New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Multiple Headsets on one PC?

philterinophilterino Posts: 77
Hiro Protagonist
edited February 2016 in General
So i was checking out this

It got me thiking about running 2 headsets on one system.

a fast 8 core CPU with 2 980ti graphics cards and fast storage.

Think it would work?

Comments

• Vega55Vega55 Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    At a first glance I do not see a reason why you would need extra computing power to add another headset. It is basically like a second screen which duplicates the image, so no extra power needed.
  • LKostyraLKostyra Posts: 263
    Vega55 wrote:
    It is basically like a second screen which duplicates the image, so no extra power needed.
    Duplicating the image to other person's HMD seems like a guaranteed VR sickness, eh?

Additional GPU is needed. Each HMD must have its own image rendered with its own position/orientation sampling provided for the game.

Answering OP: I see some factors which must be met in order for this to work:
    * Runtime supporting two HMDs at once on separate GPUs
    * Game supporting two HMDs and separately calculating all the data for them

These might be overcome as Linus did - by setting up a Linux distro with GPU passthrough, however this might introduce minor latency. Plus, the games would be completely separate from each other, meaning no local coop available.
    DK1: Received
    DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received
    CV1: (Jan 6) Pending
    Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM
  • Vega55Vega55 Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Well there are two different approaches:

1 - if it is simply duplicating then a single GPU (with 2 hdmi's) should be fine
    2 - but if you want smth like in Linus show, where a PC was basically like a network workstation running multiple instances of a game then of course you will need to scale your PC power accordingly.
    But why?
  • AshlesAshles Posts: 515
    Art3mis
    Vega55 wrote:

1 - if it is simply duplicating then a single GPU (with 2 hdmi's) should be fine
    You wouldn't be simply duplicating as you are not going to be looking around identically to the other person and it has to render what is in your field of view so it is rendering 2 different scenes.
    (If you did just literally show what the other person is seeing then you would probably be sick in about 2 seconds.)
    "Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."
  • LKostyraLKostyra Posts: 263
    Vega55 wrote:

2 - but if you want smth like in Linus show, where a PC was basically like a network workstation running multiple instances of a game then of course you will need to scale your PC power accordingly.
    But why?
    Because 1) would be painful for the person who receives the duplicated image. You basically would see what someone else sees, however including their head movements and rotation, which is different from your position and orientation. A definitive motion sickness, if you ask me.

In order to share the game between two people, you must redraw the picture twice - once for player, once for spectator. This is only because you need to separate spectator's head movements from player's head movement. And for that, you need another GPU (plus Runtime/SDK and Game support for second HMD, but that's another story).
    DK1: Received
    DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received
    CV1: (Jan 6) Pending
    Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM
  • Tim74UKTim74UK Posts: 1,330
    Nexus 6
    I don't see the need for this other than to just do it cause it's fun and cause you can say you did it.

I love Linus Tech don't get me wrong. But really I can't see any advantage to doing the above over buying seven gaming pc's, other than perhaps power consumption and physical space requirements.

In fact I can see a whole host of reasons (no pun intended) to not do the above, such as if there is a hardware issue on one component it effects all etc...
    My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10
  • philterinophilterino Posts: 77
    Hiro Protagonist
    I was thinking that quite a few will be building monster builds anyway with 2 GPUs for SLI or whatever.

If you could do some shared experiences on the one machine like the touch demo type think or 3d painting or just 2 players playing a racing game or something.
  • FokkerFaceFokkerFace Posts: 167
    Hiro Protagonist
    Linus essentially runs 8 VMs on 1 rig, therefore nothing stops you from running 2 VMs on a rig that can pull it off with VR.
    Basically you need a mobo with 6 usb3.0 ports + 2 usb2.0 ports exclusively for Rifts, plus as many USB's as you need for other peripherals like mice and keyboards and USB sound cards - everyone wants to have sound in their game, right?
    DK2 sold
    Rift - preordered, shipment estimate March 28. cancelled.
    MSI X99A RAIDER, i7-5820K + Corsair H110i GTX, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64 GB (4x16GB Quad Channel), AMD Radeon R9 Fury X, SSD RAID0 (2x256GB Sata3 A-Data SX900), OCZ ZX 850W 80+
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    edited February 2016
    In E:D it would be a fantastic feature to fly as a team through space while sitting next to each other irl, using a single PC. Sure, it sounds like a great idea, but hardware isn't quite there yet. Give it another generation or two.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • crim3crim3 Posts: 385
    Nexus 6
    I think it will always be easier to use two computers.
  • helifrekhelifrek Posts: 114
    Hiro Protagonist
    This would be awesome for me as I love playing games with the wife, being able to run two rifts on one computer,even if I had to buy another 980 ti would be much better than buying a whole new computer!
    i5-6600k, 980 ti, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, 16Gb RAM. Whoohoooo!!!!! finally all built and running!
    CV1 pre-ordered (July)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,441 Volunteer Moderator
    The Oculus sdk currently does not support more than one rift on a pc.

Maybe a VM approach as mentioned above could work, I'd imagine that with all the low level stuff going on with direct mode things could get messy. Plus you wouldn't have one copy of the game running, so you'd need networking anyway to run. At that point you might as well have two physical pcs. While more expensive, it's far more flexible (for example they can be moved around independently when needed).
  • CyrilCyril Posts: 1,206
    3Jane
    It makes more sense to duplicate the CV1 output to your computer monitor then to a second CV1, and it's more like Oculus VR had to go out of it's way to switch off that computer monitor to reduce CV1 lag instead...

But I'm guessing (just guessing) there's nothing preventing you from using your own external box to SPLIT the external HMDI signal between two outputs, as long as you can choose one that doesn't add any lag to the CV1 output (the lag of the secondary monitor output doesn't matter one bit).

And that in the near future, more VR oriented GPUs will allow you to do just that : Duplicate the CV1 output to a secondary display, without adding a single ms of lag to the CV1.
  • cyberblade6669cyberblade6669 Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    I run my dk2 and cv1 on mine the dk2 studders a little but me and the wife watch movies games are a no go  2x xeon x5650 @ 4ghz stable ek water block  evga classified sr-2 motherboard 128gb ddr3 1333 dual gtx 980ti sli water cooled  ek sli full plate water blocks still get the

Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications" message in Oculus Home

• William91367William91367 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I for one like to watch 3d movies in my Oculus. The problem is I would like to do so with my wife. We cant right now so having two headsets would be nice. I suppose we could use my gaming laptop as a second machine and start the movie at the same time but that would be clunky.