New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Vive weight 555g. Rift weight 470g

VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
Wintermute
edited March 2016 in General
Edit: According to this, Rift CV1 weighs 470g. Thanks to Kojack for providing link.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... vs/d0f4vzn

According to this post, Vive weight is 555 g without wires
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/ ... e_hmd_on_a

DK2 is 440 g without wires

So now can Oculus PLEASE post the weight of the CV Rift? It's only fair considering we already ordered them.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,498 Valuable Player
    VizionVR wrote:
    According to this post, Vive weight is 555 g without wires
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/ ... e_hmd_on_a

DK2 is 440 g without wires

So now can Oculus PLEASE post the weight of the CV Rift? It's only fair considering we already ordered them.

The weight and size of the Vive was always my biggest fear.

That and tripping over a cable when playing Tekken 8 :D
  • LKostyraLKostyra Posts: 263
    VizionVR wrote:
    Nope, they probably cannot. NDA, confidentiality and other formal businessy stuff.
    DK1: Received
    DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received
    CV1: (Jan 6) Pending
    Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    The formal businessy stuff IS going to start losing them customers. It's getting ridiculous just how tight lipped they're being.
  • They probably won't release it because getting into a pissing match in a g for g comparison is pointless and misleading. It's not going to take into account the engineering of the HMD, things like weight distribution and components.The Rift's "baseball cap" feel could be significantly more comfortable even if it's not all that much lighter, or, for all we know at this point, the Vive will turn out to be the more comfortable device (though I highly doubt it).
    Wintermute
    They probably won't release it because getting into a pissing match in a g for g comparison is pointless and misleading. It's not going to take into account the engineering of the HMD, things like weight distribution and components.The Rift's "baseball cap" feel could be significantly more comfortable even if it's not all that much lighter, or, for all we know at this point, the Vive will turn out to be the more comfortable device (though I highly doubt it).

A pissing match is one thing, but releasing enough information for people who are prepared to spend a considerable amount of money on their product to be able to make an informed decision on whether said product is right for them is another. Rift has been available for pre-order for the best part of two months. Vive isn't even on pre-order yet, but it still seems as though there are far more details available on Vive than Rift.
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    edited February 2016
    notsram wrote:
    They probably won't release it because getting into a pissing match in a g for g comparison is pointless and misleading. It's not going to take into account the engineering of the HMD, things like weight distribution and components.The Rift's "baseball cap" feel could be significantly more comfortable even if it's not all that much lighter, or, for all we know at this point, the Vive will turn out to be the more comfortable device (though I highly doubt it).

A pissing match is one thing, but releasing enough information for people who are prepared to spend a considerable amount of money on their product to be able to make an informed decision on whether said product is right for them is another. Rift has been available for pre-order for the best part of two months. Vive isn't even on pre-order yet, but it still seems as though there are far more details available on Vive than Rift.

This.

HTC has no limitations on review details since Vive Pres were released to the public. There are zero NDAs for Vive hardware reviewers now.

At this point in the game, product weight is hardly a trade secret, especially since we already ordered the items. Does Oculus plan to release this information ever? Or do we just keep guessing about things like this, and tracking, and Touch, and content...
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,498 Valuable Player
    What was the weight of the DK2? Everybody who has tried both says the CV is a lot less.
    Wintermute
    edited February 2016
    andyring wrote:
    What was the weight of the DK2? Everybody who has tried both says the CV is a lot less.

DK2 is 440 g without wires. "A lot less" tells us nothing. That's a ballpark estimate. :)

I'd think Oculus would be proud to announce their HMD weight.
  • It might just be so that they don't know. And if they just guess you will be pist and call them liars if the numbers turn up wrong then you have rift in hand.
    Wintermute
    Karmeck wrote:
    It might just be so that they don't know. And if they just guess you will be pist and call them liars if the numbers turn up wrong then you have rift in hand.

Oculus knows the weight of their own Rift. Just like they know what the optimal FOV is, and if 360 room scale is possible, and the allowable tracking distance of their cameras, and about two dozen other things we need to know in order to make an accurate purchase decision.
    Wintermute
    VizionVR wrote:
    Karmeck wrote:
    It might just be so that they don't know. And if they just guess you will be pist and call them liars if the numbers turn up wrong then you have rift in hand.

Oculus knows the weight of their own Rift. Just like they know what the optimal FOV is, and if 360 room scale is possible, and the allowable tracking distance of their cameras, and about two dozen other things we need to know in order to make an accurate purchase decision.

