New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Shipping from a global or local perspective?

Emvy-Emvy- Posts: 125
Hiro Protagonist
edited February 2016 in General
The queue lines are based on orders from a combined 20 countries.

I wonder though. What if the US distribution center has like 10.000 stock units and 40.000 pre-orders.

and the UK distribution center has like 10.000 stocks units and 20.000 pre-orders.

does this mean that the shipping date from people who ordered near the UK will get theirs sooner then the shown shipping date on the website like it was with pre-orders for Dk1 / Dk2?

Comments

• Oculus messed up big time on the pre-orders. They will not admit that though. They vastly underestimated how many they would sell.
  • Tim74UKTim74UK Posts: 1,369
    Nexus 6
    Oculus messed up big time on the pre-orders. They will not admit that though. They vastly underestimated how many they would sell.

That's not called a mess up...

That's called Success!!!
    My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10
  • Emvy-Emvy- Posts: 125
    Hiro Protagonist
    not really on topic though :)

I mean. it makes sense that they sent out X amount of CV1's to Y distribution center that can result into shorting waiting lists for a region right?

unless they sent out exact numbers based on pre-orders for say US vs EU but I doubt that.
  • Tim74UK wrote:
    Oculus messed up big time on the pre-orders. They will not admit that though. They vastly underestimated how many they would sell.

That's not called a mess up...

That's called Success!!!

Lol success. Some people are having to wait until July to get a pre-order. That is four months after the first people get a rift. That is not success that is failure. Oculus failed to keep up with demand. They got it wrong when they guesstimated who many they would sell. They have also failed in being able to employ more people and ramp up production to meet demand after they found out the vastly underestimated pre-order demand.

I fail to see why oculus cannot employ more people and train them up to make rifts. If they did that people wouldn't have to wait until July to get a rift. If demand drops off you sadly have to make people redundant. It's the way of the world.

Oculus don't care how long we have to wait to get a rift because they know we have no choice but to wait. They don't care that they kept lots of rifts for retailers and that by keeping lots of rifts for retailers it makes us wait even longer to get our pre-order. I bet oculus laugh when they see us all complaining about how long we have to wait for our pre-order. Oculus have us all over a barrel and they know it.
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    4 month pre-order backlog is both a success and a fail, depending how you look at it.

All in all I am leaning towards success though. It's not like anyway will stop wanting a Rift because of the Q
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    I fail to see why oculus cannot employ more people and train them up to make rifts. If they did that people wouldn't have to wait until July to get a rift. If demand drops off you sadly have to make people redundant. It's the way of the world.

I'm afraid it's not that simple. I have followed DK1 and DK2 production cycles. It's not like you have people manually assembling rifts ... to get more Rifts that you'd have to open another production line which can be pretty expensive. Once the backlog clears, what do you do with that extra factory you don't need?
  • ennogsennogs Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    przecinek wrote:

I'm afraid it's not that simple. I have followed DK1 and DK2 production cycles. It's not like you have people manually assembling rifts ... to get more Rifts that you'd have to open another production line which can be pretty expensive. Once the backlog clears, what do you do with that extra factory you don't need?

You close it and sell what manufacturing parts and things that you can. You have to speculate to accumulate.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    przecinek wrote:

And then to supply that production line your suppliers will all have to open more production lines...
  • crim3crim3 Posts: 385
    Nexus 6
    Oculus don't care how long we have to wait to get a rift because they know we have no choice but to wait. They don't care that they kept lots of rifts for retailers and that by keeping lots of rifts for retailers it makes us wait even longer to get our pre-order. I bet oculus laugh when they see us all complaining about how long we have to wait for our pre-order. Oculus have us all over a barrel and they know it.
    Always evil people managing companies...
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    [/quote]

Oculus don't care how long we have to wait to get a rift because they know we have no choice but to wait. They don't care that they kept lots of rifts for retailers and that by keeping lots of rifts for retailers it makes us wait even longer to get our pre-order. I bet oculus laugh when they see us all complaining about how long we have to wait for our pre-order. Oculus have us all over a barrel and they know it.[/quote]

But we 'do' have a choice. IMO, Oculus have messed up big time by not asking for any money up front. Vive is coming later this month, and probably PSVR before the summer. If there's a chance of getting one of these sooner (disregarding pricing/specs etc), we can cancel our Rift orders and go for one of these.

Pure speculation, but if Vive launches at the end of the month at a reasonable price, and they say we have so many thousand ready to ship now, how many Rift orders will be cancelled?

Oculus have a head start... but they're not using it.
  • ennogsennogs Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    I hope lots of people do cancel their rift order then I will get mine quicker. I would only cancel my rift order if we find out the vive is going to be a lot cheaper. Going by the rumours the vive is going to cost a lot more than the rift.

If the vive is only slightly cheaper than the rift then I will stick with the rift. Personally I think the rift is better than the vive.
  • sparkie14sparkie14 Posts: 381
    Nexus 6
    People who ordered for July were obviously not sitting by their computers at time of launch as it took quite a while to get to July shipment dates. If you were that concerned about getting one ASAP you would have sat at your machine zero counter and refreshed refreshed refreshed like all the other march orders did. Im March it was a ball ache to get my pre-order in but stuck with it. Manufacture on demand is and always will be good business sense. I wouldn't manufacture more of something than i might sell. Also oculus could have withheld all rifts until they had enough to ship to everyone so for me they can't win as you always get someone moaning about something.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    In theory they already know how many are needed at each distribution point at what time due to the pre orders so in thoery things should be as far as they can be.

I do remember I while back when people pre order Wiis from amazon and oders where then allocated to different warehouses. All fine but one warehouse didn't get the shipment so many of the first to order didn't get theres first.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w