cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RiftQuake - Improved FPS view mode, looking for feedback

swax
Honored Guest
I'm not really happy with any of the view modes in TF2 so I created my own with Quake to demo how accurate, fast-paced FPS gaming can be done in the Rift. I'm interested in you guys trying out this demo and letting me know how it feels and what could be improved to make FPS gaming with the Rift even better than 2d.

Download here:
https://github.com/swax/Quakespasm-Rift/releases

Commands:
Use ~ to access the console
r_oculusrift 1 - to enable the rift
map e1m(1-8) - to go to any of the 8 maps in the demo
impulse 9 - to give all weapons
god - god mode 😉
11 REPLIES 11

MrGeddings
Explorer
ok this for some reason looks much better maybe i had it on a low setting. its recommended to play it at 1920 by 1080 as it gives a better quality then when i played it before.

the only problem is your gun feels like its sticking out of your stomach if theres some way to disable rendering your weapon that would be awesome.

great job though. seems to look MUCH better then when i played it before. does it work if you use the full version of quake i assume?

the only other issue i find is that it seems your a bit too low in hight some way to make your view a bit taller would be great. otherwise great job

IGameArt
Protege
He's not looking for feedback of that sort. He's looking for a review of the control scheme. The lack of antialiasing is what Quake is all about. It's oldschool gameplay. Hell i play it with linear filtering turned off for extra oldschool goodness. I'll give this a look and proper review momentarily.

EDIT: I gave it a good ten minutes, i really like the way that you have the hud set up, as of right now my only complaint is that you need to make it so when you're aiming up, it doesnt aim the camera up with the gun. The gun needs to decouple and aim up while your head continues to face straight forward. Otherwise it can get a little uncomfortable. However the hud looks great, I'd like to see you getting the main menu hud wokring with the rift as well.

drash
Heroic Explorer
This is pretty good -- I just jumped right in, controls felt very natural, and went 2 straight levels with the same sort of fury and frenzy that I usually have in monitor-based Quake. In fact, I was so gung-ho that in the back of my mind I was wondering if I would get motion sick at all -- fortunately I didn't, but I can imagine that being a good VR Legs test! 🙂

I like how the HUD was integrated into the weapon, but only glanced at it a few times (probably because I didn't get hurt that much on Normal mode). I did notice that it temporarily disappeared when I had Quad Damage on, but not a huge deal.

Good work!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

swax
Honored Guest
"MrGeddings" wrote:
the only other issue i find is that it seems your a bit too low in height some way to make your view a bit taller would be great. otherwise great job

If I change the player height it'd feel like you're hitting your head on low doors, but it seems like you didn't have a problem with the mouse aim control scheme which is good.

"IGameArt" wrote:
as of right now my only complaint is that you need to make it so when you're aiming up, it doesnt aim the camera up with the gun.

That's funny because the original mod uses this aiming scheme, as well as mode 5 in tf2. I didn't find it intuitive or accurate which was my primary motivation for creating this new view mode. I updated the build to 1.4 on the download page and now if you type 'r_oculusrift 2' it uses that mode. Please try both modes again and let me know how it works for you.

My aim was to make the 3d rift experience pretty much the same as the 2d experience where you can use the mouse to quickly aim on an object. What the rift should do for the gamer is give them a 'virtual 3d monitor' that is all around them - significantly improving the player's peripheral vision.

LordJuanlo
Protege
I just tried RiftQuake 1.4, here are my comments:

- Tower map did not work for me, I got the following error message: "couldn't spawn server maps/tower.bsp". I had to move the tower.bsp into ID1 folder to make it work. In your ZIP file it's on a maps folder at the same level than ID1.

- I LOVE the hud, just peeking down to see it is great.

- r_oculusrift mode 2 works very well, better than mode 1 for me. But I'm really used to vr_moveaim_mode 4 in Half-Life 2 and I miss it. Can you add create a "r_oculusrift mode 3" mixing 1 and 2 with a keyhole, similar to mode 4 in HL2? I'm just asking 😉

- Transparent water is buggy in Oculus Rift mode. I have processed all PAK files with VIS tools. In non-Oculus mode it works perfectly, but as soon as I enable Oculus mode 1 or 2, there is a hall of mirrors effect in some water surfaces like the 3 door entrances on main hall when starting the game (it's funny that when you enter through one of these portals, if you look back you have a portal to return to main hall. The water of this portal looks fine. By the way, I set r_wateralpha to 0.3.

And of course... THANK YOU for creating this
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

swax
Honored Guest
Just put up 1.5 on the release page. Lots of changes.

I'll put the transparent water on the bug list. Thanks for the feedback 🙂

ludotex
Honored Guest
Hello,

A huge thanks for making this. Quake 1 is one of my all time favorites (spent countless hours making maps and playing it in DM). I was really looking forward to this.

It felt great playing in the rift.

The weapon felt like it wasn't quite right though as I had to change eye focus to see it, but maybe it's normal because it's so close. Really that's a detail and it didn't bothered me.

I tried changing the FOV because I tought it felt a little tight in there. I tried FOV 110 but it didn't change anything. Shouldn't it be 110 for the rift instead of the defaut quake 90 degres ?
Vektron Revenge: 2015 vr mobile jam entry and DK2 Version Buddha Clubotron A virtual psychedelic dance club for the rift!

erick
Honored Guest
I had just tried out updating to v1.5. Love it but I had two major problems.

How should permanent mouse look be enabled? I've always just run "+mlook" from the configuration or console. I've found that, in RiftQuake, aiming up/down with the mouse also changes my view which is nauseating after awhile. I kind of like the aim to be independent of my view. Obviously horizontal mouse movements need to change your view so you can turn around. Vertical view changes with the mouse was bad for me though.

Also, there seems to be a good amount of drift which is only problematic because the view is independent of aim. The only way I've determined to reset the view is to change the r_oculusrift value in the console. Is there another way?

Not a big concern but I did notice that picking up a Pentagram of Protection causes the HUD to disappear. I wasn't paying attention if the same thing happens with a biosuit or Quad Damage.

swax
Honored Guest
New release is here - https://github.com/phoboslab/quakespasm-rift

It includes new aim modes. Also pressing the END key will reset your view if you're having a problem with drift.