^This^

The thing is finalised. has been for several months. All the details are there, it's just that Oculus are choosing not to release them, for whatever reason. The paranoid side of me is starting to wonder just why they're not telling us anything.
    Wintermute
    edited February 2016
    All those other things aside. All I want to know is, how much does the item I pre-ordered weigh (without wires attached)?

How about this then? If Oculus refuses to tell us details like weight ( :roll: ) and we're not happy with our purchase, does the Rift come with a satisfaction money back guarantee?
  • GoobersGoobers Posts: 294
    Art3mis
    LKostyra wrote:
    VizionVR wrote:
    Nope, they probably cannot. NDA, confidentiality and other formal businessy stuff.
    What NDA? That only applies to people that do reviews and testing, not Oculus themselves.

In any case, the OP stated that the DK2 was 440g without wires... and people that have tested the CV1 (at demos at events) claim that its lighter.

Doesn't that already translate into lighter than the Vive?

How specific do want?
    Wintermute
    VizionVR wrote:
    All those other things aside. All I want to know is, how much does the item I pre-ordered weigh (without wires attached)?

How about this then? If Oculus refuses to tell us details like weight ( :roll: ) and we're not happy with our purchase, does the Rift come with a satisfaction money back guarantee?

I think this has been discussed in another thread (yet another example of information being next to impossible to find), but I can't remember the details. AFAIK, In the UK at least, anything you buy sight unseen is covered by the distance selling regulations. You have the right to return it if you don't like it.
    Wintermute
    Goobers wrote:
    LKostyra wrote:
    VizionVR wrote:
    What NDA? That only applies to people that do reviews and testing, not Oculus themselves.

In any case, the OP stated that the DK2 was 440g without wires... and people that have tested the CV1 (at demos at events) claim that its lighter.

How specific do want?

Knowing the actual weight would be nice. Is it 20 grams lighter? 100? In my entire life I've never purchased something and not known something as ridiculously simple as the weight of the item.
    Wintermute
    Goobers wrote:
    LKostyra wrote:
    VizionVR wrote:

How specific do want?

Personally, I'm not that bothered about the weight. It's less actual weight of the CV1 and more how that weight is distributed that'll have most effect on how comfortable the thing is.

What I don't understand if why Oculus are being so quiet about everything. This thing is allegedly shipping in a months time. Bit late to change the specs or for anyone else to copy any secret weapon that the Rift may have to gain an advantage, so why not be more forthcoming?
    Wintermute
    notsram wrote:
    VizionVR wrote:

I think this has been discussed in another thread (yet another example of information being next to impossible to find), but I can't remember the details. AFAIK, In the UK at least, anything you buy sight unseen is covered by the distance selling regulations. You have the right to return it if you don't like it.

Unfortunately I'm in the U.S. where corporations can and will sway consumer protection rights. But let's not get into that discussion, please.
    Art3mis
    VizionVR wrote:
    Knowing the actual weight would be nice. Is it 20 grams lighter? 100? In my entire life I've never purchased something and not known something as ridiculously simple as the weight of the item.
    okay
    notsram wrote:
    Personally, I'm not that bothered about the weight. It's less actual weight of the CV1 and more how that weight is distributed that'll have most effect on how comfortable the thing is.

What I don't understand if why Oculus are being so quiet about everything. This thing is allegedly shipping in a months time. Bit late to change the specs or for anyone else to copy any secret weapon that the Rift may have to gain an advantage, so why not be more forthcoming?
    I also don't understand the silence... but then again, I don't care much either.

I've already gathered from the various youtube demos and whatever that the Rift is comfortable and lightweight. Some say stuff about the head strap helping hold it in place easily enough... etc.
    Wintermute
    I was pretty disappointed this morning when I learned the weight of the Vive. 555 g is a considerable weight. Having read countless articles about how "light" the Vive "feels", knowing the actual weight really put things into perspective.

I'm also reading countless articles about how "light" the Rift "feels", and it would be beneficial to have some perspective on that as well.
    Wintermute
    Goobers wrote:

I've already gathered from the various youtube demos and whatever that the Rift is comfortable and lightweight. Some say stuff about the head strap helping hold it in place easily enough... etc.

This is my point. You've got your info from youtube and other sources. Not from Oculus. It's almost as if they're trying to put us off buying the thing.
    Wintermute
    notsram wrote:
    Goobers wrote:

This is my point. You've got your info from youtube and other sources. Not from Oculus. It's almost as if they're trying to put us off buying the thing.

