cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone who compares the failure of 3D tvs to Oculus Rift

Trytiped
Adventurer
I consistently see people comparing the failure of 3D tvs to the Oculus and I cant understand why?
You know why 3D tvs failed? Because everyone ALREADY had a tv! Who in their right mind would spend a couple thousand dollars plus glasses just for a tv they already HAVE!? You know why the Oculus has so much potential is because
1. Absolutely new technology
2. Adds entirely new depth to entertainment
3. Opportunities to be used for medical and business purposes
4. You don't already have one at your house!
47 REPLIES 47

Well of course you're right, if the correct message gets across to those hard core gamers like my friend who told me he can play games in 1440p and some in 4K - why would he want to puke over something that isn't as good?

Now, i tried my best to explain that it's about the experience and i haven't felt queasy at all when using either dev kit but he wasn't listening - the only way is to get one on his head.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

ennogs
Expert Protege
"Trytiped" wrote:
I consistently see people comparing the failure of 3D tvs to the Oculus and I cant understand why?
You know why 3D tvs failed? Because everyone ALREADY had a tv! Who in their right mind would spend a couple thousand dollars plus glasses just for a tv they already HAVE!? You know why the Oculus has so much potential is because
1. Absolutely new technology
2. Adds entirely new depth to entertainment
3. Opportunities to be used for medical and business purposes
4. You don't already have one at your house!

You know why 3D tvs failed? Because everyone ALREADY had a tv

If that is the case then HD TV, 4K HD and ultra 4k HD would have failed because people already have a TV. 3D TV didn't fail because people already owned a TV. It failed because 3D gets boring quickly and there was and still is a lack of decent content.

If the rift doesn't get decent content and lots of it then the rift may also fail.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The people who compare the Rift to a 3D TV are most likely people who have not tried VR, and don't understand it. I think they believe that what you see in the VR headset is a big screen that is 3D, similar to a TV, but much bigger. I don't think they understand that what you look at is true 3D, similar to how we view the world we live in now with the amazing features of head tracking and positional tracking.

To me, the most obvious reason why 3D TV failed was because of the glasses, and headaches that were caused. I also hated the overdone 3D, where you had to strain your eyes to focus. VR is natural, easy on the eyes.

nosys70
Expert Protege
3D is not a failure, it is a technology that is here to stay.
but it has limited use and so it is a niche.
VR is a niche too,
Who has said the we will all get 3D TV displaying 3D content every hour of every day.
That is plain stupid as much as saying we will all wear a VR helmet a spend hours a day with it.
Those dreaming of VR being something universal like smartphones or tablets are just plain wrong (or 50 years too early).

VR helmet is an accessory to play VR content, like a 3D TV is an accessory to play 3D movies.
the hardware will only reflect the offer of the content available.
Like you don't expect every TV program or movie to be in 3D, you don't expect everything to turn VR, just because
it is hot today.
Especially if you consider the gap between the price tag and the service offered.
3D on most TV is free, but a very few people spend the additional 100$ to get a pair of glasses or even the additional 10$ to get the 3D bluray version.

Another point to consider is the ability to create content.
what killed CD was the missing ability to record them. It started way too late.
Every storage media that is released without the recording ability is doomed to fail.
shooting 3D is also difficult , and you can count on one hand the 3d cameras avaialble.
So 3D can be compared to a read-only media.
Shooting 4K for a 4K TV is avaialble almost with the first 4K TVs. Almost any camera on the market can now shoot 4k.

Creating VR content is awfully difficult (and include creating 3D content).

I think 3D TV was a bit of a failure... it was hyped by the electronics industry because they need new tech to arrive every few years to keep sales high. I remember when 'HQ' stickers started appearing on VCR's way back when, in order to sell them as new tech... so at least 3D is a real function mixed in with the sales hype.
In reality it just isn't convenient, you can't watch 3D unless everyone in the room who wants to watch the program wears the glasses... it's either a little dim (if you have the passive) or dim & flickery (if you have the active shutter), not to mention wearing the things over prescription glasses... and did it really add that much to the experience?
Program providers in the UK at least made up their minds and quietly dropped the service and I can understand why, and it's the industry hype of these minor technologies that can taint people's view of truly major tech like VR.

VR has some similarities in that it's not the most convenient thing to wear yet, and it could be argued that it's being hyped a little in order to improve PC/console/component sales, but the difference is it does something unique by putting you in the game.
Watching a virtual cinema in VR is something of a non-starter, for me at least, as it's just a better all-round experience sitting back and watching a large-screen TV. But for just about everything else, VR really does add a lot to the experience.

Synthetic
Rising Star
Content.... search for blue ray 3d movies.... prolly less than 10 results (hobbit and a few others)

VR already has quite a bit of content with many 360 videos every day, I dont have enough time to keep up with all the new ones TBH. 360 cameras like the kodak, samsung and nokia are starting to make there way into stores so there will be a huge increase to content.

Games are coming on thick and fast and many games have 100+ hours of content. so much content already in games that you have to choose between a few and that is only going to increase.

not only that but its silly comparing a limited screen such as a flat panel 30inch LCD compared to HMDs that shutter your world and basically is surrounding you in pixels, with all sorts of tracking to fooling the consciousness into thinking you are there...
StreetViewVR you can spend 20 min in and go to all those places you have wanted... in the future this will be a live stream also and not a static video....

lol we will end up paying for concerts and events for the video stream to HMDs instead of actually going there IRL mark my words.

3d TVs don't have the dynamic platform, as they ran on a TV... a win PC can code basically anything visual for them with plugins, apps and programs

cybereality
Grand Champion
"synthetic" wrote:
Content.... search for blue ray 3d movies.... prolly less than 10 results (hobbit and a few others)

No. That's not true at all. There are over 600 3D Blu-Ray films.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search.ph ... ion=search

There are hundreds of currently for sale 3DTVs on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/b?node=5969289011

In any case, I wouldn't consider 3D a failure. The hype has died down, for sure, but most of the biggest films each year continue to release in 3D. Most popular consumer hardware (like PS4, for example) support 3D Blu-Rays by default, and many TVs have a 3D option. It may be niche, but it hasn't died.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Synthetic
Rising Star
I stand corrected from cybereality.... when I searched for movies to play in Cineveo... I could only find Hobbit, Terminator Genisis, and Star Trek that I wanted In .avi/.mkv codec to play

I do hear stories of people getting 3d TVs and then not using the stereoscopic media only 2d.

VizionVR
Rising Star
The only time I've seen 3D TVs compared to VR is when it's used as a cautionary tale about content for new media hardware. Content (or lack thereof) can make or break VR just like it could make or break 3D TV.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.