry and in some ways have damaged it. Lets see what consoles have done to the gaming industry in the past 8 years 1. Delayed\glitchy games 2. Dumbed-Down sequels. 3. Auto aim. 4. Horrible interfaces and controls 5. Less SDK's 6. No post release support, 7. Hardly anymore dedicated servers. And trust me an 8 year old PC could easily run "The last of us". Hate to tell you but your "gaming OS" doesn't mean anything. Sure consoles use less resources, but PC's also have 5x+ the resources so in the end it equals itself out. I can tell you right now my 3 year old desktop can max out bf3 at about 50FPS and everything but my GFX card is only at about 50% usage. CPU, ram, and HDD "barely" mean anything when it comes to gaming most of your FPS is from your graphic card. And well even "next gen" graphic card is considered MID END. Also if it was more "convenient" for developers than why does PC have 50+ exclusives every year where as consoles only have 2-3? There are some amazing game that are PC only some are even better than Halo, Uncharted, and The last of Us. Great thing about PC is it's free for devs where as consoles they have to pay upward to $70k to put games on and per patch.

Personally I'm happy there main focus is on PC, even though I don't understand this new obsession with mobile phones. But hey as long as there on PC i'll be happy.
Click, like & follow development. https://www.facebook.com/Guile3d

Tgaud
Honored Guest
Yes I'm happy too.
But your blame is not about console but about gamepad. (thats why the autoaim is for).

I'm sorry to tell u that but the game pc industry is a lot lower than the console.
And with kinect stuff & improvment, it will always be worse.
One of the main advantage of console is :
_You can play with friends on a TV.

The second advantage is that the hardware is standardised, and the game is optimized for the hardware.
Thats not bullshit when I say that the last of us is running better on a console than on severals computer.
Of course, it will never match a high gaming computer like you or I can have (3screen, 3d vision, SLI of graphic card, SSD & stuff) but for most casual ppl, a computer is not that powerful.

The second aspect is the price of the device.
At equal cost, who can pretend having a computer running game better than on a console ? No one.
Maybe you and I can afford a 2000$ PC, but for ppl only having 500$ in the pocket... Its good to buy a device that will manage to run pretty game on it for 8years, where your 2000$ PC will only manage to run the game smoothly for 2 or 3years.

A console is nothing more than a standardized PC, where the cost can be lowered (The ps3 was even sold at a lower price, than its production cost...)
Where all the power is available (a PC run a lot of useless stuff)
Where the hardware is optimized with the other hardware.
Where there is no driver problem
Where the developper can optimize the game.
Where all player are equal, and can't make any difference beetween them by having a bettter hardware.

I'm a PC gamer. Cuz i can afford it, and i dont like the compromises on quality.
But I can't deny that console represent a bigger market on gaming, and that only few ppl in comparaison, can afford a good experience pc gaming.

Anyway its not a Console VS PC topic.

Its a console vs smartphone topic.

geekmaster
Protege
There will eventually be usable and fun Rift-compatible apps for pretty much any device with an HDMI video output. Look at how popular Angry Birds is. A simple Rift-compatible VR game that does not burden small devices can become a killer app for them. This could be useful for a passenger on a long trip, or when playing in a remote location with no provisions for using a desktop PC. Many smartphones have plenty of power for simple gaming, even for the Rift.

Probably not a good idea to where a Rift while standing in line, though. And using gun-shaped game controllers in public may be a bad idea too.

The key to successful gaming on a small device is to play games that are well-suited for that device. Personally, I want to see what creativity can be applied to my Ouya to make it a successful portable Rift gaming device.

Tgaud
Honored Guest
The Oculus rift future with such idea :

😉

geekmaster
Protege
"KatarnVR" wrote:
"Tgaud" wrote:

This is were you lost all credibility.

I think in your quote that Tgaud was listing the opinions of OTHER people. In that case, perhaps he should have wrapped those statement s of the opinions of others in quotes or quote tags to eliminated such confusion. Other than that, I do not see any blatant flaws in Tgaud's post.

geekmaster
Protege
"Tgaud" wrote:
The Oculus rift future with such idea :

😐

That photo needs the quote "Just shooting the shit in my Oculus Rift".

"

barath
Honored Guest
"Tgaud" wrote:
I'm sorry to tell u that but the game pc industry is a lot lower than the console.
And with kinect stuff & improvment, it will always be worse.
One of the main advantage of console is :
_You can play with friends on a TV.

The second aspect is the price of the device.
At equal cost, who can pretend having a computer running game better than on a console ? No one.
Maybe you and I can afford a 2000$ PC, but for ppl only having 500$ in the pocket... Its good to buy a device that will manage to run pretty game on it for 8years, where your 2000$ PC will only manage to run the game smoothly for 2 or 3years.

Its a console vs smartphone topic.

Actually as of 2010 PC is a higher profit market than consoles. 2012 alone consoles brought in only $8million and PC almost $12million in game profits. And of course hardware wise PC gaming is at $30 billion a year.
http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/IgniteGT-PC-gaming-vs-CONSOLE-gaming1.png

Also you can build a Mid range gaming PC that has 2x the specs of a console for $100 more than the xbox 1 so about $600. Pc gaming is not expensive anymore. Sure back in the 80's and 90's PC gaming was super expensive but today and since about 2000 PC gaming is almost as cheap as consoles.

And also Mobile market bring is more money than all consoles and maybe even a % of the PC market combined. Even though I don't really know why? Watching video's on your phone using the rift would be nice but for game's probably not so much fun. Of course I guess i'm what most call a graphic whore though to. lol
Click, like & follow development. https://www.facebook.com/Guile3d