I don't think that's the reason for being quiet. Business articles are starting to discuss Oculus' marketing strategies.
    Here's one that specifically discusses why the price was not revealed till order day.
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/07/oculu ... ting-ploy/

Basically, Oculus is riding a negativity wave for attention.
    Wintermute
    VizionVR wrote:
    notsram wrote:
    Goobers wrote:

I don't think that's the reason for being quiet. Business articles are starting to discuss Oculus' marketing strategies.
    Here's one that specifically discusses why the price was not revealed till order day.
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/07/oculu ... ting-ploy/

Basically, Oculus is riding a negativity wave for attention.

Interesting article... but I'm not sure how much good this method will prove if, come Monday, HTC disclose full specs of the Vive and give an actual idea of when you'll get your hands on it, plus a definite cost.

*edit* and, don't forget, this is HTC. Years of experience in mass manufacture of tech products. They could well have a large amount ready to ship on Monday.
    Wintermute
    notsram wrote:
    Interesting article... but I'm not sure how much good this method will prove if, come Monday, HTC disclose full specs of the Vive and give an actual idea of when you'll get your hands on it, plus a definite cost.

*edit* and, don't forget, this is HTC. Years of experience in mass manufacture of tech products. They could well have a large amount ready to ship on Monday.

It works for Apple.
  • AnotherCrazyCanadianAnotherCrazyCanadian Posts: 321
    Nexus 6
    Jeez, I seriously hope it doesn't weigh that much. If you've used the DK2 for any extended period of time you know how tired your neck gets afterward. And that weighs less than the Vive at this rate! They're going to have to make it seriously compelling to justify the weight problem.
    Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?
    Wintermute
    VizionVR wrote:
    notsram wrote:

It works for Apple.

True! But Apple have a specific fan base. They could release a VR headset made out of aluminium and costing four times the price of Rift and the Apple sheep, errr, I mean fans would still queue round the block to get one. With Apple, you pay a huge premium for the name. I'm not saying their products are bad, far from it, but they are hugely overpriced.
  • Jeez, I seriously hope it doesn't weigh that much. If you've used the DK2 for any extended period of time you know how tired your neck gets afterward. And that weighs less than the Vive at this rate! They're going to have to make it seriously compelling to justify the weight problem.

My neck has never gotten tired from wearing the DK2, even after many hours of use. My face gets a little uncomfortable from having something pressed up against it, but that is easily mitigated by taking an occasional break.

Maybe I just have an awesome neck though :lol:
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,079
    Wintermute
    notsram wrote:
    True! But Apple have a specific fan base. They could release a VR headset made out of aluminium and costing four times the price of Rift and the Apple sheep, errr, I mean fans would still queue round the block to get one. With Apple, you pay a huge premium for the name. I'm not saying their products are bad, far from it, but they are hugely overpriced.

Apple will wait for Oculus, HTC and others to work through the issues in VR, then they'll release a thoroughly debugged device with a polished interface that buyers know will be supported for as long as the hardware is capable of running the apps and games decently.

I'm not a big fan of Apple desktops, but, in the tablet and phone market, the higher price is justified by the fact that they actually support their devices, unlike Android. My Android phone has apparently reached the end of its OS upgrades after less than a year, and even Google only seem to support their devices for a couple of years after release.

One of the reasons I'm more likely to buy Rift than Vive is because I don't expect a cellphone company like HTC to support their hardware for long.
    Art3mis
    edmg wrote:
    My Android phone has apparently reached the end of its OS upgrades after less than a year
    That sounds more of an issue with your phone carrier (as they tend to need to implement carrier related changes). Some are more willing than others to produce updates later on.
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,079
    Wintermute
    Goobers wrote:
    That sounds more of an issue with your phone carrier (as they tend to need to implement carrier related changes). Some are more willing than others to produce updates later on.

Nope, I have the latest OS available. It's a couple of major revisions behind Google, and the manufacturer is done with it, even though you can still buy the phone new in a store today. Apple currently support all but their oldest mobile devices, and don't rely on the phone company pushing out updates.

Back on topic, I'm guessing Apple will also be willing to spend as much money as required to make their HMD as light and comfortable as possible with available technology and materials at the time.

As for Oculus, I'm guessing they don't want to say 'the Rift weighs 386g' (or whatever) today, and then the version they actually ship next month weights 389g after some last-minute change.